X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiant Floor Solar anyone?

Has anyone done any solar radiant floor heating? I would like to install it in my own home. [removed by admin] I was thinking along the lines of a 1500- 2000 gallon buried insulated tank with heat exchanger, roof mounted solar panels, some pex floor zones, a control system. I figured that the panels could heat the buried tank and it would heat the house for a few days in the cloudy weather. No formal training on solar here, so lets hear your thoughts on design. Thanks guys really love this forum.
    Last edited by Josh; 06-23-2008, 04:21 PM. Reason: removed inapropriate name
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Re: Radiant Floor Solar anyone?

Originally posted by Chauncey View Post
    Has anyone done any solar radiant floor heating? I would like to install it in my own home.[removed by admin]

Wow....I've never seen anyone be both environmentally aware AND racially intolerant at the same time.

yeesh..........
    Last edited by Josh; 06-23-2008, 04:21 PM.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

We where hats in this country on our heads. We wear towels on our asses when we get out of the shower.

Comment

Has anyone done any solar radiant floor heating? I would like to install it in my own home. [removed by admin]. I was thinking along the lines of a 1500- 2000 gallon buried insulated tank with heat exchanger, roof mounted solar panels, some pex floor zones, a control system. I figured that the panels could heat the buried tank and it would heat the house for a few days in the cloudy weather. No formal training on solar here, so lets hear your thoughts on design. Thanks guys really love this forum.
        I'm not sure where Montgomery,NY is but it sounds like the winters are cold there. Many times with "conventional" radiant its not enough heat for the colder days and you need a secondary heat source. I doubt that solar radiant would be enough by itself on an average cold day.
        Last edited by Josh; 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM.

Comment

We where hats in this country on our heads. We wear towels on our asses when we get out of the shower.
          I imagine you don't wear a hat.

It would cover up your shaved head.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I wear a hat all the time and my head is not shaved. I wear a towel on my *** when I get out of the shower. My head and my *** are 2 1/2 ft apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
              I'm not sure where Montgomery,NY is but it sounds like the winters are cold there. Many times with "conventional" radiant its not enough heat for the colder days and you need a secondary heat source. I doubt that solar radiant would be enough by itself on an average cold day.
              Its 60 miles north of the Big Apple. Thats the reason I was thinking of a large storage tank. I will keep the oil system intact. Install solar as a back up and see how it works.

Comment

Its 60 miles north of the Big Apple. Thats the reason I was thinking of a large storage tank. I will keep the oil system intact. Install solar as a back up and see how it works.
                If your power rates are down around 6-10 cents per KW you might look at a ground or water source heat pump instead. Probably have a faster rate of return.
                spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                  Wow....I've never seen anyone be both environmentally aware AND racially intolerant at the same time.

yeesh..........
                  hahaha...A delicate balance i suppose
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

You need to look at thermal ground heating. This is where a pex or similiar piping is inserted into the earth to a depth below the perma cold/freeze zone where the temp is a constant 68-72 dgfh. This is the new and upcoming technology on home heating, and it works. Problem is the masses have not embrassed it yet.

Can you imagine what would happen to the utility industry if everyone in America for a couple g's could install a system that would cost them nothing to operate, (minus a minimal electrical pump operation) so that they could keep there home at a constant temperature.

Comment

This has come up before and I asked the question but never got a definite answer.

Do you ever get a payback? We've dug the trenches for the Geothermal systems. The HVAC contractor said you don't get a payback.

Another one told me the same thing.

Remember, you've got to count the higher initial cost that could be invested over the long term. But you've also got to count any governmental incentives.

So, I'd like to see some thourough numbers if anybody has some to show the potential savings. PM me if it's long and I'll give you an email.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I spend a lot of my time teaching and researching solar and solar heating applications. As far north as you are, trying to do any kind of hydronic solar heating will end up costing you more than you will ever make back. At best you can get about 30% of your domestic hot water, with a payback of, well once again never. Unfortunatly we just don't get enough sun at the proper angle for solar to be cost effective.

For more information log on to caleffi.com
                        sigpic

Comment

[B][/B wood fired boiler or biodiesel would give you your quickest return

Comment

Since Ground Source Heat pumps were issued I will mention this...

I was just at a luncheon with the local utilities here in Oklahoma where they were selling us on the various tax credits for installing high SEER / EER equipment . The big one was this so they say...

Starting in 2009 there will be a $1500 per ton tax credit/rebate offered for the installation of a new ground source heat pump...

This is my signal to get into the ground source business.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                              Since Ground Source Heat pumps were issued I will mention this...

I was just at a luncheon with the local utilities here in Oklahoma where they were selling us on the various tax credits for installing high SEER / EER equipment . The big one was this so they say...

Starting in 2009 there will be a $1500 per ton tax credit/rebate offered for the installation of a new ground source heat pump...

This is my signal to get into the ground source business.
                              if you have the cash to get started i would ,it is starting to pick up here in my part of PA .
                              we will be doing one in the city where the wells will be under the parking lot
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X