X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help...

I installed a recirculating line for a customer the other day. Only a 20' run of copper, installed a swing check on the horizontal before the final drop to the water heater. This is a gravity system. Got a call from the customer today and said that there is a banging sound coming whenever she turns the hot water on. Go to the house and track the noise down to the check valve. Installed a shock arrestor on the line and it helped alot, but it still bangs enough to hear it on the 1st floor. I would appreciate some input as far as installing a spring loaded check or is there something else that would eliminate the rest of the noise. This is the first time this has ever happened. By the way I took the check apart and it was clean.

Re: Need some help...

If you add a spring loaded check then it won't be a gravity circ anymore; just a dead pipe

You piped it into the drain at the bottom I assume?

Banging sound when the ONLY the hot water is turned ON?

Just one bang or chattering?

Does the heater have an expansion tank? thermotrap nipples?

Help us help you

Comment

I'm thinking.....but I might be lost. Haven't had a banging problem when someone turns the water on.

An expansion tank might help eliminate the sound as pc said.

J.C.

Comment

Yes the return line was piped to the tapping for the drain, and a new drain was added.

The banging is only from the the hot water being turned on, it keeps banging while the faucet runs. It keeps banging and sounds like it is the check swinging back and forth.

The water heater has the heat trap nipples, no expansion tank and the customer is on their own well.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
          Yes the return line was piped to the tapping for the drain, and a new drain was added.

The banging is only from the the hot water being turned on, it keeps banging while the faucet runs. It keeps banging and sounds like it is the check swinging back and forth.

The water heater has the heat trap nipples, no expansion tank and the customer is on their own well.
          First thing is to try installing a wye pattern swing check, they tend to be less noisy.

Comment

Kind of makes sense. You've got cold water trying to go two places at the same time with constant pressure changes. Sounds like you need to bottom feed the heater after the check valve.

Or I could still be lost.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post

Check the well system function as also.

J.C.

Comment

The well works just fine, all was replace within about 2 years. Thanks for the wye pattern check valve advice, I will try that.

Comment

remove the check ball nipples on the heater.

drill a 1/8'' hole in the return line check valve.

should be the fix.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X