X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pex Crimper

I am in need of new 1/2" & 3/4" pex crimper's. While doing some research I see Ridgid has a 5/8" crimper also. This is new to me. Any of you running 5/8" pex?

While I'm at it, what brand of crimper's do you prefer?
    Last edited by Tyman; 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Pex Crimper

The offset ones. The head on a 45. Dang, can't remember the brand.

J.C.

Comment

I know which one your talking about JC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
        I am in need of new 1/2" & 3/4" pex crimper's. While doing some research I see Ridgid has a 5/8" crimper also. This is new to me. Any of you running 5/8" pex?

While I'm at it, what brand of crimper's do you prefer?
        Why not look at watts. I use it for heating lines, but they also have water pipe as well. 1 size fits all.

http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/p...cinchclamp.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
          I know which one your talking about JC.
          CrimpMaker. They work great in close quarters. Don't have to make the "wide" spread of alot of brands handles that you always seem to end up hitting a wall, joist or something with.

If you do mostly repair, I'd seriously consider the ones that do everything with a stainless Oetiker type ring. If you do alot of new construction with them I wouldn't as the rings are more expensive and they add up over a year. (You know I'm cheap).

Decent amount of new construction with repair also on 1/2" and 3/4"-I'd get the CrimpMaker close quarters.

Mostly repair, I'd get the crimpsystem that does multiple sizes. One tool can do 3 or more sizes.

Some swear by the WIRSBO system. But that's another thread.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            The offset ones. The head on a 45. Dang, can't remember the brand.

J.C.
            3MIL

I personally prefer the watts cinchclamp system. 1 $50 tool that does 4 sizes can't be beat.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What I am looking for is the ability to get into tight spaces easily since I do service.

That Watts system looks great! I didn't even think about that because I thought it was specific to their products. But if it works on Pex I'm all for it.

Comment

Check ebay
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Do the Watts' have to be opened fully to engage the ring?

If not that would be great. If so, I find it not to be that good having to extend the tool out to 16"-20" to make a crimp.

Depends on what you want/need. I like the Cinchclamp system fine. The 3MIL CrimpMaker works better for me. Can get into tight places without having to pull the pipe out, make the crimp, then fasten. Reach into the tight spot and crimp.

J.C.

Comment

yes but you get better crimps because you have a 360 deg view of the band. I do see your point however about the long handles
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If not that would be great. If so, I find it not to be that good having to extend the tool out to 16"-20" to make a crimp.

Depends on what you want/need. I like the Cinchclamp system fine. The 3MIL CrimpMaker works better for me. Can get into tight places without having to pull the pipe out, make the crimp, then fasten. Reach into the tight spot and crimp.

J.C.

All I have is the long-handled combo 1/2" and 3/4" crimper, and a long-handled 1" crimper. Never come across a fitting I could not crimp, but they do make you plan ahead a little bit.
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

The thread a few months back about cinch vs crimp convinced me to by a cinch tool, even though I have crimp on my truck and our shop does crimp. At the time I had to do a 3/8" pex line on a cooling unit. I like the cinch, but have since come accross a couple houses that were done with the cinch rings by another company, and we're replacing many leaky joints
                        a year in. I did three in one visit, all in one area. Not so sure what to think about them now.
                        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I have them all, Watts, Viega, and 3/8 1/2 and 3/4 ring crimpers. But for tight spaces Wirsbo is the way to go because you can expand the pipe outside the area and make it up in a tight space. I use miles of 5/8 wirsbo for heat piping both radiant and baseboard.
                          sigpic

Comment

If you only get one choice I would go with the Oataker Cinch for 1/2 and 3/4 (the tool I have has 9 inch handles and works great in close quarters), I once had a 1" cinch fail for no reason that I could find so I refuse to cinch 1" and will crimp everytime

I also have a multi-head tool (1/2"-1") that works great but has 16" handles that will not work in as many places, The tool is a PexCaliber Brand.

For me it has come down to having a variety of tools available to fit the situation starting with the most versatile than going into the slightly more specialized...

Bill

Comment

I have the long-handled 1/2" 3/4" 3/8" and 1" crimpers, but I also have a tight-spot 1/2" crimper that I got, I think, from Vanguard. It looks like this except for different-colored handles:

It gets into pretty tight places.

Comment

Working...
                              X