it's a friesendorf coupling

Comment

Re: The wall of fame ,the wall of shame

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
      GOOD CALL "RICK" I MISSED THAT,
      NEVER SAY I AM NOT ONE
      TO ADMIT TO MY MISTAKES

THAT TEE WITH THE RISER STILL LIFTS THE
      PROBE OUT OF THE HOT WATER AT TOP OF TANK ! ! !
      AND WHY A BOILER DRAIN AT THE T&P OPENING
      IS THAT LOCAL CODE OR SOMETHING ? ?
      "RICK"
      What did he do?
      Except for posting 4 1/2 hours later that our buddy Crack (Team Geritol)
      spanked a few

Probe looks close to not reaching.I like the hose bib.I can see it being used to aid drainage,either by simple air break or connecting my CO2 tank.It also helps keep homeowners little paws off the T+P trip lever thereby increasing it's lifespan.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        "RICK"
        What did he do?
        Except for posting 4 1/2 hours later that our buddy Crack (Team Geritol)
        spanked a few

Probe looks close to not reaching.I like the hose bib.I can see it being used to aid drainage,either by simple air break or connecting my CO2 tank.It also helps keep homeowners little paws off the T+P trip lever thereby increasing it's lifespan.
        T&P would act to vent it.
        I'm waiting for CRACK (NOT Dunbar - edited) to 'splain it.
        Last edited by DuckButter; 08-08-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

If I'm correct that is a Weil Mclain indirect. There is no drain on the bottom of the indirect tank. That is supposed to be the draw off that "drains" the water from the tank. Although it is in the wrong location as it should not be in the auxillary tapping it should go in the cold tapping.
          Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-08-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

DIRECT OR IN-DIRECT WATER HEATER THATS STILL HELL OF A LOT OF LIME/CORROSION RUNNING DOWN THAT PIPE ! !
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              I'm waiting for Dunbar to 'splain it.
              That's kind of what I don't like to do many times it won't reseat itself properly and start leaking.Leave them alone and they have a tendancy to last longer.At least that is my honest opinion.

Another thought...Be easy to pressure test off that nice bib Crack put on for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                If I'm correct that is a Weil Mclain indirect. There is no drain on the bottom of the indirect tank. That is supposed to be the draw off that "drains" the water from the tank. Although it is in the wrong location as it should not be in the auxillary tapping it should go in the cold tapping.
                Sure looks like a Gold Plus to me too. I agree the tee should be on the cold water inlet.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Is that dielectric corrosion? I've never seen that on WH that are 10 years old.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That's kind of what I don't like to do many times it won't reseat itself properly and start leaking.Leave them alone and they have a tendancy to last longer.At least that is my honest opinion.

Another thought...Be easy to pressure test off that nice bib Crack put on for me.
                    Those relief valves should be lifted now and then. Ever see what happens when they never get used, then don't work when you need them to? I'm sure a fair percentage of the plumbers on this forum have at one time or
                    other. I don't so much have a problem with using a tee if the probe is long enough, except there doesn't appear to have been a reason for it?
                    It's not even an outlet, the piping is going of the srv outlet. Seems like the tee should have been put in the domestic piping at least.
                    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                      Those relief valves should be lifted now and then. Ever see what happens when they never get used, then don't work when you need them to? I'm sure a fair percentage of the plumbers on this forum have at one time or
                      other. I don't so much have a problem with using a tee if the probe is long enough, except there doesn't appear to have been a reason for it?
                      It's not even an outlet, the piping is going of the srv outlet. Seems like the tee should have been put in the domestic piping at least.
                      No I haven't.What are you telling me,you pressure test on the other side of the t+p to see if it kicks off when a tank fails.

What I have seen is four valves that I or others have fiddled with for one reason or another start leaking to where it had to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                        You're a smart one One of the options in the piping diagram has it on the cold side but this heater comes with an extra full lenth dip tube for using the auxiliary tapping for a drain down.

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        I'm waiting for Dunbar to 'splain it.
                        Dunbar didn't install the heater but he's free to 'splain it to you

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Sure looks like a Gold Plus to me too. I agree the tee should be on the cold water inlet.
                        Ultra Plus 60 comes with a Watts XL-100-8 T&P valve with 8" element.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Is that dielectric corrosion? I've never seen that on WH that are 10 years old.
                        No thats chemicals in our drinking water after they are evaporated.
                        Small leak on 90 just out of picture. She has been aware of this leak for 3 years but didn't bother to call about it.

If it makes everyone sleep better at night I will confirm thet the auxiliary tapping does indeed have a full lenth diptube and if so, I will move the relief valve and brass tee to the hot water outlet. My thinking is, the relief probe would not be as effective inside the dip tube...right?

Comment

Boilerman made my point...you're supposed to test them annually.
                          If they can't hold when you trip them, they won't hold when they trip on their own and nobodies there to see it happen & replace it.

Comment

No I haven't.What are you telling me,you pressure test on the other side of the t+p to see if it kicks off when a tank fails.

What I have seen is four valves that I or others have fiddled with for one reason or another start leaking to where it had to be replaced.
                            No, but as a plumber, when you fiddle with a relief valve and it doesn't reseat, what's the big deal with replacing it? You just saved the homeowner a call down the road.

The 8" element means it reaches the tank, designed to be used with a tee on the hot water outlet. I still don't understand the purpose of the boiler drain, although I missed that it wasn't a valve too when I first looked at the pic.
                            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Dunbar didn't install the heater but he's free to 'splain it to you
                              It's yer avitar, Dunbar usually does the strange, obscene or plain old odd.
                              I keep confusing you with him because of the ...picture.

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                                No, but as a plumber, when you fiddle with a relief valve and it doesn't reseat, what's the big deal with replacing it? You just saved the homeowner a call down the road.

The 8" element means it reaches the tank, designed to be used with a tee on the hot water outlet. I still don't understand the purpose of the boiler drain, although I missed that it wasn't a valve too when I first looked at the pic.
                                Exactly.
                                If it won't hold, you left a problem waiting to happen.
                                I guess it's a service thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X