X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in the USA by Ridge?

I was informed that Ridgid has started to outsource their manufacturning to China and that most of the products with a Ridgid name on them are not even made by The Ridge Tool Company. Could you please tell me which products are manufactured in Elyria by the Ridge Tool Company and which products are manufactured by an outside company which then places the RIDGID logo on the product?

Since this was posted in the plumbing forum, I'll assume those are the products you are asking about. The woodworking and power tools are discussed in another forum.

You were misinformed...

The Ridge Tool facilities in Elyria, Ohio and Orange, Virginia, manufacture all threading machines, roll grooving equipment, die heads and chasers, pipe wrenches, pipe cutters, pipe vises, some pipe stands, hole cutting tools, all tubing tools, all drain cleaning equipment, copper prep, and more, just like always.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/About-Ridge-Tool/

What specifically were you looking for?

Edit: And, lest you become confused by the above link, there is indeed a Ridge Tool manufacturing facility in China, and if you live in China, that is where some of your RIDGID products might be made. But for the vast majority of the rest of the world, they are as noted above.

[ 10-12-2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: smorris ]
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

just hope those tools coming out of china remains consistent with quality..

Comment

Michael,

If you are referring to my edit above, I think you might have misunderstood me. The China plant makes Ridge products for sale mostly in China. Elyria supplies most of the rest of the world.
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I think what he was refering to was the cordless power tools now being sold at Home Depot. I recently bought a Ridgid cordless sawzal because of the brand. I was suprised to find it was manufactured in China by another company. So far I'm happy with the tool. But I have a problem with the outsourcing of the manufacturing.

I make my living building and maintaining commercial/industrial buildings, and in turn Ridgid makes their profit from people like me. If we continue to farm out our manufacturing who will buy the tools you make.
          the dog

Comment

I wrote the above post several months ago. I've noticed that a Ridgid rep jumps online when someone is in the process of purchasing a tool. How about an answer to my post. How do you expect to sell tools to construction and insustrial plumbers if the factories move out of the U.S. ?
            the dog

Comment

Are you are referring to me jumping in whenever someone posts about tools? If so, I did answer your question. All of the traditional RIDGID plumbing and pipeworking tools are made here in Elyria, Ohio and in Orange, Virginia.

The stationary and hand power tools have never been made by Ridge Tool, so they haven't moved away from us.

[ 01-20-2005, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: smorris ]
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Dear smorris,

Am I refering to you? I don't know. I don't know who you are. But I do know this: any time someone needs info on a Rigid tool someone is there to help.

Your contention that Rigid power tools have always been made over-seas is a cop-out at best. If Rigid puts their name on the tool, they are obviously marketing on their trademark. A trademark that plumbers/fitters such as I have depended on for years. I have respect for the Rigid name beyond what a a rep. like you would ever understand. I would venture to guess that you, smeldrick (or what ever your name is) have never used a Rigid tool in your life. I have.

For my money I'm looking towards Reed for my future purchases, their name is still solid.
                the dog

Comment

I normally wouldn't even respond to such a reply, but I will clarify some points.

The name is Steve, and the handle is smorris; it says so right there in the above post.

If you had taken the time to look at my profile, you'd also have seen that I design the threading machines that you tout so highly, and have been designing new products here at Ridge Tool (RIDGID, not Rigid, by the way) for almost 25 years, with 5 years of designing Rockwell/Delta stationary power tools before that. I am not a "rep" and have never been a salesman in my life. I come on this forum to answer the questions I can, and for some interesting woodworking conversation. If you'd look through my posts, you would see than many are just conversational.

I've used almost all of the tools we manufacture, and am very comfortable using, disassembling, and assembling them. I know many of our product better than the end user.

I never said the power tools have always been made over seas. I only said that we at Ridge Tool, never made them. In fact, the early RIDGID stationary tools were made by Emerson in the US, and were previously sold as Craftsman products.

Rude insults and name-calling won't make you friends around here. I'm sorry to lose you as a Ridge Tool customer, but it seems you jumped headlong to your own conclusions.

[Edit] By the way. I post here on my own, and frequently from home. This is in no way part of my job, and I probably am on here more than I should be. But when someone asks a question about products I know, I want to help, or at least refer the question to someone who can.

[ 01-21-2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: smorris ]
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for clearing up alot of confusion about Ridgid tools and Ridge Tool company. There is a LOT of confusion in the field about what Ridgid makes and doesnt make and where it is from. Its talked about on a regular basis on job sites and at wharehouse counters. Most plumbers and HVAC techs simply equate the name Ridge tool and Ridgid as one. I certainly did until two or three days ago.

One thing that Ridge needs to work on is the decline in the manufacturing quality of the tubing cutters. It used to be that a Ridgid tubing cutter never walked unless it was abused and that they would last a long time. The last three of four cutters I bought have had nowhere near the quality I had come to be expect from Ridge Tools. The first two walked from the first time I used them, the handle kept coming loose and falling off of my last one and the cutting wheel was duller than my Sister in Law right out of the package. My 1 1/8 imp cutter simply fell apart in my hands after only a few months use, I kept the parts and put them back together but it never did work properly after that. Right now I am cutting almost all of my copper with Big Reds metal cutting cordless circular saw.

The gentleman posting before you is probably one of the very many who have become upset at the number of once fine quality American manufacturers laying off fellow Americans and taking their factories overseas to use cheap labor and pay no benifits and trash the environment. He may also be sharing the confusion of Ridgid pipe cutting tools and Ridgid cordless and hand tools.

I think Ridge Tool really needs to consider a bit of advertisment to trades people to help clear up a lot of the confusion. Most of us dont spend much time on these computers. Many of these guys have bought the cordless tools because they wanted the same strong quality they have come to expect from their threading and tooling equipment. When they get this stuff from China its your name being cursed and not those in charge of making the tools.
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Smeldrick (or whatever) you do work for Rigid. I will spell "Rigid" anyway I please. I stand by my statements. I will urge the plumbers and apprentices under my control to buy American made Reed tools.
                      the dog

Comment

IT WOULD BE NICE IF WE SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER. I TOO OWN MORE RIDGID TOOLS THAN MOST. 5 CAMERA SYSTEMS AND STILL COUNTING. THE MODERATORS AND OTHERS WHO POST ARE HERE TO HELP US. I'VE GIVEN ADVISE, AND HAVE ASKED FOR ADVISE. CALLING PEOPLE NAMES IS NOT GOING TO FIX A PROBLEM YOU HAVE WITH RIDGID OR ANY OTHER BRAND. TRY TAKING IT UP WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE. I HAVE AND IT HAS WORKED. SMORRIS IS DONATING HIS TIME AND EXPERTISE TO HELP EVERYONE. IF YOU DON'T AGREE THEN JUST ABSORB IT. DON'T BELITTLE THEM. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I WROTE IN ON THIS SUBJECT. IF THIS FORUM IS GOING TO WORK, WE NEED TO RESPECT EACH OTHERS OPINIONS. LIKE IT OR NOT. HOPE THAT YOU WILL STILL MONITOR THIS FORUM AND MAKE SOME GOOD CONTRIBUTIONS TO IT LIKE I FEEL SMORRIS AND OTHERS HAVE. I KNOW THAT WITH ALL YOUR YEARS IN PLUMBINGYOUR BOUND TO HAVE SOME GOOD ADVISE TO THE NEW TRADESPEOPLE.
                        RICK, PLUMBING CONTRACTOR IN THE TRADE SINCE 1981.

Comment

Plumber Rick,

I agree that my last two posts were abusive to Smorris, and for that I apologize to anyone who read them.

I would like to make a few points:

1)I was not refering to Smorris until he insisted I was. I should not have started the name calling, and hope that their are no hard feelings.

2) My contention is that Ridgid is marketing tools in Home Depot that are produced in China. Yes I'm aware that this is a line of power tools that are produced outside of the Ridgid plumbing tool line. The fact that the name "Ridgid" is boldly labled on the tool is misleading. It gives the conotation that this is manufactured along side the high quality, American-made pipe machines, etc. that Ridgid is known for. When the average consumer buys a product based on brand name, is he expected to research what product line or licensing agreements the maufacturer has created. When I started in plumbing I could buy a Ridgid tool without even reading the label. I guess that's not true anymore.

3) No matter what Ridgid is producing, manufacturing it outside of the US reduces the jobs of the very people who are their customers.

4) What's wrong with Ridgid building a plant in the US to produce their woodworking tools?
                          the dog

Comment

THANKS PLUMBERDOG 10. GLAD THAT YOU FELT THAT YOU WERE A LITTLE TOO STRONG. AS FAR AS PRODUCING THINGS OVERSEAS LOOK AT SOME OF THE LOWER END PLUMBING FIXTURES FROM AMERICAN COMPANIES. SUCH AS AMERICAN STANDARD, KOHLER, MOEN, DELTA, PRICE PHISTER. WATER HEATERS FROM AMERICAN APPLIANCE, RHEEM, AO SMITH, BRADFORD WHITE. ALL OF THESE LOWER END , RESIDENTIAL PRODUCTS ARE MADE OUT OF THE US. WE CAN'T STOP FROM BUYING THEM. WOULD YOU OR YOUR CLIENT SPEND 50% MORE TO BUY A MADE IN AMERICA PRODUCT? DO YOU BUY AMERICAN, DOMESTIC GAL PIPE AND FITTINGS? DON'T THINK THAT'S IN THE BUDGET.
                            ONE THING THAT I LEARNED FROM WORKING AS A UNION PLUMBER FOR 13 YEARS WAS THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO ELIMINATE LABOR, MANPOWER. IF IT'S TOO FAST, THEY FIGHT IT. LOOK AT THE ONGOING LAWSUITS OVER PEX PIPE AND CSST GAS PIPE HERE IN CALIFORNIA. IT'S ALL BASED ON UNION POLITICTS. ALL OTHER STATES AND COUNTRIES ALLOW FOR IT'S USE. IN THE OLD DAYS WE HAD TO THREAD ALL OUR HANGER RODS. NO ALLTHREAD. TODAY WE USE ALLTHREAD. I DON'T THINK THAT WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE BATTLE OVER COST SAVINGS. AS LONG AS THE PRODUCTS MEET OUR CODES THEY ARE ALLOWED. THIS BRINGS ME BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC. IF RIDGID'S NAME IS ON THE TOOL. THEY WILL STAND BEHIND IT. IT MIGHT NOT HAVE THE LIFETIME WARRANTY, BUT IT HAS A 3 YEAR WARRANTY. THAT'S BETTER THAN MOST. I WOULD RATHER PURCHASE A PRODUCT THAT HAD AN AMERICAN NAME ON IT, EVEN IF IT WAS MADE OVERSEAS. THAN TO PURCHASE JUNK FROM AN OVERSEAS CO. I FEEL THAT THE PARENT CO. WILL STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND NAME.
                            LOOK AROUND YOUR JOBSITE AT ALL THE DIFFERENT MATERIAL AND FIXTURES AND SEE WHAT IS DOMESTIC AND WHAT IS IMPORT. YOU'LL BE AMAZED.
                            THANK'S FOR THE RESPONSE.

Comment

As far as lower end products coming from other countries you are right, but if RIGID starts down this path they will put out an impression that their products are lower end. I have used RIGID plumbing tools for 10 years and have bragged their quality to everyone I have worked with. I am just finding out that they are making some of their line overseas. I know that this is part of competing with the world but I am sad to see it happening. I have put my trust in their high quality and have been willing to pay the price for that quality. I will also say that if I notice that any of their hand tools that I own are made overseas I will start to buy other brands. I am an American plumber working for the American public, I owe it to every person I work for to support jobs in this country. I am willing to pay the extra money for the tools made in and made by American workers, just as the people I work for put their trust in me.

Comment

Working...
                              X