X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Hammer Arrestors

I had a close call on a job that I just finished, Horrible water hammer from the Master bathtub fill valves. I was able to install some inline hammer arrestors to solve the problem(through access hole) without destroying finishes. The question that I am pondering is:

Should I have some sort of water hammer arrestor allowance(those things aren't cheap) and if they don't go with it, then have them sign some sort of statement saying they didn't want to pay the extra $ for the hammer arrestors so the correction of the problem is cost of the owner(or something like that?)

I am very lucky that this didnt turn into a real mess. Anyone install these on all fixtures(or on fixtures you know are going to be quick closing valves?) Have any of you run into this problem?

This is the first time I have gotten to the finish on a project and had to deal with banging pipes. I tend to over strap everything.

Greg

Re: Water Hammer Arrestors

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
    I had a close call on a job that I just finished, Horrible water hammer from the Master bathtub fill valves. I was able to install some inline hammer arrestors to solve the problem(through access hole) without destroying finishes. The question that I am pondering is:

Should I have some sort of water hammer arrestor allowance(those things aren't cheap) and if they don't go with it, then have them sign some sort of statement saying they didn't want to pay the extra $ for the hammer arrestors so the correction of the problem is cost of the owner(or something like that?)

I am very lucky that this didnt turn into a real mess. Anyone install these on all fixtures(or on fixtures you know are going to be quick closing valves?) Have any of you run into this problem?

This is the first time I have gotten to the finish on a project and had to deal with banging pipes. I tend to over strap everything.

Greg
    I think ther real question is what did you miss which allowed the hammer?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What are my options? You think it's a missing strap? Or I missed some other condition or part? Like I said this is the first time I have had this issue.

Greg

Comment

In S.F. they are in the ammendment to the UPC. You won't pass without them!

12" on 1/2" 18" high for 3/4" pipe
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          In S.F. they are in the ammendment to the UPC. You won't pass without them!

12" on 1/2" 18" high for 3/4" pipe
          Yes they are, do you know if the mechanical ones can be used instead of an air chamber?
          Greg

Comment

Greg,

My guess is you missed a strap somewhere. The other option is the valve is just so fast acting that no matter what you do you will have a hammer. In the second scenario refer to UPC Section 609.10 which says if you have fast acting valves which might cause a hammer you have to install approved mechanical devises to prevent it.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Haven't ran into too many scenarios where it couldn't be corrected pretty easily.

We don't require them. But install if necessary. I've always been told a made "airchamber" wasn't worth a darn. Becomes waterlogged pretty quick and must be drained down.

I've had good success with models by Sioux Chief. You can install them near the problem valve with success also. Ex. Shower valve that's easy to quickly close-put them under the sink and it can correct the problem.

Two questions.

1) All copper?

2) Expansion tank installed?

J.C.

Comment

All copper(aside from one 1/2" hosebibb line behind some $$ (original) built in cabinets.

No expansion tank, open system.

Comment

Do you solder the pipe to your hangers? I've heard debates both ways and just curious. Anyway...

An expansion tank will often eliminate this in my experience also. If it's on a well the bladder tank can absorb some too.

But if you're putting in air chambers I like the variety Sioux Chief makes.

J.C.

(Still hope you get that tub fixed. )

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Do you solder the pipe to your hangers? I've heard debates both ways and just curious. Anyway...

An expansion tank will often eliminate this in my experience also. If it's on a well the bladder tank can absorb some too.

But if you're putting in air chambers I like the variety Sioux Chief makes.

J.C.

(Still hope you get that tub fixed. )
                    I used the Mifab 3/4 ips hammer arrestors and fixed the prob. I thought about installing a expansion tank, but really had no where to put it. The rinnai is an exterior unit w/recess kit. My tub on the other hand, if I don't hear from them by Tues next week, I will call them.
                    Greg

Comment

What's the structures pressure.Sometimes things will bang around before we install the pressure requlator.

Comment

I put an air chamber on every opening in the water system. That is code here.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                          I put an air chamber on every opening in the water system. That is code here.
                          We are UPC we aren't required to put them on everything yet.
                          I would not like to lose a job because I included the cost of arresting every stub-out.
                          Only City of Los Angeles enforces hammer arresters on quick closing valves.Haven't even seen them enforce the ice makers yet.

Comment

Adam, does this feel like code redundancy to you?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Adam, does this feel like code redundancy to you?

J.C.
                              Which or both jurisdictions are you refering to.Are you refering to the expansion tank with the hammer arrestors.I would think the arrestors would still be needed at the higher volume quick closing fixtures.
                              Besides,it don't do me no good to question My code on a project by project basis.Utah has told me on a few occassions to "quit crying,just do what the law requires and write your lawmakers if you want it changed".He did I swear

I was actually throwing a tissy when Mark/Utah informed me that I had been squeaking by not puting them on quick closers and not getting called on it.Everyone I see installing is blowing it off,so I was pissed I have to budget for it and still get the job to maintain zero guilt factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X