X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submursible pump

Just a quick pump question for all the pump guys out there. My house pump will not pump up any higher than 40 PSI. I had to adjust the pressure switch to get the thing to shut off. I have approx. 20 GPM at the yard hydrant near the well. When it comes through the house it goes through a hydrocharger and then into an air/water tank. Volume at this point is restricted to about 7 GPM. After going through the iron filter it is reduced to 5 GPM. I cannot have my outside faucet, W/M, and shower on without drastically reducing my shower to the point of making it worthless. This is a new problem that has just occured. Am I correct in thinking that if I could get my pump to increase in pressure, my volume would increase proportionally? The pump is only 6 years old and approx 100' down. So what causes a pump to not build sufficient pressure? Should I just call a pump guy?
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Submursible pump

Is the pump a submersible? If so and you can't get more than 40 lbs out of it, one of two things is wrong. # 1 the inlet strainers are mostly plugged. # 2 you have damaged impellers. Pull the pump and hang the pitless on the well casing. Then fire it up, point it into a 5 gallon buckett, see if you get volume out of it. If you get good volume then you have some restriction between the well and the house. Check the pressure at the well tank. If it's a shallow well pump, the jet (either at the pump or in the well) is most likley plugged up a bit, or the impeller (not usually) could be plugged also.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes,the pump is a submersible. 20 GPM near the well head, did not check pressue at this point. Pressure at the tank will not exceed 40 PSI. Would it be correct to say that regardles of restriction that the pressure would equalize and would be the same at the well head as it is at the bladder tank, if there were no leaks and everything in the house where shut off?

Comment

Gotta be the pump. Most subs will put out near 130lbs.
        sigpic

Comment

put a pressure gage on the hydrant and see what it is, if it will not build any more than your 40 psi, then I would say a pump problem of some type, but if your building good pressure there I would guess the aeration unit is plugging or restricting, as it is in front of the pressure tank according to the description, and guessing the pressure switch is on the air tank or near there. but like NH said the pump should be able to pump a good deal more pressure than 40 psi,
          but with 20 gpm pump capacity,

upping the pressure probly will not increase the volume, at lest not much,
          Bernoulli's law, It works out to be this: The pressure change is much greater than the flow rate change. In fact, if the flow rate needs to double the pressure must increase four times.
          http://www.spratronics.com/PDFs/Vari...icescience.pdf
          as the volume is more set by the pump capacity, and restrictions, not as much by pressure.
          but even with a restriction after the pump you should still able to pump to pressure even if the flow is shut down after the restriced flow. (may not be the best worded) but once the water is shut off after the restrictions, the pressure should build.

Is there a pressure relief in the line after the pump before the tank and all? as most sub pumps will blow the relief valve it restricted before the pressure tank, I have heard of them blowing the hot water heaters relief valve.

I would guess an internal pump problem, as if it was restricted on the intake I can't hardly see on one could get 20 gpm, even in free flow, and not be able to build 40 psi in the house.

but I would think if you have a 20 gpm pump and have it restricted to 7 gpm before the pressure tank, you putting some serious stress on the pump, unless your watering, and the hydrant is open,

does the hydrant get benefit of the pressure tank? where is the wells check valve? and will water flow both ways thought the aerator unit (hydrocharger).
          jsut out of interest how deep is the well.

how big is your pressure tanks, for a 20 gpm pump you should have about a 100 gallon tank with a bladder, 300 if it is jsut air tank, for the pumps protection, http://www.watersystemscouncil.org/V...Tank_FINAL.pdf
          Last edited by BHD; 07-20-2008, 02:27 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Is the pump a submersible? If so and you can't get more than 40 lbs out of it, one of two things is wrong. # 1 the inlet strainers are mostly plugged. # 2 you have damaged impellers. Pull the pump and hang the pitless on the well casing. Then fire it up, point it into a 5 gallon buckett, see if you get volume out of it. If you get good volume then you have some restriction between the well and the house. Check the pressure at the well tank. If it's a shallow well pump, the jet (either at the pump or in the well) is most likley plugged up a bit, or the impeller (not usually) could be plugged also.
            Good advice!
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              put a pressure gage on the hydrant and see what it is, if it will not build any more than your 40 psi, then I would say a pump problem of some type, but if your building good pressure there I would guess the aeration unit is plugging or restricting, as it is in front of the pressure tank according to the description, and guessing the pressure switch is on the air tank or near there. but like NH said the pump should be able to pump a good deal more pressure than 40 psi,
              but with 20 gpm pump capacity,

upping the pressure probly will not increase the volume, at lest not much,
              as the volume is more set by the pump capacity, and restrictions, not as much by pressure.
              but even with a restriction after the pump you should still able to pump to pressure even if the flow is shut down after the restriced flow. (may not be the best worded) but once the water is shut off after the restrictions, the pressure should build.

Is there a pressure relief in the line after the pump before the tank and all? as most sub pumps will blow the relief valve it restricted before the pressure tank, I have heard of them blowing the hot water heaters relief valve.

I would guess an internal pump problem, as if it was restricted on the intake I can't hardly see on one could get 20 gpm, even in free flow, and not be able to build 40 psi in the house.

but I would think if you have a 20 gpm pump and have it restricted to 7 gpm before the pressure tank, you putting some serious stress on the pump, unless your watering, and the hydrant is open,

does the hydrant get benefit of the pressure tank? where is the wells check valve? and will water flow both ways thought the aerator unit (hydrocharger).
              jsut out of interest how deep is the well.

how big is your pressure tanks, for a 20 gpm pump you should have about a 100 gallon tank with a bladder, 300 if it is jsut air tank, for the pumps protection, http://www.watersystemscouncil.org/V...Tank_FINAL.pdf
              Thanks for your advice. I will check the pressure at the hydrant. The iron filter has been installed for about 5 years, so the back pressure created on the pump by the hydrocharger may have caused some damage. The hydrocharger does allow water to flow back to the yard hydrant from the tank, but the volume is restricted to the same point it is coming into the tank. I would have to assume the check valve is built into the submersible pump and the pump is approx. 100' down. Currently the system has a 20 gallon air/water tank, and a 40 gallon bladder tank.

Comment

Working...
              X