Copper getting thinner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper getting thinner?

Changed out a 21 year old AO smith WH yesterday. I noticed the type L that I pulled out was visibly thicker than the type L that I reinstalled. Has anyone else seen this decline?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Copper getting thinner?

Yes

Comment

Yes. Mentioned it to the supplier. They said they don't doubt it but what do you do. Glad you mentioned it....thought I might be losing it.

J.C.

Comment

Well, my hairs getting thinner. My wallets getting thinner. Why not copper? Hell it's on the way out anyway. Pexify the world, wrap it in plastic
        sigpic

Comment

I hate pex

Comment

Sorry but you guys are just imagining the difference in wall thickness. The letter designation is based on an ASTM Standard which lists the thickness. If the tubing is a different thickness it would have to use a letter other than those already assigned.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

so that means that K copper is now L
              L copper is now M
              M copper is now DWV
              and DWV does not exist
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

copper tubing, i don't have an issue with.

it's the fittings that are short radius and thinner.

another good reason to go propress.

long radius 90's and type k fittings.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I thought so too Mark so I weighed a 12" section of the new and old pipe. Old pipe 6 3/4 oz. New pipe 6 1/2 oz. I think we're going the way of the lumber industry.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    I thought so too Mark so I weighed a 12" section of the new and old pipe. Old pipe 6 3/4 oz. New pipe 6 1/2 oz. I think we're going the way of the lumber industry.
                    If that is true then the piece of tubing you just installed is illegal. The ASTM Standard has a slight +/- but if every piece you install is too thin you have a bad batch of pipe which should have never made it to the supply house.

Mark

Comment

Just walked to the truck because you got me thinking. I got 5 sticks from ferguson's yesterday and I used 1 stick. I checked the 12" cutoff from the original compared to the other 4 remaining sticks and they all had the same thickness. It wouldn't suprise me if fergusons sold the cheap stuff now.

Question Mark. If a plumber installed type L pipe as per prints but it failed prematurely, and it was found not to actually be type L thickness, but was labeled as type L, who is at fault?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The manufacturer, the distributor, the supply house, the plumber and the builder could all be held responsible.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Sorry but you guys are just imagining the difference in wall thickness. The letter designation is based on an ASTM Standard which lists the thickness. If the tubing is a different thickness it would have to use a letter other than those already assigned.

Mark
                          Not imagination. Who enforces the ASTM Standard in manufacturing facilities? Unless someone is calipering/weighing etc. right on the line and there independent of the company, you can trust that they will start to shave material.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            ben, when you said "old" did you mean unused old stock?

can you possibly weigh a full 20' / 10' section of old stock. and new stock.

make sure that you stand it vertical and support it to keep it from falling over. not to take the weight off.

do you have access to a certified scale like used in a market?

i guess we could always do like the fishing boats.

ben, i need you to make a balance beam and suspend both sections from an equally spaced balance beam. do you have a 18' a frame ladder

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

M seems the same. Don't work with K enough to honestly recognize change. But L appears to be thinner/lighter.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X