X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas pipe problem

I was installing a new hose bib in a 1999 house, gigantic mc mansion type with all the bells and whistles, except no hose bib for the deck. Simple job of t'ing off the kitchen sink cold copper punch a hole out and screw on the sillcock. I was not expecting to run into 1/2 inch flexible gas line. There is about half a second of frozen stupidity in theses moments and then total panic running to find the gas meter. I talked to the home owner, called the boss and started to find parts for a repair. Thats when things got interesting. Apparently there are at least four different types of flexible gas tubing in use in the portland or area and none of the parts are universal. Luckily I was able to find the name of the gas line in a mechanical room and after five or six phone calls track down a distributer of "diamondback" pipe and fittings. Five hours later and the "simple" hose bib job was done and the gas was back on. Has anyone else run into this. What happens when these companies go out of business. Which brands are most popular? In the portland area there is Wardflex, Trackpipe, Gastight, and Diamondback.

Re: gas pipe problem

the only one i have ever used was gastite but that is in canada eh

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
      I was installing a new hose bib in a 1999 house, gigantic mc mansion type with all the bells and whistles, except no hose bib for the deck. Simple job of t'ing off the kitchen sink cold copper punch a hole out and screw on the sillcock. I was not expecting to run into 1/2 inch flexible gas line. There is about half a second of frozen stupidity in theses moments and then total panic running to find the gas meter. I talked to the home owner, called the boss and started to find parts for a repair. Thats when things got interesting. Apparently there are at least four different types of flexible gas tubing in use in the portland or area and none of the parts are universal. Luckily I was able to find the name of the gas line in a mechanical room and after five or six phone calls track down a distributer of "diamondback" pipe and fittings. Five hours later and the "simple" hose bib job was done and the gas was back on. Has anyone else run into this. What happens when these companies go out of business. Which brands are most popular? In the portland area there is Wardflex, Trackpipe, Gastight, and Diamondback.
      ]

If you couldnt locate the manufacturer you would have to repipe a new line. On the other hand it doesnt sound like this job was done correctly as the manufacturer requires the nail plates with "wings" and also the tubing that goes around csst in a vertical pipe layout to protect the tubing in a situation like this.

Comment

We mostly use trac-pipe, but there is a bit of ward-flex around also. I guess I like trac a bit better because it's easier to make up the fittings, but in the end it's all pretty much the same stuff.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
          ]

If you couldnt locate the manufacturer you would have to repipe a new line. On the other hand it doesnt sound like this job was done correctly as the manufacturer requires the nail plates with "wings" and also the tubing that goes around csst in a vertical pipe layout to protect the tubing in a situation like this.
          Three conditions to meet when installing CSST...
          within 3" of a nailing surface- concealed - braced.
          Whenever these three conditions are met...you absolutely MUST use nail plates.

I also have to question the wisdom of a "grunt" doing a gas pipe repair.
          I understand the situation, but even the smallest leak could be BIG trouble down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post
            the only one i have ever used was gastite but that is in canada eh
            It's better than Wardflex any day, I also like Tracpipe, they both have metal to metal seals.
            Wardflex depends on graphite washers that easily tear if the cut has the smallest burr, plus Wardflex is annealed...it's soft & I've seen it tear when pulled through tight spots.

Comment

There should be a standard to these products due to the fact that you never know what you will find behind the wall. For example If you are certified in WardFlex, and a situatition in the O.P. presents itself and you are not certified in "Diamondback" (I dont even know if they require certification I am pretty sure they do although I have never seen it here). What are we supposed to do find locate a contractor certified in this stuff to make the repair. I know a supply house isnt supposed to sell Wardflex to someone not certified. Yes if the product is in our area we should be certified for all of them if we are expected to do service plumbing. But it isnt fair to our customers for us to spend 2 hours trying to find something as simple some obscure manufacturer of a certain gas pipe.

If we have to wait a day for a faucet part ok no big deal turn off the fixture and the customer has a SLIGHT inconvenince if we have to shut down the gas that could mean no heat or hot water until we can obtain the proper fittings to make a repair. I just say there should be some kind of standardization!

Comment

Wrench, I cannot impress just how much I agree.
                I've been certified in Trac, Gastite & Wardflex.
                I did a job once with a licensed fella that had been certified in Tracpipe.
                We were using Wardflex (I hate the stuff)...he didn't realize he was supposed to have 3 corrugates in front of the split sleeve & tightened them down the same way he'd have done Tracpipe.
                On testing, there was only one slow leak...when I found it I noticed the way it'd been done, so I asked hiom if thats how he'd done them all...yes, he had.
                We had to redo the whole thing, 2 units of piping.
                If that leak hadn't happened, god only knows what woulda happened if 6 yr old Tommy was in the basement yanking on the pipe...

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

I also have to question the wisdom of a "grunt" doing a gas pipe repair.

I don't follow you?

Comment

I don't follow you?
                    I'm not sure... but is this guy a plumber?

He lists "grunt" in his trade.

Comment

I'm not sure... but is this guy a plumber?

He lists "grunt" in his trade.
                      Gotcha, I thought you were slinging insults at me again for calling you a hickdead. You know it takes us NYers a little time to catch on .

Comment

Gotcha, I thought you were slinging insults at me again for calling you a hickdead. You know it takes us NYers a little time to catch on .
                        I would NEVER!

Even though yer dam yankee's fans booed the crap outta our players in the allstar game last night...dam Ny'ers can thank JD Drew another time I guess...<sigh>

Comment

I would NEVER!

Even though yer dam yankee's fans booed the crap outta our players in the allstar game last night...dam Ny'ers can thank JD Drew another time I guess...<sigh>
                          Well if Papelbum would have kept his mouth closed we probably would have cheered him........NOT Although I gotta say I have been a big fan of Drew for a long time.

Comment

CSST should be "snaked" loose inside a wall, never pulled tight. It sucks you hit it.

I never pull it tight, and have had inspectors call me on it

I always use a "conduit" when close to an outlet. Sadly, fittings are not interchangable, so brand has to stay with a brand, eays way to do this, only use one brand, I only use TracPipe.

As you mentioned, hopefully they stay in business
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I use Gastite and have been pretty happy with it except for the cost...

Ya just got to remember to cut the jacket back two complete turns and the fittings will do the rest

Comment

Working...
                              X