Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta Faucet Diamond Seal Technology

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
    We have been giving Wolverine Brass a shot. We recently purchased a few single handle lav. faucets, single handle & two tub/shower faucets.

I have seen mixed reviews on W.B., so I'm not holding my breath. We are also not considering Kohler due to the massive amount of repair parts we would have to stock, although I think they have nice designs.

Today I put in a customer supplied Price Phister aka Black and Decker tub/shower valve in. It clogged up almost immediately and I had to take it apart and clean it. The ports are very small.

I know Delta has been downsizing their plant here in Indiana big time.

Always remember that when you install a WB faucet, neither you or the homeowner will ever get repair parts locally. That locks them up completely from ever getting the faucet fixed, unless of course you have the parts in stock. Otherwise it is a waiting game because WB won't even sell to supply houses here.

Many many of times I've removed WB faucets solely because the customer didn't want the last guy who put it in because it kept the homeowner from working on it themselves.

I've been to that plant, years ago when I was in the apprenticeship.

They showed us the big machines that were brought in from Germany that bored the brass billets into valve bodies for the 600 series and all single handled faucets in 3 seconds. Pretty amazing.

Totally gave another perspective to more than just the install and repair side of the product...seeing how it's actually made was pretty damn cool.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 08-17-2008, 06:47 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: Another disappointment in regards to product reliability

The company I work for has used Delta for all our faucets and shower valves for three or four years now. They have been great but lately, I don't know. I always thought Delta was great from a service stand point with common universal parts. It seems like every time I open the box there's more plastic and less brass. If they do away with the seats and springs and switch over to kohler type cartridges...I don't know maybe it's time to look at Moen again.

Comment

Does anyone

Here use Gerber faucets. Very popular here in NY. Everbody has parts for them. The ceramic stems are great.
        WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
        ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Been meaning to get back to this thread.

Has anyone else heard anything about this change with Delta?

I asked one of my suppliers about it this week, he just looked at me like I have two heads and told me there's no possible way this is true...said he talks to the Delta rep several times a week and he'd have mentioned this.

Comment

I haven't heard of it, but I only use Delta for my own customers. Our shop uses mostly American Standard. I used to hate AS but really I can't complain, they've been pretty good valves. Back in the day of 1225 cartridges I liked Moen, but they've got too many cheap valves out now.

I generally pass on installing plastic faucets. Never could feel good about the water connection when I left. Now w/ flex supplies, I've thought about reconsidering that stance, but still haven't...just can't quite bring myself to do it. I'm trying. Maybe if they sign a waiver.
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I'm going to see if I can get what I saw....or see if that plumbing supply house was given some for reference.

I'm tellin ya, gonna be pissed when you see it. It looks like something that's a throw away from the start.

That same rep goes to all the supply houses I deal with so maybe he left the product there.

Reminds me of a WB contraption all the way.
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 08-17-2008, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I still keep in touch with one of my buddies that is a counter guy at my supply house and he actullay brought these up the other night when he was over. He just commented on the diamond impregnated ceramic discs. He didnt mention anything about the pex supply lines that i recall but shots were fired so i cant vouch for my coherentness. He said that the the reason for the change is the chemisty of our drinking water. It is becoming more acidic and the change in the materials are supposed to be more resistant to fouling. Although i must say I wouldnt want to use plastic cheap flimsy parts on something as hands on as a faucet. I mean how many faucets made of METAL have been mangled by an overzealous homeowner with a gorilla grip!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  I'm going to see if I can get what I saw....or see if that plumbing supply house was given some for reference.

I'm tellin ya, gonna be pissed when you see it. It looks like something that's a throw away from the start.

That same rep goes to all the supply houses I deal with so maybe he left the product there.

Reminds me of a WB contraption all the way.
                  I know you dislike Kohler, but...hehehe...I betcha they're starting to look a lil' better n better.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I know you dislike Kohler, but...hehehe...I betcha they're starting to look a lil' better n better.

For about 4 pounds of brass that they are....yes, for scrap value! lol

Seems like people love those Forte' kitchen sink faucets. They look nice but if you put them on a stainless steel sink, forget about them being sturdy.

That deck mount has to be rock solid, otherwise the faucet is flimsy in its use.

I hate searching for parts though; Delta is very reasonable on finding old parts for their faucets........if only they'd stay with precious metals.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 08-17-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      For about 4 pounds of brass that they are....yes, for scrap value! lol

Seems like people love those Forte' kitchen sink faucets. They look nice but if you put them on a stainless steel sink, forget about them being sturdy.

That deck mount has to be rock solid, otherwise the faucet is flimsy in its use.

I hate searching for parts though; Delta is very reasonable on finding old parts for their faucets........if only they'd stay with precious metals.
                      Did a Forte two weeks ago, yup...on a SS basin and yup...the faucet was sturdy as all get up, beyond the fact that the basin wobbled.
                      Customer picked it up at Ferguson...I was off the hook.
                      They're a gem on Granite or corian.

Comment

I actually like the look, that tall bottle look is pretty cool....

but I haven't had to get a callback for a leak through the spout, or a leak coming down through the bottom into the sink base.
                        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 08-17-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          Did a Forte two weeks ago, yup...on a SS basin and yup...the faucet was sturdy as all get up, beyond the fact that the basin wobbled.
                          Customer picked it up at Ferguson...I was off the hook.
                          They're a gem on Granite or corian.
                          I don't understand why someone would put a $200.00 faucet on a $30.00 sink, but it happens all the time.

I just saw the new Delta faucet also. It looks to me like they are trying to cut manufacturing costs. Probably to compete with Glacier Bay. Like it or not I'll bet the majority of faucets sold are now sold through HD and Lowes and since most homeowners either dont know what a quality faucet is or for that matter care, Delta has decided to cater to the diy crowd. If this is going to be a trend in Delta's designs then I'm going to have to switch to something else, probably Kohler.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's time to give Gerber a try. They dont sell to the big boxes and sell only to professionals.

http://www.gerberonline.com/Profile.aspx

Comment

I like Gerbers and actually have a Gerber pull-out for my own kitchen faucet.

My "budget" faucet is Peerless. Brass body, ceramic stems. Cheap. Compared to most of what I see people buying for themselves, it's higher quality.

It's hard for me to like Kohler. I've had far too many issues with them, from leaks out of brand new cartridges to plastic bits breaking on the rack in the shop. Weren't they about the first ones to use a plastic faucet body?

I had a Kohler shower valve last year that wouldn't stop leaking. I replaced the parts and the thing sang like a blender when running. I'm guessing a problem with the body itself, but the snooty babe wouldn't let me back in to work on it - she was always leaving town. Maybe someday she'll move out and I can get the thing fixed.

In commercial, I think Kohler is fine. They'd have to improve their parts search before I got to liking them for residential.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                                I don't understand why someone would put a $200.00 faucet on a $30.00 sink, but it happens all the time.

I just saw the new Delta faucet also. It looks to me like they are trying to cut manufacturing costs. Probably to compete with Glacier Bay. Like it or not I'll bet the majority of faucets sold are now sold through HD and Lowes and since most homeowners either dont know what a quality faucet is or for that matter care, Delta has decided to cater to the diy crowd. If this is going to be a trend in Delta's designs then I'm going to have to switch to something else, probably Kohler.
                                The whole thing is kinda interesting, in a pathetic kinda way.

The trade seems to be evolving whether we like it or not....always has, always will.
                                You may recall maybe 15 or 20 years ago there was an inspector in MA that would wait in the parking lot of the local HD and question individuals walking out with plumbing fixtures as to who the plumber was that was installing it.
                                Everyone thought he was some kinda jerk...I betcha not so many do now with HD trying to get their mits on every aspect of our trade and monopolize it.

HD complained and he was asked to stop, BUT...I have a friend who went to HD for the bennies, he's licensed.
                                He tells me the local inspector stops in to check that the store has a licensed guy on duty...apparently MA requires a licensed electrician & plumber on the floor now...I assume for anyone that sells plumbing stock or fixtures.

As for the catering to DIY cheapies...it's all good for us...more work, more service down the road.
                                I think it may increase the demand for plumbers in the near future.
                                Thank you HGTV, Lowes, Home Depot & "Flip that house"...we appreciate the investment.

You can do it, we can help!

Comment

Working...
                                X