Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lead & oakum joint w/CI stack

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I have NEVER heard that before...I'm gonna try it.
    Though it's alot more time consuming than a joint runner, I bet it'd come in handy when ya can't find the runner.

Bob, I do pack the runner in, but there's always those rough spots & divets in the CI hub where a lil' sneaks past.
    If it is a four inch joint pour it cold if you are using putty, or use all five pounds out of the tub.

I much prefer perfecto joint runners.

Comment

I soak my lead runner in cutting oil to keep it soft keep the lead from sticking to it. Also helps keeping tight to the cast.

Comment

I asked my uncle who turned out in the late 40's and another old timer who started before the war (both now deceased) which do you pack first? One said the inside row and the other said the outside row. Anyone have the definitive answer?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I soak my lead runner in cutting oil to keep it soft keep the lead from sticking to it. Also helps keeping tight to the cast.
          I used to use kerosene but at the prices of fuel ill bet cutting oil is cheaper

Comment

I've always set inside first then outside, but I was reading through an old plumbers handbook from the 20's and the book say's it doesn't matter which you do first.

I actually dug all my lead tools out a couple months back and wire wheeled them all and ground the mushrooms off the handles. They look like new now.
            I wonder where i put them.

By the way, If anyone wants to get a set Mephesto Tools sells them. They are a lot pricier than when I bought mine but then again what isn't.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
              You would have to use a sission joint here, no hub bands are not allowed.

If I am using 4 inch pipe that isn't copper, it's cast iron hub and spigot.
              Ironic, Sissons are illegal here.

Comment

At the risk of sounding unschooled.....what's a Sisson joint?

Is it the same as a Kafer fitting?

Google didn't produce much

I may need a picture

Is it IPC approved?

Comment

At the risk of sounding unschooled.....what's a Sisson joint?

Is it the same as a Kafer fitting?

Google didn't produce much

I may need a picture

Is it IPC approved?
                  It can be seen here.

Comment

I guess I am unschooled...wrong spelling

So how's it work?

Comment

I guess I am unschooled...wrong spelling

So how's it work?
                      The hub is twice as deep as a normal hub, with a raised ridge at a normal hub's depth to act as an oakum stop, so that in can be slid onto the existing pipe and another section be put in below it and then the sission lowered into that hub. They can only be used vertically here.

Comment

More tips on lead pouring:

in wet weather, pour some oil in the joint to prevent the lead exploding when it hits the water.

For the horizontal pour, a little oakum stuffed in the Y made by the running rope will prevent lead running through it. And yes, tap the rope all the way 'round with a hammer to tighten it against the joint.

I was taught to caulk the inside of the joint first, but I don't believe it really matters, either.

Been a long time since I poured a joint. I still have ladles, irons, pots, but no burner. I even have a soldering iron used on lead flashings.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                          More tips on lead pouring:

in wet weather, pour some oil in the joint to prevent the lead exploding when it hits the water.

For the horizontal pour, a little oakum stuffed in the Y made by the running rope will prevent lead running through it. And yes, tap the rope all the way 'round with a hammer to tighten it against the joint.

I was taught to caulk the inside of the joint first, but I don't believe it really matters, either.

Been a long time since I poured a joint. I still have ladles, irons, pots, but no burner. I even have a soldering iron used on lead flashings.
                          The oil trick is new to me, thanks.
                          I've had to work on an underground storm drain that had ruptured under water with no realistic way of removing the water (water table)...the old timer with me just pulled out his lead wool and said "Sssshhhhh...you never saw this...".

Comment

I've had to work on an underground storm drain that had ruptured under water with no realistic way of removing the water (water table)...the old timer with me just pulled out his lead wool and said "Sssshhhhh...you never saw this...".
                            There is five pounds of it in my truck at all times.

Comment

Ah yes, lead wool topped off with silver colored silicone. Those were the good old days.

Better yet, ( and you didn't get this from me) lead wool and your torch to melt it in after you pack it.
                              sigpic

Comment

I saw some oakum in the shop the other day when I was cleaning. There might still be some lead wool in there, too.

I've even made repairs (long ago) with oakum and plastic filler designed for the purpose.

Comment

Working...
                                X