Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copper getting thinner?

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I used to program/operate a slant 12...combo machining & lathing NC machine with bar feed.
    At the time it was worth about 1/2 mil.
    Whatever ya do...DON'T smack anything with the turret while messing with that bad larry...

What the hell are you guys talking about

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      What the hell are you guys talking about
      Please tell me you have a slant 12 in your plumbing arsenal, no plumber in his right mind works without one.

Comment

Please tell me you have a slant 12 in your plumbing arsenal, no plumber in his right mind works without one.

Of course I have one, I keep it right next to the left handed wrench, on top of the bucket of blue steam below the skyhooks to the right of the bubble fill for my levels.

But seriously I dont have a slant 12 especially that it costs 1/2 mil. I have laid miles of slant-fin though.
        Last edited by Masterplumb; 08-03-2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

....are there any regs on purity?
          Yes, ASTM B-88 covers copper tube IIRC. Thought I had a copy here at home but didn't find it. Have it at work though.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

I may be wrong, but when you over heat copper and it becomes annealed and something draws out of the metal, which is why it gets softer.
            I'm guessing that whatever it is, it only accounts for 1/10th of a percent of the makeup by your figure.
            Or ....I need to learn more about what actually happens in the annealing process.
            Nothing is taken from the metal, only the molecules are rearranged such that they are not in such a rigid configuration which is what makes it "hard".
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Nothing is taken from the metal, only the molecules are rearranged such that they are not in such a rigid configuration which is what makes it "hard".
              Bob, I'd like to thank you for being the very first person to give me an answer that makes sense.

Kinda like the process for galvanizing, slowly cooled to allow partial crystalizing (molecular organizing)...makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                Of course I have one, I keep it right next to the left handed wrench, on top of the bucket of blue steam below the skyhooks to the right of the bubble fill for my levels.

But seriously I dont have a slant 12 especially that it costs 1/2 mil. I have laid miles of slant-fin though.
                It's a commercial, computerized lathe, beast of a machine with a computer monitor to adjust offsets, modify programs and do manual or "midi" programming for small tasks.

Interesting stuff, everything is done in numbers down to ten thousands of an inch on X, Y and Z axis's.

Back when I was a machinist, I was so accustomed to thinking mathematically I could figure out the weeks grocery bill to the penny by adding each item as we picked them off the shelf at the supermarket.

Comment

Bob, I'd like to thank you for being the very first person to give me an answer that makes sense.

Kinda like the process for galvanizing, slowly cooled to allow partial crystalizing (molecular organizing)...makes perfect sense.
                  Duck
                  If you really want to bone up on all the challenges that copper faces, try CDA's site: http://www.copper.org/
                  Goggling corrosion/erosion will also lead to a wealth of info.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                    Duck
                    If you really want to bone up on all the challenges that copper faces, try CDA's site: http://www.copper.org/
                    Goggling corrosion/erosion will also lead to a wealth of info.
                    It's been in my favorites for years...very informative site.
                    What I question though in some circumstances, is the fact that is a mfg funded organization.
                    Some facts could be distorted in certain cases. (jaded over tobacco industry and pharmaceuticals here)

Comment

Working...
                    X