X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leak location

If it's a leak under the concrete. I'd bore a new line under the drive and tap it on both sides. No concrete demo, repair, or matching.

Sometimes I have pinpointed leaks pretty well (just visual-no equipment) sometimes it's a needle in a haystack. Dig where the water is nothing. Chase it & chase it.

Hope it goes well.

On another note, I try REAL hard to avoid putting lines under concrete. Even called cities to try and pinpoint the meter.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

why helium? it's expensive and is a gas that will show up with a helium sniffer. you don't own that sniffer, why use helium. helium is great for minute leaks.

i either use an air tank/ compressor, or co2. but first i will trace the line and narrow down the search path.

rick.
      I use helium because it is much lighter than air and will quickly rise to the surface for audible detection. It's what the leak detection companies use.
      Compressed air is good to increase the pressure of the water coming out of the hole and thus increase the vibration of the pipe for the microphone type detection. 2000lbs of helium cost me $55.00. I usually use half that for detection (not on this one though).
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
        2000lbs of helium cost me $55.00. I usually use half that for detection (not on this one though).
        How big is the tank? I get a 40 cu ft tank of nitrogen for 16.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Posted yesterday, right? Is it repaired yet? if not what's your plan of attack?

J.C.

Comment

Ouch! Not there yet. We blasted a big hole in the front landing and it was dry. The slab under the blue stone was 12" thick. We are close though. Just ran out of time and energy today. I'm having to put lots of other work off to get this accomplished.
            I'll post progress photos when completed.

I'm not sure what size tank that is I have. But again, the last balloon I filled with nitrogen just sat there.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

But the air compressor has so many other uses. Winterizing, blowing out W/H's when there's no floor drain, pumping well tanks, the list goes on and on my friend.
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

All right, the leak was found, repaired and soon to be just a bad memory.
                Here are a few pics. I will post more of the actual leak later.
                The guys using the jack hammer and concrete saw are from other companies that I hired for the task. Notice, no eye or ear protection and no dust masks. But, I wouldn't worry about it. The pack and a half of cigarettes they smoked will probably get 'em first. (I had supplied all of the above for them to use but they refused!!!)
                Yup, that's me in the hole. No comments about the crocs please.
                I had been doing minor adjustments and repairs on irrigation systems all day. I had no intentions of standing on my head in that hole.
                Attached Files

Comment

PIA. Glad you got it under control. And thanks for the update. Alot of people forget to leave the money on the nightstand.

J.C.

Comment

do all of you guys in tenn. wear open toe sandals to work

that's a whole lot of work just to change a kitchen sink cartridge

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Don't worry-they thought about safety. Their toes will be fine, because they dove in head first instead of just jumping in the ditch
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I didn't even notice the guy on the left in his !#$%! Huraches! What the heck is going on in my little construction world?!

Mexican Sandals, Crocs, and Keebler Elves shoes out in Cali.

I gotta get that clinic going to tape up some toes.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I didn't even notice the guy on the left in his !#$%! Huraches! What the heck is going on in my little construction world?!

J.C.
                          Can't take the blame this time. He is from Tennessee, where the river birch grow
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I'm new to this forum so maybe I'm confused, but what the hell is going on in this thread. Workers in bare feet hacking the front landing of what looks like a very expensive house over the course of a week or so to REPAIR PVC????!!! Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't it be easier to line bore a new pex service? A fast permanent solution or a laborious ugly repair. I would hate to go back to that job a few years later when the next part of the pvc cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              Can't take the blame this time. He is from Tennessee, where the river birch grow
                              OUCH! Ouch, ouch, ouch...AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.

The guy on the left in the sandals is my son. He just had some work done on his big toe at the doctor and couldn't where closed front shoes.
                                I have no excuse except I spend most days in the summer traipsing(sp?) through wet grass working on minor irrigation repairs. Anything serious and I put on my boots. I HATE wet socks. (Please see thread "What's your favorite footwear" for more important info!)

Comment

Working...
                                X