X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater worth saving?

A regular 50 gallon gas water heater was subjected to at least 4 inches of water in a basement (house was abandoned several months). It will not light. The water heater is at LEAST 5 years old. This is all the info I have, it is not a power vent. I have my own thoughts on spending money and time on a water heater when half its life is over...but I would really appreciate any comments, thanks.

Re: Water heater worth saving?

ALL MFG'S REQUIRE REPLACEMENT EVEN IF JUST INSTALLED,
    IN ANY CASE OF FLOODING DUE TO POSSIBLE
    LIABILITY ISSUE'S
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Jerry is correct. Thats what I have always done too.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

4'' of water would not have made it up to the gas valve. is there a scum line to determine the level?

chances are the pilot orifice and possibly the main gas orifice are dirty/ wet.

removing the burner assy. will take a couple of minutes and chances are you will see the condition of the burner assy. if it's all rusted out, then you can replace it, if you have a replacement available.

5 years ago when 50's cost $160.00 and the valve was $60.00 it made sense to replace the entire heater. today the heater cost me $450+ and the parts are hard to come by as the heater is sealed. fvir.

sounds like a simple fix if the burner is in good condition.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
          ALL MFG'S REQUIRE REPLACEMENT EVEN IF JUST INSTALLED,
          IN ANY CASE OF FLOODING DUE TO POSSIBLE
          LIABILITY ISSUE'S
          not to sure as years ago american appliance sold a "flood kit" for their commercial heaters. it contained all the required parts for just this case.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick.

Comment

No, there is no scum line. I replaced a completely submerged WH a couple weeks ago...no problem there. I really have no exact idea, nor does the H/O how high the water got, before going down. I would replace it with a 40, as there is no need for a 50. It is just the 2 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                No, there is no scum line. I replaced a completely submerged WH a couple weeks ago...no problem there. I really have no exact idea, nor does the H/O how high the water got, before going down. I would replace it with a 40, as there is no need for a 50. It is just the 2 of them.
                You need to go with your gut instinct and if you don't feel it is salvageable, replace it. Your butt is the one on the line here not ours.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Right about that! I like to get other opinions, and value them. Thanks for the input...I am pushing for replacement.

Comment

If it is a non FVIR, I would attempt 1 dismantle, clean, refire. After that, chunk it.

If FVIR, chunk it. Too many variables and things to change & clean to make it work properly.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      If it is a non FVIR, I would attempt 1 dismantle, clean, refire. After that, chunk it.

If FVIR, chunk it. Too many variables and things to change & clean to make it work properly.

J.C.
                      At The risk of Totally Internet Ingnorant ( which I am ) what does FVIR mean ?

Comment

Rheem just sent out paper work that if any water heater is submerged with water that is should be replaced. It will not be covered under warranty.

With that being said, I would replace the water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                          At The risk of Totally Internet Ingnorant ( which I am ) what does FVIR mean ?
                          Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This water heater is the older style...you know, the one that you cannot store an open container of gas by!

Anyway, the parts to rebuild would be $ 200+ not even worth it for a 5 year old water heater.

Comment

Jerrymac was the first to answer, and his answer was the best. After all he has a PH.D in Waterheaterology!
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X