X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumberjr
    started a topic plastic locater

plastic locater

heres one for you guys---yesterday i had to locate a 2' gas line ---i just bought a ridgid sr-20--excellent locater!!!
    heres my question-- the customer said it was all steel and it was at the outlet riser of the meter--the gas line runs about 600 feet to the building,feeding it in several spots--this is a high pressure feed off a transmission line--i used the inductive clamp around the steel and set freq to 33 mhz. i followed it about 200 feet and then i absolutely dropped all signal-- so i figured it was probably a dresser that transitioned to plastic-- i dug it up and found all plastic, so i was now 200 feet from the transmitter and clamp-- i followed it back 30 feet towards the riser and dug again--still plastic--i dug 2 more holes and both were plastic--also there was no tracer wire anywhere--trust me --at the riser i dug a basement looking--i was told by the rep and the manual that plastic does not carry signal--and i have tried befor with the old locater and pretty much looked like an idiot.. why did i pick it up?????????????????????????????????????????

• Cuda
    replied
    Re: plastic locater

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
    I did recreate and try again wiyh exact same results---really strange---------i will test the plastic to steel test tomorrow and post it here
    Sorry to bring this thread back up but it always interested me. How was the plastic conveying the darn signal? If anybody has ever used a metal adapter to plastic pipe, induced a signal and been able to trace it please speak up. Plumberjr did you ever figure this out?

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

And i tried all 3 freqs--same

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

I did recreate and try again wiyh exact same results---really strange---------i will test the plastic to steel test tomorrow and post it here

Leave a comment:

• SlimTim
    replied

Well, I'm just curious. Did you try to recreate the whole scenario? I mean, did you disconnect your locater and then try to do it all again with the same results? Did it lose signal at the same place? Did you try it at 8 mhz?
    Have you tried it on other plastic yet?
    It would be fun to glue an adapter on a 20' length of pvc or poly and screw a black nipple in it and see what your locater does with that.

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

Makes no sense---thought of calling ridgid and asking about it

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

No irr or dog fence---large commercial garbage truck company

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

St 305 5 watt transmitter--- and 33 mhz

Leave a comment:

• SlimTim
    replied

Do they have an irrigation system or a dog fence?

Leave a comment:

• SlimTim
    replied

What frequency were you trying to read. What transmitter were you using?

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

What is weird is it just stopped--total loss of signal within 1 foot--maybe i was over top of an indian burial ground??????????????

Leave a comment:

• SlimTim
    replied

Where can I get me one of them plastic locaters? I really could of used one last month!

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

Telephone,cable and electric are aerial---on poles. Only utilitys in ground are gas--water-sewer-------water and sewer are nowhere close

Leave a comment:

• SlimTim
    replied

You mentioned no utilities but I didn't see any report on telephone or cable. I think that sr20 will pick up dang near any frequency.

I understand you have some pretty big River Birch trees in Ohio.

Leave a comment:

• plumberjr
    replied

I should have taken a pic----this entire line runs from east to west east being service side and west being the building---half of the line is steel,half plastic------steel up to meter----plastic from meter to building-- no other lines around---i'm reading my manual for sr-20 now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X