X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Other Forum gives me the Boot

Originally posted by Terry Love View Post
    No, you guys have a good thing going here.

Someone pointed out to me that Steve is a nice guy, so, there you go.

One thing that happens when you run a board, is dealing with sign in's from places like China. They got these robots that just keep dinging you every day, and sometimes it just friggin gets to you.
    So sometimes the trigger finger gets a little too quck.
    It's like a car that knows how to bring you home at the end of the day, except sometimes you may want to go somewhere after work, and the car keeps parking in your driveway.
    Then add some security to your website, bots aren't that tough to keep out.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
      Then add some security to your website, bots aren't that tough to keep out.
      That's unfair. There are spammers here too.

Comment

Beat to death. Dead thread.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Love View Post

I think traffic has been the same. I normally bump over 4,000 by afternoon.

Good to meet you Josh.
          I like all the programming this site has.

During the last week of the Bachelorette I was topping over 6,000
          A lot of it to see my son's music video.

He's in the studio now recording a theme song for a reality show.
          Do tell me he still plans to stick with the band though...pretty cool stuff.

I dunno if you plan to stick around, but you'd be a pretty big asset on the business section.
          Your web site is an absolutely ingenious marketing idea...even considered some kinda MB myself, but, well...I'd be too busy b-tching at the members for DIY'ing.

I'd have to delete myself.

Comment

Thanks partly to Ducky, Terry and I have made peace with each other and as usual I think it wass all another one of those internet mis-understandings. Anyway, I hope everyone has chilled a bit and is ready to get back to more imprtant things, which for me right now is my daughter and the rest of you'se guys talking plumbing and politics
            sigpic

Comment

Brings a tear to my eye. Everyone is friends again. Terry's site may be competition for our forum but from what I have heard he is a cool guy.

And yes it is a constant battle that people often dont realize is happening with the spammers. Every once in a while one will get through our defenses here. Overall we squish em almost instantly though.

Josh
              Last edited by Josh; 08-06-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                Brings a tear to my eye. Everyone is friends again. Terry's site may be competition for our forum but from what I have heard he is a cool guy.

And yes it is a constant battle that people often dont realize is happening with the spammers. Every once in a while one will get through our defenses here. Overall we squish em almost instantly though.

Josh
                Sorry but I ain't feeling the Love.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Terry, You did the right thing. Thanks' Tool
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Throwing the BS flag here. Talk all big on your site and then come all respectful on here? Bad form imo. Here's some examples:

-And isn't somewhat the same point Steve was making.
                    He said he didn't want to help DIY's.

And he shouldn't . Not everyone can.

Nobody here wants to pry information out of people. You guys are not so amazing that the world quits spinning without you.
                    As big as your heads are, they are not big enough to slow down the earths spin.We have plenty of guys on this forum that know how to teach.
                    And plenty of experience.
                    Grumpy, I don't know who the hell you think I am, but you are seriously underestimating me.
                    And Steve would just be another plumber if he was on one of my crews.

-You got that kind of backwards, Grumpy, you were the jerk, remember? You were pulling a Steve.
                    I had to PM you and tell you that we don't treat people that badly.
                    Boy, it has been a long time. You have gone over to the dark side.

Steve may be very smart, it's hard to tell by his posts.
                    All he said was that DIY shouldn't ask, and we shouldn't tell.
                    I don't think he was ever insulted here.
                    I don't know why you keep insisting that.
                    What is your relationship with this guy?
                    He's just another plumber. I don't care how many merit badges he has gotten over the years. It still doesn't measure up. It's nice that he's a boy scout, we are too.
                    He doesn't come over here, and tell us what to print, or say.
                    He has his board, and he should stick to it.

He did suggest that people on this board wouldn't measure up to his years of experience.
                    To which I say, when he gets to be my age, we can talk about it.
                    I did get a good chuckle out of the whole thing.

here's my favorite:
                    -Yeah, normally it isn't like that here.
                    It's like a story I tell my 16 YO

Every Summer we would head three blocks down to the beach for the day. Went home for dinner, and back for more swimming at night.

We practiced snapping laurel leaves off the bush with our towels.
                    The we would take turns holding a leaf while the other guy snapped it in two. We could get it to eight pieces eventually. We would take the half, and hold it for the other person to "snap" it with. Pretty soon, there was only an inch to hit.

One day some kids came down with towels to "take over" the beach.
                    They figured the eight of them would "dominate". They were that cool with towels.

We sent them back home with red welts all over their bodies.
                    We couldn't' believe anybody would try something so stupid.
                    It was just another day at the park, only this time it wasn't leaves.

If the plumbers from the "other" sites are confused about the way things are done here, and want to come in and stir up the locals with their towels, they may want to reconsider.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22448 check it out for yourself but do it quick before posts get deleted so people won't appear in a negative light. I always thought Terry was one to take the high road but this thread really showed some true colors.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks. Didn't even bother to grace the area with my presence. I trusted the peoples' opinion I respect here.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Josh
                        I wouldn't bet there's any competition or conflict...completely different demograph there.
                        Terry is a great guy, despite the fact that he and I are probably as opposite as you can get on the semantics of DIY.
                        Which is why I was so surprised at his banning NH in the first place.
                        I couldn't imagine running a forum, the stress at times just has to be overwhelming.

Comment

I don't think I have to give a strong argument to anyone here when I say I strongly dislike DIY info being tossed out online.

I have developed somewhat of a "grumpy" reputation on his site, relentless hours of almost pointless debates with half his regulars on why it might not be a good idea to walk someone through a boiler installation online.

Personally I find the rationalizations on that site to be rediculous, things like "I had a plumber that had a leak after he left, so DIY's are better than pro's".

I don't dislike Terry at all, I have spoken with him on the phone, he's too nice if anything...maybe even to a fault.

I DO think he was wrong, ESPECIALLY when he posted NH's letter in the open on an internet forum, but...he did come here and offer an apology.

That took guts, and some humility.
                          I won't knock him for that, in fact, I find that very respectable.

I will hold stead fast & disagree with his forums purpose...I do it openly on his own forum, which I figure earns him some credit for patience.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            I will hold stead fast & disagree with his forums purpose...I do it openly on his own forum
                            For a guy that is sooooooo anti DIY, why post on a forum dedicated to DIY?
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              For a guy that is sooooooo anti DIY, why post on a forum dedicated to DIY?
                              You obviously don't know Mark very well. He thrives on intense argument to an extreme. I have talked to him on the phone and he's pretty serious when it comes to his passionate hate of the DIY home-cheapo mentality.
                              I have never even been to that site, but I can see why Mark likes to argue there sometimes.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                                You obviously don't know Mark very well. He thrives on intense argument to an extreme. I have talked to him on the phone and he's pretty serious when it comes to his passionate hate of the DIY home-cheapo mentality.
                                I have never even been to that site, but I can see why Mark likes to argue there sometimes.
                                I do know this about him. We chat lots. My point is simply that if someone was so innately against something than why go swarm in the middle of it. A forums basis is not gonna change for 1 person. Otherwise this would be the Tieger Sylvan Forum

I think Mark knows me well enough that he will engage me in this conversation and not take offense to it.
                                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                                X