Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miele dishwashers

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    A competitive built condo with entry level plumbing.

Mark

Which means 1 coffee cup, one saucer, one fork and a butter knife drops the sink an 1/8" down in the center.

And they wonder why the drain lines loosen up on those 59 gauge stainless steel sinks.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Mark
      Until Miele and the rest of the foreign manufacturers subject their dishwashers to independent testing to prove their backflow devise is foolproof, the code won't change. The UPC requires an airgap, no ifs, ands, or buts. As for the st 90, I use 3/4" copper 90's I pull out of the scrap bin. Even at $3+ a lb. they are still more valuable in use then in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Miele is real high end stuff. Whisper quiet.
        The code says - No double trapping, and since the miele and most other dishwashers including the el cheepo ones, take the drain hose, up the side and then down, forming a trap, adding another would be a no no. I have had this conversation with quite a few inspectors and have had to actually show them the piping on the dishwasher as well as the spot in the code book in order to properly educate them.
        I dunno if that constitutes a trap, when it comes down to brass taxes a trap weir is s'posed to be no less than 2", no more than 4"...the loop on the side of a DW is a heck of alot more than 4".

The high loop, or air break is to keep backflow into the DW from the basin, a trap is for sewer gas from the sewage system...that wouldn't be considered a trap...at least I don't think so.

Whats odd is the fact that MA has yet to require air gaps on them...to me a simple high loop doesn't seem adequate when it's below flood level.

Heck, I just do what I'm told.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          all the higher end machine have a built in back flow protector built into fill line.

typically they don't require an air gap. but some cities like adam said go overboard.

santa monica is now requiring meter protection on both the domestic and fire. in fact they are removing the meters from the ground and installing them above ground.

have a fancy building that was built in 1995 that is going to require updating.

rick.
          I may be wrong, but I think ALL DW's have them, I can't imagine my states code allowing any without.
          Any potable water outlet needs either an air break (gap) above flood level or a backflow prevention/anti-siphon/vacuum breaker - even outside hose bibs require them here.
          The air gap/high loop isn't so much for potable supply as it is for the clean dishes sitting in the DW when you come home from snaking a main and wash your hands in a basin full of water.

Comment

Provide a separate vented trap for the DW and you don't need an air gap.

Comment

My mom had a Miele dishwasher installed when she re-built her house 15 years ago-no air gap. We recently sold it but it was still holding up. She also installed a Miele stove. They are known for sending extra parts. If you call them and assk for something they will send 2. I guess they figure for what people pay they have to be good to them.
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                My mom had a Miele dishwasher installed when she re-built her house 15 years ago-no air gap. We recently sold it but it was still holding up. She also installed a Miele stove. They are known for sending extra parts. If you call them and assk for something they will send 2. I guess they figure for what people pay they have to be good to them.
                That is good to know.

Thanks-Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Miele's are excellent DW's, and in my opinion worth their cost, and I have yet to see a clothes washer/dryer combo that comes close to the performance from Miele.

Comment

Excellent product, and excellent tech support, 0 hold time. Amazing. When I build my dream house I will have some Miele products.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                      Miele's are excellent DW's, and in my opinion worth their cost, and I have yet to see a clothes washer/dryer combo that comes close to the performance from Miele.
                      I forgot about those. We had one too They are QUIET! We had them in our open loft where we had a tv. We didn't even have doors in front of them, they were so quiet.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I had a Miele which I put to rest after years of service. Since I could get a deal on a Bosch through a supplier, I bought one as a replacement. Within two weeks, my wife said get rid of it and put in a Miele. So I did. Took the Bosch up to the cabin. (I'm not about to through away $900).
                        BTW: Has anyone installed a Miele steam oven? PITA. Darned thing has a gravity drain that has to be discharged to an approved waste outlet. I've run them to y branch tail pieces (lucky I had a sink on the floor below in both cases). If an inspector were to take a good look at one of these things, I think he would require indirect waste into a floor sink.

Comment

Run through a GD, the GD itself is an airgap. The DW line empties into the GD interior which is open to the air unless there's a stopper in. The code issue is the actual height of the gap rather than "what" it is. Since the arigap is there to prevent siphoning waste water into the potable city supply, the gap height has to be great enough that the sink will run over on your floor before it will siphon back into the potable line. Of course the potable supply would also have to lose all head to your sink's height before siphoning could occur.

JWD
                          Duster

Comment

Working...
                          X