Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Request: Change “Professional” Forum name to "HD / DIY Plumbing Discussion"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Request: Change “Professional” Forum name to "HD / DIY Plumbing Discussion"

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']On may subjects I am certainly not the most qualified to participate in this Professional Plumbing Discussion, but I am licensed, insured and bonded, which in my view qualifies me at some minimum level to participate in the Professional Plumbing Discussion. However, I am beginning to wander if being qualified as a professional really matters in the Professional Plumbing Discussion forum?[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']In my view, "Professional Plumbing Discussion" implies that the people participating in the forum have achieved some level of professional status; either by required licensing, insurance and bonding, or through employment by a qualified agency or contractor. In my view, working as a plumber without a license, bonding, or insurance in any capacity does not qualify a person as a professional plumber.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']At first I found the posts by at least one unqualified individual funny, but now I am coming to the opinion that by allowing people to represent themselves as "professional" when they are not, this forum is misleading, harmfull to the image of the plumbing profession, and potentially damaging to any person that views the opinion of a non-qualified person in this discussion as legitamate. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Since unqualified individual(s) continue to participate "unleashed" in this Professional Plumbing discussion, I am wandering about Ridgid's commitment to the professional plumber. The Ridgid Forum is an appreciated and valuable asset, but ultimately the reason for the existence of the forum must be to increase Ridgid product sales. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Does Ridgid intend to increase sales in the Home Depot/DIY market, as well as the professional plumbing market, by providing two very distinct discussions where the handyman and "do it yourselfer" can interact with the professional plumber in "Ask the Plumbing Experts", and professional plumbers may interact with other professional plumbers in the "Professional Plumbing Discussion"? If so, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between "Ask the Plumbing Experts" and "Professional Plumbing Discussion".[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']What are your thoughts? Maybe Ridgid should give up on "Professional Plumbing Discussion" and call it what it is fast becoming, the "HD / DIY / Self Appointed Plumber & Professional Plumbing Discussion". [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Or, perhaps Ridgid should enforce qualifications for participants in the "Professional Plumbing Discussion"? This way, professionals can talk to professionals, self appointed plumbers can talk to professional plumbers, and everyone is talking in the capacity of which they are qualified.[/FONT]
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Re: Official Request: Change “Professional” Forum name to "HD / DIY Plumbing Discussi

Some of your post came through with the computer code/text with it on my end.

But I think I got the idea. I've thought the same thing. Be required to submit your license# for your IP to be allowed into the professional section. But I don't think that will ever happen. Josh and others can't be expected to police the forum to that degree.

Besides, life wouldn't be as interesting without a few idiots sprinkled around.

J.C.

Comment

Re: Official Request: Change “Professional” Forum name to "HD / DIY Plumbing Discussi

We have that same discussion every few months

Looks like neither one of you were around last time it came up

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15094
      Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-21-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

On may subjects I am certainly not the most qualified to participate in this Professional Plumbing Discussion, but I am licensed, insured and bonded, which in my view qualifies me at some minimum level to participate in the Professional Plumbing Discussion. However, I am beginning to wander if being qualified as a professional really matters in the Professional Plumbing Discussion forum?

In my view, "Professional Plumbing Discussion" implies that the people participating in the forum have achieved some level of professional status; either by required licensing, insurance and bonding, or through employment by a qualified agency or contractor. In my view, working as a plumber without a license, bonding, or insurance in any capacity does not qualify a person as a professional plumber.

At first I found the posts by at least one unqualified individual funny, but now I am coming to the opinion that by allowing people to represent themselves as "professional" when they are not, this forum is misleading, harmfull to the image of the plumbing profession, and potentially damaging to any person that views the opinion of a non-qualified person in this discussion as legitamate.

Since unqualified individual(s) continue to participate "unleashed" in this Professional Plumbing discussion, I am wandering about Ridgid's commitment to the professional plumber. The Ridgid Forum is an appreciated and valuable asset, but ultimately the reason for the existence of the forum must be to increase Ridgid product sales.

Does Ridgid intend to increase sales in the Home Depot/DIY market, as well as the professional plumbing market, by providing two very distinct discussions where the handyman and "do it yourselfer" can interact with the professional plumber in "Ask the Plumbing Experts", and professional plumbers may interact with other professional plumbers in the "Professional Plumbing Discussion"? If so, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between "Ask the Plumbing Experts" and "Professional Plumbing Discussion".

What are your thoughts? Maybe Ridgid should give up on "Professional Plumbing Discussion" and call it what it is fast becoming, the "HD / DIY / Self Appointed Plumber & Professional Plumbing Discussion".

Or, perhaps Ridgid should enforce qualifications for participants in the "Professional Plumbing Discussion"? This way, professionals can talk to professionals, self appointed plumbers can talk to professional plumbers, and everyone is talking in the capacity of which they are qualified.

Much better
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

sorry didn't read the topic right it didn't display in plain text.
          Last edited by Cuda; 06-21-2008, 02:54 PM.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Read the disclaimer at the top.

Comment

I believe we need to remember what one of the driving forces was for creating this Forum and try to respect it. As some of you know Plumbdog recently passed away but he was always after us to keep the Forum for professional plumbers and free from all the other BS. I think we should learn to police the site ourselves without being rude but by not replying to an out of place thread. We are all guilty of it but what does birthday wishes, gas prices, planned vacations and toilets in outer space have to do with professional plumbers?

Part of policing the Forum must include relocating misplaced threads. If your thread happens to get moved to Open Discussion or whatever don't take it personal take it as your sacrifice for the betterment of the forum.

Mark
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-21-2008, 03:36 PM.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                On may subjects I am certainly not the most qualified to participate in this Professional Plumbing Discussion, but I am licensed, insured and bonded, which in my view qualifies me at some minimum level to participate in the Professional Plumbing Discussion. However, I am beginning to wander if being qualified as a professional really matters in the Professional Plumbing Discussion forum?

In my view, "Professional Plumbing Discussion" implies that the people participating in the forum have achieved some level of professional status; either by required licensing, insurance and bonding, or through employment by a qualified agency or contractor. In my view, working as a plumber without a license, bonding, or insurance in any capacity does not qualify a person as a professional plumber.

At first I found the posts by at least one unqualified individual funny, but now I am coming to the opinion that by allowing people to represent themselves as "professional" when they are not, this forum is misleading, harmfull to the image of the plumbing profession, and potentially damaging to any person that views the opinion of a non-qualified person in this discussion as legitamate.

Since unqualified individual(s) continue to participate "unleashed" in this Professional Plumbing discussion, I am wandering about Ridgid's commitment to the professional plumber. The Ridgid Forum is an appreciated and valuable asset, but ultimately the reason for the existence of the forum must be to increase Ridgid product sales.

Does Ridgid intend to increase sales in the Home Depot/DIY market, as well as the professional plumbing market, by providing two very distinct discussions where the handyman and "do it yourselfer" can interact with the professional plumber in "Ask the Plumbing Experts", and professional plumbers may interact with other professional plumbers in the "Professional Plumbing Discussion"? If so, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between "Ask the Plumbing Experts" and "Professional Plumbing Discussion".

What are your thoughts? Maybe Ridgid should give up on "Professional Plumbing Discussion" and call it what it is fast becoming, the "HD / DIY / Self Appointed Plumber & Professional Plumbing Discussion".

Or, perhaps Ridgid should enforce qualifications for participants in the "Professional Plumbing Discussion"? This way, professionals can talk to professionals, self appointed plumbers can talk to professional plumbers, and everyone is talking in the capacity of which they are qualified.

Much better
                Thanks for the clean-up of my post. I guess that what happens when you draft in Word 2007 and copy/paste into the browser. Looked fine until I hit submit.
                spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  We have that same discussion every few months

Looks like neither one of you were around last time it came up

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15094
                  I am sure that it has come up more than once, but it is not fixing itself either. Considering that people are becoming openly antagonistic, it seems to me that something needs to be done.
                  spodelee

Comment

I guess there are some that represent them selfs as licensed when they are in fact not. I am not. I also have never collected a penny as a residential or commercial plumber. I have plumbed #200 steam for many years professionally, legally, and competently so. The railroad has it's own laws, unchalanged by local or state law.
                    I recently posted my opinion about pipe thread and fitting lubricants, if my lack of a license offends anyone I am sorry. But I guess there are issues here on this forum that go far deeper than I am aware of. One of the reasons I chose to use my name instead of a "handle" is to remind myself that what I post must always be the truth, at least as best as I can. I read the stuff posted here and gain allot of knowledge. Every once in a while if I know something, I'll keep posting unless the majority objects. Just say the word.
                    Steve.

Comment

I "had" 8 years of experience in the plumbing and heating area and "had" my boilers license. But I gave that up to go into contracting business, because I love to build more so. I have a MN Contractor License and I still do small plumbing issues which is legal here for me to do. I hire out my Plumbing to License Plumbers for the remodels and new builds, thus I deal with Plumbers all of the time, not daily but certainly a lot of days in the year time.

I feel as if I belong here with you guys, most of you are most definitely who I would call friends. I rarely give out plumbing answers but I do partake in some stuff that gets talked about. But I don't have a Plumbers License, nope. So I would think that I would be excluded from this area and what about retired Plumbers who no longer has a License.

As Utah said, the Plumbers here needs to handle this matter. So if you want guys like me out of there, then do say so to me or whoever, directly. Sounds to me like someone is mad at someone, if that's the case then address that issue. There is also a few apprentices in here I'm sure, and partaking in discussions is rather good for them, you guys have a lot of knowledge to be a mentor to them, unless you want nothing to do with that. Anyhow, my 2 cent worth on this again.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
                        I guess there are some that represent them selfs as licensed when they are in fact not. I am not. I also have never collected a penny as a residential or commercial plumber. I have plumbed #200 steam for many years professionally, legally, and competently so. The railroad has it's own laws, unchalanged by local or state law.
                        I recently posted my opinion about pipe thread and fitting lubricants, if my lack of a license offends anyone I am sorry. But I guess there are issues here on this forum that go far deeper than I am aware of. One of the reasons I chose to use my name instead of a "handle" is to remind myself that what I post must always be the truth, at least as best as I can. I read the stuff posted here and gain allot of knowledge. Every once in a while if I know something, I'll keep posting unless the majority objects. Just say the word.
                        Steve.
                        Having worked with hi pressure steam many times in my life, I for one welcome and respect your advice.

I personally have no problem with how the forum operates. Sure we get off topic a lot and yes some threads do drag on and on and we have ocassionally ragged on the terminally stupid. But over all this is probably the best forum of it's kind on the web. It's so good that I frequently use the advice from members as talking points for my classes.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stevan Sweeney View Post
                          Steve.
                          The key here is that you perform your craft legally, as per your post. You are probably more qualified than I am - I just want the discussion to be professional and on topic.
                          spodelee

Comment

i live and work in PA and i do HVAC /pipe fitting work .i do water heaters ,boilers ,duct work , conduction lines ,air lines ,food processing lines and a lot of other things for over 20yrs. i do not need to have a license to do this work .

i did plumbing in NY 20yrs ago for 6yrs and at that time no license either .

so does that mean i cant give advice to some one looking for help
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                              The key here is that you perform your craft legally, as per your post. You are probably more qualified than I am - I just want the discussion to be professional and on topic.
                              I think I understand what your saying here. I also tend to think that the answer is done to any question, relatively quick. Then more answers come with a slight different version and sometimes a debate happens. After that, the chatting gets going and the threads seems to get deviated from its course. But the answers are still there and in most case nothing else can really be said. And anyone at anytime can bring the topic right back into play.

That's why people then tend to chat with their friends or debating partner, most of the time (recently more so) politics will come into play. So while people are in here they wanna chat, but not go into the chatrooms (slower pace in this area) and if they didn't do this, well then no one would wanna be in here, or they would be staring at their computer screen that isn't doing anything.

If its a thread that you started and you wanna see it stay on topic, you have every right to ask for it to stay this way. I'm sure 99% of the members will respect this. Well I have said enough, maybe too much again...
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X