X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AO Smith

Lately I've had a rash of 2004-5 GPSH W/H's with the same issue. They start locking out. I've figured out several of the problems:

1. 3" vent not going far enough, too much air flow. 3x2 bushing on the termination takes care of this (per bulliten).
    2. Occasionally gas valve (today-no man pressure at all)
    3. Almost all: HSI isn't in position. I replace them, redrill a new hole in the bracket to move them 3/8" closer to the burner (old nox burners but they quit using the screens and didn't relocate the pilot) and bend the HSI bracket to lift it into position.

Here's what's bugging me. I've had at least two of these every week for the last couple months. I think we're getting more referals, but what I don't get is how these have been working for three or four years, then all of a sudden a run on them breaking down? I wonder if they've been cycling all this time during reheating and the homeowners just haven't noticed? I'm used to not seeing something for awhile, then getting 2 or 3 of the same problem back to back. But this is getting ridiculous. Has anyone else had issues with these heaters?

Maybe I should have posted this in the service forum.
    Last edited by boillerman; 07-25-2008, 09:25 PM.
    sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Re: AO Smith

the problem is this=-----
    AO SMITH IS JUNK--I THINK HOME DEPOT IS GOING TO START STOCKING IT

U GET WHAT U PAY FOR

AO SMITH TANKS ARE ALWAYS PROBLEMS--- ALL OF THEY'RE TANKS ARE LEMONS

Comment

If ao smith reads this, they will change the warranty to 2 years

Comment

I have had the same problem. AO smith powervent waters heaters locking out and needing extensive parts early on...gas controls and even blowers going bad within a few years.
        I used to install State, but our Ferguson is switching to RHEEM and I for one am glad about it. Rheem used to be better products, though I am not sure of their present quality...it seems most water heaters are made cheapo nowadays.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I have the same issues here with A.O. Smith Power Vents. The W.H.'s work fine for a short period of time then start acting up. The main problem I have had is the power vents going bad and the other being lockouts.

Those power vent assemblies are not cheap either.

When a customer needs a new W.H. we do not install A.O. Smith, even though we have easy access to them.

Bradford White is what we install.
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

We install Lochinvar and B/W also. Etna here used to stock AOSmith, so a lot of them are out there, and before they switched to Loch they got us into doing the service. None of the main plumbing wholesalers here stock AOSmith anymore, but the ones that are out there need to be taken care of for a few years. We haven't had too many blower problems, but this run on lockouts lately has had me puzzled.

Comment

Lochinvar =

Bradford White=

I have zero experience with the AO in question, just out of curiosity is this beast solid stae or digital control... The reason I ask because if digital it is pretty easy for a company to program in things at certain intervals that would be invisible otherwise....

Comment

Solid state. Gives codes. Usually the same one. Has 5 or 6 lights that you use to set temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  I have had the same problem. AO smith powervent waters heaters locking out and needing extensive parts early on...gas controls and even blowers going bad within a few years.
                  I used to install State, but our Ferguson is switching to RHEEM and I for one am glad about it. Rheem used to be better products, though I am not sure of their present quality...it seems most water heaters are made cheapo nowadays.
                  Almost all Rheem heaters are made in Mexico.

Comment

Do the corrections you make on them totally correct all problems?

I only saw this once (what I think you're talking about) on an A.O. Smith Direct Vent 75 gallon. It had a Honeywell Controller with hot ignition. I got called for an apparrent lockout but wasn't. I unplugged it for about a minute, plugged it back in, it cycled & ignited, and I haven't been back in about a year.

J.C.

Comment

Almost always. There's a State (same heater though) that's had several companies all go through the same motions, myself being the last, that after talking to the rep they decided must be in the wiring harness. I'll be doing that this week. It's pretty much their 40 and 50 gallon models though, as far as I can tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X