X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abs

I notice alot of pictures from the westcoast (Cali.) have ABS as the DWV. Is this the predominant method rather than PVC there?

J.C.

Re: Abs

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    I notice alot of pictures from the westcoast (Cali.) have ABS as the DWV. Is this the predominant method rather than PVC there?

J.C.
    PVC is slowly catching up but for years all we had in plastic was ABS.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Almost zero ABS installed here. PVC with two step solvent cementing.

J.C.

Comment

our outside sdr35 waste piping is typically white or green pvc. i prefer white as it's easier to video.

abs is our indoor plastic.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

When I was at Home Depot one day, I noticed that they aren't carrying that much ABS anymore compared to a few years ago. I'm not sure why.

I started using ABS when I first got into plumbing but now I use PVC. It can be a bit messier with primer, but I just like PVC for some reason (stronger maybe??). And no, I'm not prejudice at all LOL!
          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

The only place you can find ABS here is in a trailer park.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

At one time here ABS was higher priced throughout. (Fittings, pipe) PVC might have caught up with Nat. Gas & the resin market prices.

I haven't checked the difference in a while. It is curious to me why ABS dominated your area?

It never dominated here and is mostly seen in mobile homes.

J.C.

Comment

I have only done 1 job in PVC dwv in my career(about 5 years ago), and we had to get the parts from a source in Sacramento, as it was not readily available locally. After the install the city wanted to see cast/copper in there, so I called the boss, and he had to go down to the city and talk them into accepting it, as it was on the approved plans(safeway gas station, bathroom/mopsink) which happens to be 3 blocks from my house now...I do lots of ABS work.

Greg

Comment

But isn't that stupidity of the code or inspection department. I've always thought of Cali., NY, Chicago, etc. to be more open minded, educated, and or advanced on things such as this than say.....N.C.

But I guess you can get stupid people everywhere.

C'mon Mark, let me have it.

J.C.
                  Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-25-2008, 12:27 AM.

Comment

We can't install plastic DWV in buildings taller than 2-floors or in commercial.

I think the reason we did not have PVC at first was the contractors did not like the fact that you had to use primer so you added a step.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Same here on plastic DWV on height. Expansion contraction issues. At one time we were allowed to use a one step glue on PVC. No issues that I'm aware of but then the code was printed to say "purple primer" to be used. Made it two step.

I've considered ABS from time to time for the one step speed. But don't ever think I will. PVC hangs better if you know what I mean when roughing in. Feels like a heavier/stronger product. Haven't looked at comparison crush strength or anything like that in a while.

Plus here it is considered "cheap" plumbing and will kill your reputation.

J.C.

Comment

PVC is a far better product to work with as far as it keeping it's straightness when installed.ABS bows towards the direct sun's heat so soil gets from your shading falls under it as it lifts during the bowing.This makes ABS difficult to grade without water in the completed system.

If a guy knows what he's doing he will end up getting a better looking job quicker by using PVC.

I've use it on ground works on a large grocery store chain,Hundreds of apartments,condos and single family homes.None can have plastic more than two floors.

Comment

Sioux Chief Tomahawks are useful when laying abs in a trench. Keeps things tidy. Also good for PVC and cast iron.

Comment

I cant speak for California but here in Ohio we use mainly ABS in the work we do and I would say its a 50 / 50 split in houses in our area. We use mainly ABS as its a one step glue vs a tree step that the inpectors make you do here in Ohio ( cleaner primer then glue ) Plus I think the bonding between ABS pipe and fitting is much stronger as the plastics actually fuse together instead of a hardened glue joint you have with PVC. The cost of the ABS pipe is more than PVC in our area but we can intall it quicker using or spin cutters and one step glue so we save on labor. ABS may be harder to make look nice on the job so we do go through it to find the staight pipes at the supply house and if installed properly and hung properly I think does look nicer than PVC with purple primer stains all over the white pipe

Comment

PVC is a solvent weld.

Comment

Working...
                              X