Earthquake Valve.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake Valve.

For those of you who have PM'd me about what the heck one is, or what one looks like, here you go, from a job today.

The before and after picture. The meter was in a wall cavity, so it made it a bit harder to work with. But all in a day's work.

By the way, I slammed that door as hard as possible, enough to have the owner come out, there is no way closing that door will set it off.

Attached Files
    sigpic

Robert

Re: Earthquake Valve.

Is galvanized the norm for you guys on the left coast?

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      Is galvanized the norm for you guys on the left coast?

I only use galvanized, although not required in this instance, only outside, but I hate black pipe and it rot's faster.

galv is cleaner and stays looking nice, especially in moisture
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

we use all black pipe and we paint all pipe that is out side
        we cant use gal the inside of the pipe rots and flaks get into gas valves
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
          we use all black pipe and we paint all pipe that is out side
          we cant use gal the inside of the pipe rots and flaks get into gas valves

You guy's have some bad gas over there
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I too was told long ago to never use Gal pipe with gas since the zinc would flake off and clog orifi...

I was recently on a gas leak and was talking with the local gas utility during the pressure test and this subject came up here is what he said...

" The old Gal pipe had a very rough zinc finish that was suceptable to flaking. It has to do with the way the old galvinization process of hot dipping... Now the process is changed and it is not the problem it once was. We now have greater problems with the rust in black iron so we only use Gal nipples and fittings at the meters."

I still only use BI but am not bothered by the use of Gal

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post

robert, hate to tell you, but an earthquake valve has to be sized to the largest pipe downstream.

your 3/4'' valve, although might be rated for enough btu's. is not the proper size since the down stream pipe is 1'' or 1.25''.

there is a way around it, but not usually worth it. you can draw up the entire gas system and submit it for plan check. get it approved and signed off.

of course this is in the city of l.a. not sure what city you're in?

this all changed about 5 years ago.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                robert, hate to tell you, but an earthquake valve has to be sized to the largest pipe downstream.

your 3/4'' valve, although might be rated for enough btu's. is not the proper size since the down stream pipe is 1'' or 1.25''.

there is a way around it, but not usually worth it. you can draw up the entire gas system and submit it for plan check. get it approved and signed off.

of course this is in the city of l.a. not sure what city you're in?

this all changed about 5 years ago.

rick.

The pipe is 1 1/4" in the wall, and there is a stove, FAU and a water heater on it, thats it. Really stupid for me to put on an 1 1/4" valve considering I don't even have room for it. All my others have been approved. This is not in Los Angeles either, and the city does not want a permit, I called and checked, I was gonna have it permitted and inspected.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert, do you consider this "Code Redundancy"?

J.C.

Comment

I've switched to ASSI, and won't go back. I like having the unit mounted to the house wall ,no false tripping. Also I like the separate shut down button. Greg uses them also.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Robert, do you consider this "Code Redundancy"?

J.C.

In a way, on this I do. I would have had to tear up this guy's house to install an 1 1/4 e/q valve. This job also, is not in the city of los angeles.

This is not considered a restriction.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

How'd you keep such clean joints? I always end up having pipe dope on my joints. If the meter is 3/4" why isn't the valve sized to meter and not the pipe? What does it matter about the pipe in wall? Keep in mind this is the first time I've seen an earthquake valve.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I just love that poeple would willingly live in a place that could slip into the ocean at any time.
                          sigpic

Comment

LOOKS VERY GOOD ROBERT
                            BUT ON THIS ONE I AGREE WITH RICK ,
                            WITH THE EXTRA 90'S YOU HAD TO USE YOU COULD HAVE A UNACCEPTABLE GAS FLOW LOSS

YOU SHOULD PUT IN THE BRAND NAME AND MODEL NUMBER,
                            PLUS A SHORT NOTE HOW AND WHY IT'S USED IN So. CALIF. FOR THOSE FOLKS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT A EARTHQUAKE IS.
                            JERRYMAC
                            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              I've switched to ASSI, and won't go back. I like having the unit mounted to the house wall ,no false tripping. Also I like the separate shut down button. Greg uses them also.

I like ASSI, just have not used it yet. Today, I decided I am gonna start using them. Just take the 90 off and install their fitting, very convenient. I also like the way it is mounted to the house. Less chance of a false reading.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X