X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abs

Here it is abs for 90% of the residential work. Commercial is 90 % pvc untill a handy man or G.C does some repair work

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      PVC is a solvent weld.
      That was my understanding to DB. The system is melting (lamens terms) both parts, fitting & pipe, together.

Interesting how similar things are done differently in other places.

J.C.

Comment

I've always used pvc, never abs. The bonding is very strong as long as its primed first. The only leaking joints I have seen were because of installation error, either not pushing the fittings on all the way, or not using primer.
        One time I had to fix a bunch of venting joints in an attic of a newish high-end home that were coming apart. Some HACK thought he would skip the required primer to save time. Luckily it seems they only did this for the vents and not for the rest of the system.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I felt like an idiot when I first got here...all the WEst coasters were swapping notes on working with ABS and I knew squat about it.
          Nobody uses it here...I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it...thats usually a DIY or handyman job where someone might have found it at a hardware store and thought it looked real purdy.
          After hearing comparisons from the west coasters to PVC, I can understand why it never gained momentum here.

Admittedly having to prime PVC can be a pain in the keyster having lug around two cans, but I very seldom get leaks on solvent welded seals with PVC...use PLENTY of primer and glue, ALWAYS do the 1/4 turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            I've always used pvc, never abs. The bonding is very strong as long as its primed first. The only leaking joints I have seen were because of installation error, either not pushing the fittings on all the way, or not using primer.
            One time I had to fix a bunch of venting joints in an attic of a newish high-end home that were coming apart. Some HACK thought he would skip the required primer to save time. Luckily it seems they only did this for the vents and not for the rest of the system.
            Primer softens the PVC for a better solvent weld, however, I know an oldtimer that refuses to use it...never gets leaks, ever.
            He uses tons of glue, then absolutely makes certain he gives it the 1/4 turn.
            I used to aggravate him by using primer, he swore it was pointless...quite frankly his argument was sound...never once saw him get a leak.
            I use primer, period, call me a wimp, call me overly paranoid...but I tend to adhere to MFG suggestion for the sake of liability.

Comment

The primer is an ASTM Standard as no one has been able to make a glue which will give the proper joint without the use of primer. I am sure one-step glues will eventually be made which will be approved and the first one to make one which is approved will make some big bucks.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Primer softens the PVC for a better solvent weld, however, I know an oldtimer that refuses to use it...never gets leaks, ever.
                He uses tons of glue, then absolutely makes certain he gives it the 1/4 turn.
                I used to aggravate him by using primer, he swore it was pointless...quite frankly his argument was sound...never once saw him get a leak.
                I use primer, period, call me a wimp, call me overly paranoid...but I tend to adhere to MFG suggestion for the sake of liability.
                I'm amazed he didn't get leaks, you are smarter than him to use primer as it is a required step of proper installation.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  The primer is an ASTM Standard as no one has been able to make a glue which will give the proper joint without the use of primer. I am sure one-step glues will eventually be made which will be approved and the first one to make one which is approved will make some big bucks.

Mark
                  This is correct. 95% sure they do make one step glues but I don't have the specs in front of me. Typically the "blue glue". And I'm sure everyone knows there are like 10 different glues for PVC depending on how you need to tweak your installation.

Until it changes though, it doesn't matter what the manufacturer states on the can, you have to use purple primer where we are located.

J.C.

Comment

They are pretty tricky with the blue glue in that they say something to the effect that some codes require the use of primer which of course implies some do not. I am not aware of any codes which do not require primer as it is the ASTM Standard for PVC pipe and fittings. I do have a project where the original plumber built 180 condos with either blue glue or clear glue with no primer. Sometimes you have to wonder where the inspectors are on these jobs.

Mark

Comment

ditto in reverse, PVC DWV isnt avalible in west due to expansion and contraction differences, price and wholesalers floorspace.

Comment

Im sorry my reply to ABS posting went here.
                        while Im here ASTM has approved (listed) a one step SOLVENT CEMENT for CPVC.

Comment

I thought one-step glue for PVC was approved in the 06 edition of the UPC but it still list primer. If it has not been approved yet I'm sure it will be soon.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X