X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead & oakum joint w/CI stack

I did this job today and thought it a good idea to take a few pics as I recall some here may never have seen a lead & oakum joint.
    We do alot of them here.
    This one was a replacement on a CI stack that the previous homeowner had decided to cut in a laundry with PVC to add a laundry in the basement...problem is it's against code to put PVC under cast iron.
    There was also a pretty bad leak at the lowest joint where the homeowner had used a resilient gasket with PVC into the older CI hub.

The laundry had no vent...so the basement stunk to high heaven..NOT exaggerating, it really stunk bad.

I forgot to get a pic of the stack before demo, but the first pic is before the lead pour, second pic is after it was poured & packed, third is the finished stack...c/o on bottom, 4" x 2" Tee-wye for the new laundry, then at the top a "4 x 3" wye for a third floor bath addition I just finished tonight.
    Attached Files

Re: Lead & oakum joint w/CI stack

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I did this job today and thought it a good idea to take a few pics as I recall some here may never have seen a lead & oakum joint.
    We do alot of them here.
    This one was a replacement on a CI stack that the previous homeowner had decided to cut in a laundry with PVC to add a laundry in the basement...problem is it's against code to put PVC under cast iron.
    There was also a pretty bad leak at the lowest joint where the homeowner had used a resilient gasket with PVC into the older CI hub.

The laundry had no vent...so the basement stunk to high heaven..NOT exaggerating, it really stunk bad.

I forgot to get a pic of the stack before demo, but the first pic is before the lead pour, second pic is after it was poured & packed, third is the finished stack...c/o on bottom, 4" x 2" Tee-wye for the new laundry, then at the top a "4 x 3" wye for a third floor bath addition I just finished tonight.
    Nice job with the inny and outy. That line around the joint sends shivers down my spine. Why the husky band, is that required?

Comment

Very nice, how long does it take to pour a joint start to finish?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

about 15 minutes

Comment

Provided you can find your tools.
          sigpic

Comment

How long does a horizontal joint take? How difficult is that? If anyone does one next time, could they show some pics? Never had to pour a lead joint (I know I'm a hack loser).
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There really isn't much of a difference between a vertical and horizontal joint. You just need the runner on a horizontal

Comment

I've seen the runner but how do you keep it tight against the joint so it doesn't leak out? The clamp is enough?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  I've seen the runner but how do you keep it tight against the joint so it doesn't leak out? The clamp is enough?
                  Yes. For the most part you try to get it as snug as possible then "clamp" it.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    Nice job with the inny and outy. That line around the joint sends shivers down my spine. Why the husky band, is that required?
                    We're allowed to use two bands here, but I don't...not on drainage, venting maybe, but when I think of how often I've seen one clamp break I feel good at least knowing there are four, plus it really stiffens up the stack using the four bands.

NHMaster makes a VERY good and humorous point...
                    It took me all of 20 minutes to cut the piece and pack/pour the joint...finding my &^%$^%& lead kit took more on the line of 1/2 hour.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      How long does a horizontal joint take? How difficult is that? If anyone does one next time, could they show some pics? Never had to pour a lead joint (I know I'm a hack loser).
                      Almost no time difference...just clamp at the top and pour..occasionally you get a little lip, but it breaks right off when you pack the edges.

Comment

you can also use plumbers putty if you dont have a running rope.

Comment

Almost no time difference...just clamp at the top and pour..occasionally you get a little lip, but it breaks right off when you pack the edges.
                          Give the joint runner a light tapping with your hammer all around to seat it against the edge of the hub and you'll get no leaks and a better formed joint.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

We're allowed to use two bands here, but I don't...not on drainage, venting maybe, but when I think of how often I've seen one clamp break I feel good at least knowing there are four, plus it really stiffens up the stack using the four bands.

NHMaster makes a VERY good and humorous point...
                            It took me all of 20 minutes to cut the piece and pack/pour the joint...finding my &^%$^%& lead kit took more on the line of 1/2 hour.
                            You would have to use a sission joint here, no hub bands are not allowed.

If I am using 4 inch pipe that isn't copper, it's cast iron hub and spigot.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                              you can also use plumbers putty if you dont have a running rope.
                              I have NEVER heard that before...I'm gonna try it.
                              Though it's alot more time consuming than a joint runner, I bet it'd come in handy when ya can't find the runner.

Bob, I do pack the runner in, but there's always those rough spots & divets in the CI hub where a lil' sneaks past.

Comment

Working...
                              X