X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder why?

How come homeowners seem more than willing to tear into their plumbing, but rarely do you see them messing with the electrical?
    sigpic

Re: I wonder why?

I think they assume it's safer and can be controlled easier. Plus, alot of us have been accidentally shocked at some point but haven't had a similar unpleasant experience with water.

Add that to the fact that HGTV and TIME LIFE books came along and you end up with alot of ducttape, flexible connectors in strange places, and sharkbites.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I think they assume it's safer and can be controlled easier. Plus, alot of us have been accidentally shocked at some point but haven't had a similar unpleasant experience with water.

J.C.
      well maybe they should be pooped on more
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The bite is quick

Comment

Mess up in plumbing, things get wet but it can take a while. Electricity hits you before you know what happened. You can dry things off but you can't put them together from ashes.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Mess up in plumbing, things get wet but it can take a while. Electricity hits you before you know what happened. You can dry things off but you can't put them together from ashes.
            True that, but I see my share of gas DIY's too.
            Though I have to admit, I don't think I see any more on electric than plumbing.

Comment

For one thing this is basically a plumbing board, and a wood tools board.

and so you see plumbing and wood working,

If Ridgid was more in to electrical tools you would probly see more questions on electricity,

And in similar to the above statement you can see water, you can"t see electricity, (normally).
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                For one thing this is basically a plumbing board, and a wood tools board.

and so you see plumbing and wood working,

If Ridgid was more in to electrical tools you would probly see more questions on electricity,

And in similar to the above statement you can see water, you can"t see electricity, (normally).
                I actually find the question somewhat counterintuitive, because at least the people I know are more intimated by plumbing than electricity (myself included). Two things that come to mind are that electricity is very clean compared to plumbing; and you can do a reasonable amount of electrical work with a slotted screwdriver and a wire stripper. Most people are more comfortable with those than a blow torch.

Comment

there is a much larger need for plumbing repairs than electrical repairs.

think about it for a minute.

what typically breaks or fails more? plumbing or electrical?

plumbing

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                    and you can do a reasonable amount of electrical work with a slotted screwdriver and a wire stripper. Most people are more comfortable with those than a blow torch.
                    So what your saying here is, an Electrician doesn't need much for tools, most materials/products are made to accommodate a slotted screwdriver and a wire stripper. Man if my brother were to read this, he'd be hounding you for a year on everything you had to say.... But I do understand what your saying....

Now back in my plumbing days, it was a daily use of a blowtorch. All the Plumbers I watch these days, well I guess you could say, the torch sits in their bucket or truck.

So now that Plumbing products are moving away from being to dang difficult to install, I would tend to think that they (Manufacturers) are taking the H.O.s into consideration as the installers....

Special tools for the trades is what slows down the H.O.s, mechanics get those special tools all the time. Crimpers used to be hundreds of dollars, am I correct? Now they have dropped in pricing the last 2 years or so, and making it more affordable for a H.O. to buy one and start doing their own Pex work.
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

For those outside the plumbing field, we don't call them 'Blowtorches'

Comment

I was waiting for U to ask about that, friend. BECAUSE
                        " THEY AIN'T FASTER THAN ELECTRICTY , We wire fer fire " But You can't imagine what I
                        find . We just finished a 3 week rot job In 2 places when we opened up walls, there was 2 splice add ons with No elec box in wall
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I often see hacked-up wiring. The main cause of house fires is bad wiring, according to the EMTs.

Not long ago, and I may have mentioned this elsewhere, I was doing some drilling with my Timber Wolf and when I brushed the bit against a pipe it blew the breakers. The plug was wired backwards. (the drill still ran!) The outlet was halfway up the basement wall and it was pretty obviously all done by a hack. Lots of that here.

Comment

i have no problem with homeowners TRYING TO DO plumbing work--this usually--wait,almost always ends up with me ripping it all out and making a nice pocket full of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                            KEEP UP THE BAD WORK, HOMEOWNERS---i dont have any problem taking your $$ and getting a good story to post here

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              For those outside the plumbing field, we don't call them 'Blowtorches'
                              Thanks. You taught me something tonight I learned to solder in jewelry class in college with a blow torch I can solder a nice, clean joint with that oxy-acyteline tank
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X