X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Forum gives me the Boot

So I’m over on that “Other Site” on this thread, which I have not included all of but here is the part that got my posting privileges taken away. Apparently all they want over there is for Us licensed professionals to give our advice and blessings to every hack homeowner in the world for free. Our years of experience, training and license mean nothing to these LEECHING TICKS as long as they can save a buck or two.

Bold font is the HO regular is me

hey guys, thanks again for some feedback. i knew the graphics would be a bit much after i posted it all. i really wanted to hire a pro for getting all this done, but unfortunately nobody cared to give me an honest price. ive been in the remodel biz for a while so i know what this work entails and i couldnt justify paying close to 10k for a job which a couple guys will knock out in 3 days and cost less than 2k for material and permits. so i pulled the permit and am working with the inspector now. this site is great and theres a few guys on here who pull a lot of weight for the rest of us. so thanks.
    tyler

I know that when I need by-pass surgery the price seemed way out of line so I had my brother in law do it for me. Worked out ok I think.

haha i knew thatd get some flak. im not diminishing the trade whatsoever, but if ya aint got the money, and you can do it yourself and have some fun...then why not? some diy'ers are half assed...some are perfectionists...never assume the capabilities of others. but your right, id never have my brother give me surgery. good point, but this is a little different than that.

And at this point it’s the old boot er rooo for the man with the license

And down the road I went "George Thourogood"
    sigpic

Re: Other Forum gives me the Boot

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    So I’m over on that “Other Site” on this thread, which I have not included all of but here is the part that got my posting privileges taken away. Apparently all they want over there is for Us licensed professionals to give our advice and blessings to every hack homeowner in the world for free. Our years of experience, training and license mean nothing to these LEECHING TICKS as long as they can save a buck or two.

Bold font is the HO regular is me

hey guys, thanks again for some feedback. i knew the graphics would be a bit much after i posted it all. i really wanted to hire a pro for getting all this done, but unfortunately nobody cared to give me an honest price. ive been in the remodel biz for a while so i know what this work entails and i couldnt justify paying close to 10k for a job which a couple guys will knock out in 3 days and cost less than 2k for material and permits. so i pulled the permit and am working with the inspector now. this site is great and theres a few guys on here who pull a lot of weight for the rest of us. so thanks.
    tyler

I know that when I need by-pass surgery the price seemed way out of line so I had my brother in law do it for me. Worked out ok I think.

haha i knew thatd get some flak. im not diminishing the trade whatsoever, but if ya aint got the money, and you can do it yourself and have some fun...then why not? some diy'ers are half assed...some are perfectionists...never assume the capabilities of others. but your right, id never have my brother give me surgery. good point, but this is a little different than that.

And at this point it’s the old boot er rooo for the man with the license

And down the road I went "George Thourogood"
    Hey NHM, Ive been booted from a site or two. They said it had something to do with being too opinionated

Comment

LOL you got booted for that comment?...sheesh

Comment

but unfortunately nobody cared to give me an honest price.
        I hate that. What exactly is the definiton of an 'honest price'? Apparently its a price so low that nobody in town could meet his standards, so he uses that as justification to DIY. I am just glad that ONLY licensed plumbers can pull plumbing permits, licensed HVAC can pull HVAC permits, etc, etc. in NC.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I don't know. It just strikes me as kinda funny that that forum depends on real plumbers to make the whole thing work but if we aren't willing to kiss the home owners *** we get the boot. This whole diy crap has gotten way way out of hand. It's getting to the point that having a license is a joke. What's the point. so I have to play by the rules and jump through hoops but any hack home owner can do whatever he damn well pleases? I have news for them. Even though you hold the mortgage it doesn't mean ye have the right to hack up the mechanicals. When you do hack work and bury it in the walls or ceilings and then sell the house in a few years who inherits your crap work? The new owner, that's who. Plumbers Protect the Health of the Nation. Proper plumbing has all but eliminated the spread of many diseases and yet Joe Home owner can ignore all that and Hack hack away.
          sigpic

Comment

At first I disagreed with Josh and his relatively high tolerance level in this forum, but after a while you learn the value in free speech. Sometimes it isn't fun, but it pays to "really" see another person's viewpoint.

I don't know how a guy works more than one forum anyway, it's all I can do to stay up with this one!
            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Man, that was mild. Plumbdog, RIP, would have turned that guy into a stain. Good for you for saying what you believe. And it gives me the opportunity to agree with you too. Pretty enjoyable!!

Eli
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

NHMaster3015

Don't let it get to you. You don't want or need to be on there.

Comment

It's their loss. I left that forum myself when I posted a thread asking about some of the experience of some of the senior members as they were giving out bad advice. A couple guys answered me and then my thread was deleted. I guess Terry didn't want his members to be seen in a negative light. That's why I like this forum, it doesn't try to censor us and we can speak freely.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

NH. What BS. I really like helping others and don't mind helping a HO tweak the small stuff safely. But some of these SOB's want you to draw it out for them, tell them what to buy, explain plumbing theory to them, etc. while cutting out our local brothers.

At one time I thought that maybe the Ask section should be removed to keep out the leeches. But after thinking about it the section brings about some of the best conversation and debate between the pros & can really get the pros involved as much as any HO.

I tried another Pros site for awhile and it was just dead. People just sitting there agreeing or not posting anything.

Your post was nothing troublesome at all and just shows the weakness of the other site in my opinion.

Lucky the person wasn't standing beside some of us. I myself have been known to not have the best language on jobs.

F'em.

J.C.

Comment

I used to frequent that forum, until one day a landlord offers advice on how plumbers are starving for work in FLA and NOW is the time to get the to work on the cheap because one of his tennants is a plumber and had been paying rent late in recent months.

The very same landlord had gotten a plethora of free plumbing info from the same plumbers he was trying to screw.

As for my thoughts on free advice online, I have completely made myself clear...repeatedly.

Those of you who have established a business over the years are lucky to not have to deal with the constant calls like "Oh, thats more money than I want to pay...I'll just do it myself, thank you.".

I see "helpful" fella's offering really handy advice online and wonder how many plumbers already went to that homeowners house on their time & gas money to offer free estimates.

It blows my mind when I see the reactions of posters NON DIY forums as they get shott down...they're usually disgruntled, often reacting as if it's owed to them.
                      This is the result of conditioning...online is where you get anything you want either cheap, or altogether free.

I no longer care how selfish I might seem, nor whether I win any "popularity contests"...I cannot stand by and witness the death of my trade as some really swell fellla a thousand miles away walks harry handyman through doing the job I quoted for half the price I bid it on to cover my legitimate overhead.

Oh wait...but Harry says he's a low income homeowner...he's gotta be honest, this is the internet, where everyone is honest.
                      The fact that Harry has a pc with internet is just a sign of how charitable the world is...it was donated to him because he couldn't afford it.

Plumdog, I think of you often sir...miss ya man.
                      Last edited by DuckButter; 08-02-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Duckbutter for president.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

i say we send dumbar over there
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

So are you telling me that little statement about your bro doing your surgery is what got you the boot? My first thought was...never mind,
                            wouldn't want to get someone else booted. I've seen some pretty brash
                            statements over there about freebie advice. Much worse than that.

Never had a problem with helping out, until it gets to a point where the pro should be doing the work. Mr. fixit can find his expansion noises, but replacing the expansion tank on that boiler should be done by someone who knows what they're doing.
                            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

My irritation comes not from the average guy that want's to change out a faucet or fix his toilet. I consider these things that anyone can and should do. But when you get into plumbing the entire waste, vent and water supply system, this is a job left to the professionals. In fact there are a few states that will not allow an unlicensed plumber to do it even if he does own the house. The guys that post entire piping diagrams, fully expecting a professional to thrash out his design and some even go so far as to provide a material list are the ones that aggravate me.
                              We all work for a living and expect to get paid. And consider that the second you call your lawyer and he picks up the phone, he starts charging by the minute.

And while I'm at it I want to thank Josh for understanding the frustrations that we have and pretty much allowing us to police ourselves without anything more than the occasional word. Hell, I got prodded last night and glad I did, on another thread because If not I would most likely have said a whole lot of derogatory things about Tinmack and Canada without giving thought first. Though I do have a whole pipe of Canada jokes and insults that are sadly not going to good use
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X