plastic locater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic locater

heres one for you guys---yesterday i had to locate a 2' gas line ---i just bought a ridgid sr-20--excellent locater!!!
    heres my question-- the customer said it was all steel and it was at the outlet riser of the meter--the gas line runs about 600 feet to the building,feeding it in several spots--this is a high pressure feed off a transmission line--i used the inductive clamp around the steel and set freq to 33 mhz. i followed it about 200 feet and then i absolutely dropped all signal-- so i figured it was probably a dresser that transitioned to plastic-- i dug it up and found all plastic, so i was now 200 feet from the transmitter and clamp-- i followed it back 30 feet towards the riser and dug again--still plastic--i dug 2 more holes and both were plastic--also there was no tracer wire anywhere--trust me --at the riser i dug a basement looking--i was told by the rep and the manual that plastic does not carry signal--and i have tried befor with the old locater and pretty much looked like an idiot.. why did i pick it up?????????????????????????????????????????

Re: plastic locater

There was some sort of trace conductor in the pipe.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

they make a metalic caution tape that labeled with caution gas pipe buried below?

no tracer wire? no tracer tape

could you have been tracing another utility line that the gas pipe was grounded to? like water or electrical

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

there were no other utilities--electric is aerial--water and sewer is about 150 yards away--it was a steel riser with a dresser 90 that transitioned to plastic--regular orange plastic gas line--no tracer tape or wire---im no dummy to locating--have done it for several years--just upgraded to sr-20---any other thoughts????

Comment

where's the electric ?

Comment

Electric is aerial---in the air---on a telephone pole--

Comment

There is probably no tracer wire in the part where you lost signal.

Comment

IT WAS ONE SOLID PIECE OF PLASTIC---IT IS STANDARD GAS PIPE--IT DOES not HAVE TRACER WIRE IN IT--THE GAS COMPANY WAS THERE TODAY AND HE WAS ALSO MYSTIFIED

Comment

HONESTLY-- IHAVE NEVER HEARD OF POLYETHYLENE PIPE WITH A TRACER METAL OR WIRE MOLDED IN IT--IS THAT COMMON TO YOU GUYS?????-

Comment

Could the supply for this gas meter have been running under this poly pipe for some distance and then turn? Maybe your signal was going through the meter and up the supply.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      Could the supply for this gas meter have been running under this poly pipe for some distance and then turn? Maybe your signal was going through the meter and up the supply.
                      Leave it to the QuizMan! Good answer.

J.C.

Comment

Thought of that -but no-

steel feed line meter building

-----------------------------#####------------------------------

see why i dont get it?

Comment

I should have taken a pic----this entire line runs from east to west east being service side and west being the building---half of the line is steel,half plastic------steel up to meter----plastic from meter to building-- no other lines around---i'm reading my manual for sr-20 now

Comment

You mentioned no utilities but I didn't see any report on telephone or cable. I think that sr20 will pick up dang near any frequency.

I understand you have some pretty big River Birch trees in Ohio.
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Telephone,cable and electric are aerial---on poles. Only utilitys in ground are gas--water-sewer-------water and sewer are nowhere close

Comment

Working...
                              X