Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As seen on another site

Why is pipe 21' long?

Re: As seen on another site

I was told, and I have no idea if it is true, that it dates back to when they first started building high rises, the difference between the decks was nine feet, with six in thick floors, so a 21' length could go two floors and still have enough to work with on both ends.

Back in the late forties through the early seventies you could buy steel pipe in what they called random lengths, which was anything from ten to nineteen feet, they were what was left after the extruder was done and the 21' lengths had been cut.

Comment

I was told it was to accommodate the usable inside length of a railroad boxcar (42')
      Mike

Comment

wouldn't it be a ***** to load it into the box car? Usually it's shipped on open cars or trucks.
        sigpic

Comment

at one time a lot was 18 foot lenghts, most I get now is 21 foot,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

fits in a shipping container.

Comment

I don't have any proof of this but my guess is that it has some thing to do with the manufacturing process and the length of Skelps that original were produced, and the machinery to join them in the welding process.

and the lengths (standards)I believe have been around longer than shipping containers,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

dam# good question, i have nothing to add oh yea wait uh 21 feet?

Comment

always thought it had some thing to do with the weight of the pipe, but somehow that doesn't make sense as the different sizes would have different weights

and while we are on the subject, why was copper only in 20 foot (not 21 foot) lengths?? Ten footers are just a recent development.

Comment

it falls under the heading single random length P. E. 18'-25',T & C 18'-22'

Comment

In 1824 a new way to manufactor steel pipe was made which involved rolling dies to stretch the metal to the desired length. The 1st and last 6" of the pipe were not truly round as that was the section the rollers grabbed onto. Think of snipe in a planer. So to get a useable, true 20' length required the ends to be cut off. Another 35 years had passed when they could get a useable 21' length but rather than produce 20' section, manufactors stuck with tradition and continued to produce 21' sections.

Oh I had you guys going. You really believed me on this one. hahahahahahaha
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

actually ben, this is pretty much the story that i heard many years back.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Funny, whenever I get 2x4s at the plumbing supply house there always 21 Ft. looong!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Really, Gear, I thought someone living in Virginia would know this one.

In the mid 18th century, the early Virginia code required that the outhouse be 7 paces from the well. Before Thomas Jefferson built Monticello he rigged a trough from the well to the privy so Sally wouldn't have to tote a bucket of water for him to clean himself (He had rigged up a resevoir over the seat with a long tube that snaked down and pointed right at the "spot of evacuation" as he put it. It had a little sliding block of wood that he could move to start the flow of water, thus the rudiments of the first bidet were born. I think he called it the BB-1).

Well, anyway, when the plumbing inspector in his tall pointy hat, (this is where the phrase "pinhead" first came into use, as in 'frickin pinhead', or Jefferson's favorite, 'imbecilic pinhead"), came out to make sure the well and the "john" (another Jefferson euphemism to honor John Adams) were properly spaced he encountered Jefferson's trough. After a few remarks about backflow and cross-connection he put an evergreen branch on the device (ancestor to our green sticker) and hurried back to his office where he drew up plans and stole Jefferson's idea (the one about the trough not the bidet which he considered lunacy).

Since his paces were exactly 3 ft. he put that in the specs and somehow it has survived to this day.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.
                            (Apologies to TJ, JA, SH, and all the pinhead inspectors)
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Found this online:
                              http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Steel-Pipe.html

It gives a brief history of pipe manufacturing, but it doesn't address how the ~21 ft length came about.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X