Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mobile home plumbing codes

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone who owns a mobile home. Some are actually pretty nice. It is true though that even in the nice ones, the plumbing is usually terrible.

Having done mobile home repipes for 5 yrs. I know more than I ever wanted about them. You do have to register them with the DMV, but I don't know if you have to have them smogged The homeowners don't like it when you refer to them as coaches, even less when you call them trailers, and they "really" don't like it when you refer to them as "disposable homes"
    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I don't want to offend anyone who owns a mobile home. Some are actually pretty nice. It is true though that even in the nice ones, the plumbing is usually terrible.

nice photos Carl, I really like the first one.
      The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
        What a coincidence you should ask this today. Just this morning I was telling Devine he could get into trailers since the plumbing code didn't apply. Yesterday I turned down a side job that an aquaintence wanted
        to have me do, a trailer he bought. Nice park. Bad pipe. Yuk. Crawl around under those things in the winter trying to thaw drain pipes sometime, you find yourself wondering why why why don't codes apply?
        Service Guy, I broke out with a good belly laugh when I saw that pic.
        Did you think I thought of this thread all by myself? You don't have to be the smartest guy, just make sure you're in their company. I've done some time in the south and a mobile home is a way for quite a few to own a home they otherwise couldn't afford.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

do they like the term "double wide"

actually there is a mobile home park at the beginning of malibu, sitting on top of the hill overlooking pacific coast highway. you have a $50,000 home that is literally mixed with the multi million dollar homes of malibu and pacific palisades.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Every time there's a bad storm and these trailers get blown all over the countryside because they are JUNK,

It's God's way of saying, "I hate you, provide a better life for you and family"

Kentucky is littered with them. If it ain't up on blocks like your truck....you ain't country!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              do they like the term "double wide"

actually there is a mobile home park at the beginning of malibu, sitting on top of the hill overlooking pacific coast highway. you have a $50,000 home that is literally mixed with the multi million dollar homes of malibu and pacific palisades.

rick.
              My grandparents used to live in a mobile home park on the coast in Pacific Palasades, it was a nice place, overlooking the ocean.
              The Other Rick

Comment

There are plenty of "manufactured homes" around here. Working on them can be nearly impossible. I've seen water lines run through the inside of heating ducts. It's amazing that these things sell for nearly the price of a new house. The actual cost of building can't be much more than half the cost of a stick-built house. Why would anyone buy something that deteriorates so badly? People say they can't afford a real house, but when things go wrong a real house is cheaper. Takes about five minutes from the time the curtains catch on fire for the entire heap to be reduced to a pile of ash.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                  Every time there's a bad storm and these trailers get blown all over the countryside because they are JUNK,

It's God's way of saying, "I hate you, provide a better life for you and family"

Kentucky is littered with them. If it ain't up on blocks like your truck....you ain't country!
                  You are such a compassionate guy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Comment

MOBILE HOMES ARE KOOL. Just ask the folks in La. Did George really blow the dams?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I work in N.E. Indiana which happens to hub for Trailer factories.

I work in many of these factories doing repairs.

These guys make good money. Making 50,000 your first year is not unreasonable for a guy with no skill and speed. When the arrive they are told how many "units" need produced. When they had produced the required units they get to go home with a full days pay. Most days they are off by 1:00.

They literally run, non stop, yelling, throwing nailer and ect. If you're not fast, you won't have a job. I have known several guys who take uppers just to keep up.

I would love to post a small video of these guys building a home. You guys would be shocked.

They usually can produce 7 homes in a day with all lines running.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Whats' an Ark. divorce, have in common with an Okie tornado?
                          Either one, You know someone's gonna loose a double wide
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I worked in a Boise Cascade home plant for a couple of years. They were geared to production, but it wasn't quite like trailer houses. The only difference between those and a lot of stick-built homes was that the ceilings were lower to get under traffic lights. Otherwise, they used real tile on the tubs, and for a while they were using cast iron tubs but then changed to steel. They used copper pipe and ABS.

They had their own inspectors going around all day long doing quality checks.

All the above-floor pipes were installed, and all the copper, including that under the floor. The rest of the vents and drainage were installed on site by plumbers from that area. When I worked there, I just had a journeyman's license and I was the only one in the plant who did. They brought in an old, blind plumbing contractor to sign permits and once in a while he'd actually look at the houses.

Speed was expected. The ones who had been there the longest recorded their quickest time on a particular plan and then everyone was expected to meet it.

I had to join a carpenter's union to work there, and made good money and benefits. Major medical and 1/2 dental.

Comment

Having been to a frozen pipe call on a trailer with PVC water pipes installed in the open under the structure, I decided no more of these things.
                              I informed him that though the lines were thawed, he could expect this again, and again...and again.

There for 3 hours after hours on a Friday night, scrambling around on my hands & knee's.
                              Handed the homeowner a bill and had to wonder if my bill wasn't more than the material cost of all that cheap crap.

Comment

i have 7 torpedo heaters that make a ton of money in the winter at mobile trailers---pipes frozen is usually in our schedule 6-8 times a week if temp is below 30---owners just want them thawed and fixed if broken because if i heat tape and insulate the bill is usually more than the homes value
                                if there is a break it is a disaster--they called me cuz the maintenance guy wont come over anymore cuz he has already used every type of pipe out there---i remember one trailer last jan.---in 8 feet, i found----
                                1.---pvc with male adapters, then
                                2. -- cpvc with fem. adapters,then
                                3. --- poly pipe with male adap., then
                                4 --- pex with fem adapters, then
                                5--- galvy nipple, then
                                6. - copper with sharkbite adapters-----
                                NO JOKE-----IF I DID THIS, ID EXPECT TO BE FIRED----ID SHOWED THE TRAILER RAT AND HE SAID, WHATS WRONG WITH THAT???-- IT WORKS, DONT IT???
                                I HATE TRAILERS---SINCE I TOOK OVER SERVICE DEPT--WE DONT WORK UNDER THEM ANYMORE --THEY USUALLY HAVE AN EXCUSE WHY THEY CANT PAY-----THEN YOU NEVER GET PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X