X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Other Forum gives me the Boot

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    Though I do have a whole pipe of Canada jokes and insults that are sadly not going to good use
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

I have to agree, Josh gets a LOAD of credit for being so even tempered and open minded...HOWEVER...
      We cannot forget Mark in all this.
      I can attest first hand to the patience that man has.
      A thanks to both, from me.

Comment

My irritation comes not from the average guy that want's to change out a faucet or fix his toilet. I consider these things that anyone can and should do. But when you get into plumbing the entire waste, vent and water supply system, this is a job left to the professionals. In fact there are a few states that will not allow an unlicensed plumber to do it even if he does own the house. The guys that post entire piping diagrams, fully expecting a professional to thrash out his design and some even go so far as to provide a material list are the ones that aggravate me.
        We all work for a living and expect to get paid. And consider that the second you call your lawyer and he picks up the phone, he starts charging by the minute.

And while I'm at it I want to thank Josh for understanding the frustrations that we have and pretty much allowing us to police ourselves without anything more than the occasional word. Hell, I got prodded last night and glad I did, on another thread because If not I would most likely have said a whole lot of derogatory things about Tinmack and Canada without giving thought first. Though I do have a whole pipe of Canada jokes and insults that are sadly not going to good use
        Oh, I can think of one right off the top of my head....

Comment

I think it was Mark that prodded us last night on the other thread, though there's no way I'm going to go back through it all to see. Anyhoooo Thanks Mark.
          sigpic

Comment

My only question is:
            Why participate in a forum like that in the first place?
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'm just gonna go ahead and ask.... Where is this site???

--I would like to go and impart some wisdom

Bill

Comment

I thought I made that clear in another thread.

It's My Elephant sized EGO
                sigpic

Comment

The guys that post entire piping diagrams, fully expecting a professional to thrash out his design and some even go so far as to provide a material list are the ones that aggravate me.
                  We all work for a living and expect to get paid. And consider that the second you call your lawyer and he picks up the phone, he starts charging by the minute.
                  The internet & DIY mentality has made its way into all segments of American life - Accountants lose business to Turbotax - attorney's lose business to paralegals and self help web sites - bookkeepers lose jobs to accounting programs - mom & pop stores lose business to on-line stores and Wal Mart - Furgeson lost my purchase of two K-60's & two K39s to Toolup.com, etc... The DIY / internet movement is larger than any of us and IMHO, there is no point in fighting it.

I wise man once reminded me that it is important not to waste energy on battles that can't be won, but rather spend your energy on those battles that can be won, i. e. the other 60-80% of current and potential customers that do not DIY. If we treat those people right, there is plenty of pie for everybody.

I think the key to preserving the trades is education. Not just education about our craft, but also education about how to run a business and how to effectively treat people. Most of us were put on this world to build and fix things, so hitting the books wasn't real high on our priority list way back when. Consequently, the industry as a whole doesn't know how to make itself indispensable to the customer, which makes many of us an easy target for the do it yourselfer.

In any case, I strongly believe that a trades person can protect him/herself from the DIY/internet movement by spoiling the customer with customer service that is not easily ignored. After all, people are lazy by nature and most of them, if given the opportunity, will take the path of least resistance... the plumber with exceptional customer service.
                  spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    Oh, I can think of one right off the top of my head....
                    I can too....Hmmm

Comment

I see I can learn alot from you about business. Good analysis.

J.C.

Comment

I don't know what site your talking about but it seems like you're not loosing much. It's hard to imagine that your statement was grounds for any kind of reprimand. Forget them!
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                          The internet & DIY mentality has made its way into all segments of American life - Accountants lose business to Turbotax - attorney's lose business to paralegals and self help web sites - bookkeepers lose jobs to accounting programs - mom & pop stores lose business to on-line stores and Wal Mart - Furgeson lost my purchase of two K-60's & two K39s to Toolup.com, etc... The DIY / internet movement is larger than any of us and IMHO, there is no point in fighting it.

I wise man once reminded me that it is important not to waste energy on battles that can't be won, but rather spend your energy on those battles that can be won, i. e. the other 60-80% of current and potential customers that do not DIY. If we treat those people right, there is plenty of pie for everybody.

I think the key to preserving the trades is education. Not just education about our craft, but also education about how to run a business and how to effectively treat people. Most of us were put on this world to build and fix things, so hitting the books wasn't real high on our priority list way back when. Consequently, the industry as a whole doesn't know how to make itself indispensable to the customer, which makes many of us an easy target for the do it yourselfer.

In any case, I strongly believe that a trades person can protect him/herself from the DIY/internet movement by spoiling the customer with customer service that is not easily ignored. After all, people are lazy by nature and most of them, if given the opportunity, will take the path of least resistance... the plumber with exceptional customer service.
                          I can see your point....interesting how the internet is creating a shift in commerce, good for some things, bad for others.
                          I cannot fight it if my ad budget grows and grows as homeowners and handymen reap havoc on our trade.

One thing has popped into mind, knowingly offering free advice to someone who is doing something illegal...

Lets say Harry homeowner burns his house down, kills his family with co poisoning, or has to have extensive work done from water damage.
                          His lawyer tells him he was not advised that doing the work was illegal, or the professional that informed him on how to do the work should not have done so in the first place....I think that will be interesting.

Sounds rediculous, until you think of the woman that sued McDonalds for spilling her own coffee on her own lap because McDonalds brewed it too hot.

Comment

Amen to the Mark part. I respect Mark more every day. He is a huge part of keeping the forum as good as it is.

Thanks Mark!!!

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            I have to agree, Josh gets a LOAD of credit for being so even tempered and open minded...HOWEVER...
                            We cannot forget Mark in all this.
                            I can attest first hand to the patience that man has.
                            A thanks to both, from me.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              i say we send dumbar over there

I'm a member over there. I haven't posted much lately as I'm having difficulties these days answering plumbing questions without pay. I'll randomly do it but when I was sitting in this office for the first 16 months hammering away answers to everyone's plumbing problems, correcting people's misspellings and even go as far as helping people who don't know me from adam by email?

I got nothing. Not even a cookie. The work I would pull from one site in particular was horrible. Ask me 300 questions before I do a 2 question job.

I was demodded from DIY.com......couldn't tell you when because I hadn't been there in months. I can see why they would remove me as 36 posts in 3 years doesn't really show that I want that position. They had a good group of staff years ago and it's never been the same since. So I floated till they gave up thinking I'm there for their functionality.

I answered 4 posts this week on that site, came back a day later and the forum I posted in only gained 2 new posts above my responses so something obviously went wrong there while I've been absent. I've left quite a few sites as I'm just past that, it's time to move on when you've done all you can and it's bothersome to go back.......knowing you've put so much time into something without any pay whatsoever.

No perks, just a status icon. It's not important anymore. Ricki Lake put on weight and is sitting on top of me right now threatening me to write all this, otherwise she's going to bounce and break my hips if I don't.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I won't say the site,but here are the initials TERRY LOVE. I don't go there any more .
                                Advice was and is given to folks that will just cause a disaster for them or some poor soul that buys the house later. I can't believe info on gas work is given out to homeowners.
                                You know by the questions , they don't have a clue. You're a good Man Master ,and add a lot to this forum ,their loss. Tool
                                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                                X