Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Hammer Arrestors

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    What's the structures pressure.Sometimes things will bang around before we install the pressure requlator.
    60 psi, that was my first thought too

Comment

Washing machines and ice makers are enforcable here, and at one supplier they aren't even carrying the recess boxes without them.

Other cities, could care less.

Greg

Comment

I know what you're saying. Utah is right to a degree. But alot of us don't think about is that the codes are controlled by the Dept. of Insurance. At least in N.C.
        Anyone reading this please don't try and educate me about the ICC, UPC, IPC as I'm informed on them and there staff.

But insurance has alot of bearing on the codes and they will do anything to "improve" upon it to decrease payout.

They're statistical fanatics. One day we might install Type K water lines. Brazed joints. 20 or 30 Hammer Arrestors. Water detecting solenoids in all fixture rooms.

Anyway...

J.C.

Comment

We put air chambers on laundries & shower valves by code.
          I've tried Amtrols "Mini-trol" and they work great..a bit more bulky than a shock absorber or airchamber, but I like them.

Comment

Metallic supply pipe. Water hammer arrestors enforced here. Everywhere.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              We put air chambers on laundries & shower valves by code.
              I've tried Amtrols "Mini-trol" and they work great..a bit more bulky than a shock absorber or airchamber, but I like them.
              Showers? How do you access them?

What about flushometers?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Metallic supply pipe. Water hammer arrestors enforced here. Everywhere.

J.C.
                Mechanical arrestors, or air chambers?
                Greg

Comment

I thought air chambers gathered bacteria.Knowledgeable inspectors have made us remove nipples and caps to spout on a tub/shower to shower conversion and requested a plug for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                    Mechanical arrestors, or air chambers?
                    Greg
                    Piston type mechanical arrestors. I have no idea why site built air chambers would be required or allowed.

J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-27-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Piston type mechanical arrestors. I have no idea why site built air chambers would be required or allowed.

J.C.

San Francisco requires them, I agree with you though, air chambers are minimally effective at best.

Greg

Comment

San Francisco requires them, I agree with you though, air chambers are minimally effective at best.

Greg
                        We've been installing them in high rises for 90 years, with no problems, and some of these buildings have over 100 PSI water pressure on the lower floors.

Comment

Greg
                          Got a buddy that renovates apartments up there.I was surprised when he told me of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                            We've been installing them in high rises for 90 years, with no problems, and some of these buildings have over 100 PSI water pressure on the lower floors.
                            No disrespect, but that does not mean they are still working in any way. The buildings pipes may not show hydraulic shock at all even without them.

Cut one open at the top floor, betcha' it's full to the top with water. Am I completely off here Spider? I have not done this myself. Just stating what I've been told and I understand the theories & practice.

J.C.

Comment

No disrespect, but that does not mean they are still working in any way. The buildings pipes may not show hydraulic shock at all even without them.

Cut one open at the top floor, betcha' it's full to the top with water. Am I completely off here Spider? I have not done this myself. Just stating what I've been told and I understand the theories & practice.

J.C.

High rises aren't piped up, they are piped down. City water gets pumped to the penthouse, and looped around for all the risers there, which are then downfed back to the basement. Newer, taller buildings will usually have two zones, a high side and a low side, if it is an 80 story building the will pipe the lowside to the fortieth floor, and then down, and the highside to the penthouse and down to the 41st floor.

Any branches off the risers will drain every time that branch is shut down,drained, and when it is turned back on, the air cushion is re-established. Pretty simple stuff, no rocket surgery required, and lot less expensive than mechanical arrestors that are subject to failure.

Comment

We use the IPC 2003 and simple air chambers are not approved. (604.9)
                                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X