Mobile home plumbing codes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile home plumbing codes

Do they have their own? Why do they use different material than the local area? A trailer park I was doing volunteer work in used quest for water and abs for dwv(pvc is the majority here). Quest hasn't been used in this area since the 80's but the trailer I saw with it was about 5 years old. What gives?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Mobile home plumbing codes

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Do they have their own? Why do they use different material than the local area? A trailer park I was doing volunteer work in used quest for water and abs for dwv(pvc is the majority here). Quest hasn't been used in this area since the 80's but the trailer I saw with it was about 5 years old. What gives?
    In California they are regulated by a division of the Department of Motor Vehicles. We ran into the same thing when we use to set up portable classrooms at schools.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Same here. All mobile homes have abs drains with practically no pitch at all, and quest pipe everywhere.

Mobile home plumbing = PURE JUNK.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I plumbed a bunch of trailers that were to be used as temporary classrooms for the Chicago Public School system, the manufacturer shipped them with no plumbing and the plumbing walls finish panels uninstalled so that we could plumb them on site with cast iron and copper waste and vent and copper water pipe to meet Chicago code.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
          I plumbed a bunch of trailers that were to be used as temporary classrooms for the Chicago Public School system, the manufacturer shipped them with no plumbing and the plumbing walls finish panels uninstalled so that we could plumb them on site with cast iron and copper waste and vent and copper water pipe to meet Chicago code.
          I have NEVER seen that in a mobile home. Knowing how high-end your workmanship normally is KTS, I would bet they have some of the best trailer plumbing in the country.

Comment

Yes, they do have their own codes and they go something like this.

1 - Use the cheapest, crap money can buy
            2 - Have it installed by morons wacked out on dope.
            3 - Plastic sinks, tubs and faucets are preferred over any
            quality fixtures.
            4 - Vents can either be 1 1/2 through the roof or use an
            AEV, but not a good one. They prefer the non code
            compliant boca valves.
            5 - Water heaters can be installed in bedroom closets
            in a space that is too small for it.
            6 - 1 1/2" trap and stand pipe is fine for an ACW
            7 - Quality is never an issue, neither is workmanship.
            8 - The department of HUD regulates them so if you
            don't like it, tough titty.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
              These all had a single hand sink which were pre-plumbed so we only had to tie them in. Then two of the buildings were Science Labs so we had to do all of the added plumbing on them as well. However, instead of the normal building department coming out for inspection it was a guy from 90-miles away.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                These all had a single hand sink which were pre-plumbed so we only had to tie them in. Then two of the buildings were Science Labs so we had to do all of the added plumbing on them as well. However, instead of the normal building department coming out for inspection it was a guy from 90-miles away.

Mark
                It doesn't work that way in Chicago, the city is going to enforce their code, and they are also going to collect the inspection fee.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Yes, they do have their own codes and they go something like this.

1 - Use the cheapest, crap money can buy
                  2 - Have it installed by morons wacked out on dope.
                  3 - Plastic sinks, tubs and faucets are preferred over any
                  quality fixtures.
                  4 - Vents can either be 1 1/2 through the roof or use an
                  AEV, but not a good one. They prefer the non code
                  compliant boca valves.
                  5 - Water heaters can be installed in bedroom closets
                  in a space that is too small for it.
                  6 - 1 1/2" trap and stand pipe is fine for an ACW
                  7 - Quality is never an issue, neither is workmanship.
                  8 - The department of HUD regulates them so if you
                  don't like it, tough titty.

Comment

I have never seen a mobil home in person. Do people actually live year round in those things? Anyone have a picture of one....Im serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                      I have never seen a mobil home in person. Do people actually live year round in those things? Anyone have a picture of one....Im serious.
                      Unfortunately they are very common around here. On the plus side, few of them call me since they can't afford me. My niche is higher-end residential service.

Comment

They can be this bad...

But most are more like this:

Comment

I don't want to offend anyone who owns a mobile home. Some are actually pretty nice. It is true though that even in the nice ones, the plumbing is usually terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            Most Westchester munis don't have them, because they had minimum structure size codes that eliminated them. Cortlandt didn't have them as early, so it has three of them one on 9A, which I pass to go to work. If you ever go up Route 9 to Poughkeepsie there are lots of them.

Comment

What a coincidence you should ask this today. Just this morning I was telling Devine he could get into trailers since the plumbing code didn't apply. Yesterday I turned down a side job that an aquaintence wanted
                              to have me do, a trailer he bought. Nice park. Bad pipe. Yuk. Crawl around under those things in the winter trying to thaw drain pipes sometime, you find yourself wondering why why why don't codes apply?
                              Service Guy, I broke out with a good belly laugh when I saw that pic.
                              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                              X