Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is important

Who are we?

Well a good deal on this part of the forum are mostly licensed plumbers but I'm sure some no pro's read here also and that's great.
    We don't take any kind of oath to uphold public trust or safety. No hand on the bible. No swearing to god. We answer only to ourselves and the public we serve. We have had a motto for about a hundred years now. Plumbers Protect the Health of the Nation. It's a good motto, short and to the point. It doesn't say we give the public a good deal or great service. It doesn't say we give the public quality products or free advice either. It just says we protect their health. In my opinion, giving certain plumbing advice to people that do not have the schooling, license or experiance to to the job correctly and thouroughly is irresponsible as best and dangerous at worst. So who decides the level of experiance and knowledge? In our state the Plumbers Board does. If you are qualified, you get a license. A man who judges himself is always qualified in his own mind. I want all of you to really think about the dilemma next time a homeowner wants to know how to pipe the water or dwv for his new addition or bath remodel. Is this guy going to follow the code? Will the piping be properly supported and protected. Will he know how to recognize a potential cross connection or backflow situation that could effect the entire neighborhood? Does he really know enough about proper trhreading and assembly procedures as well as testing of gas piping? Worse and most likley of all, will he pull a permit and have the job inspected. Pleas do not assume that he will just because he assured you that he would on the forum. I don't know about you, but if I spend several days replying to him and advising and fine tuning and then he screwed it up and blew the house and his family up in the process I would feel somewhat responsible.

Since Mr Love has decided to post my E mail and name on his site because I had the audacity to question his readers abilities, I can only say that I hope to god that his readers and contributors take steps to protect themselves from either a tragic accident or liability. I've said it before and I'll say it again. As plumbers we must be very carefull to protect the health of the nation and not just the health of our wallets.

This is for Mr. Love; Terry, I hold no animosity twards you or your forum. We have deep differences in opinion and I doubt that will change. Posting my mail and name is not a problem. I, unlike you will gladly answer any and all that wish for a reply. I hope you will do the same, but experiance tell me that is not likley.
    sigpic

Re: This is important

He posted your name and email without permission or was it included in your public profile contact info? Even if was that goes a bit beyond being rude, especially if you have been banned from responding.

What a power-tripper! I cannot imagine Josh allowing that kind of thing (the posting of someones personal info after they have been banned) let alone doing it himself. Talk about unprofessional!

If you violated a term of use, and they can make those whatever they want, then they have every right to ban you. I belong to a few forums where certain discussions are banned, starting multiple threads on the same topic repeatedly will get you the boot and even asking questions that could have been answered by a forum search. I have never seen one that would ban someone for what you posted before. And I certainly have not seen one where the moderators are so insecure in that decision they pull a stunt like this!

Glad you are over here with us.

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Well I doubt a law suit would get very far and besides I am an open kind of guy. Like I said, if you want to talk to me I'm there for you.

My intention was not and is not to keep knowledgable plumbers from posting on any site. Only to remind them of the consequences for some of the things they may inadvertently post. There are plenty of questions we can answer and lots of good advice also. Any doctor will give you good advice, but he's not going to tell you how to take your own appendix out.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Well I doubt a law suit would get very far and besides I am an open kind of guy. Like I said, if you want to talk to me I'm there for you.

My intention was not and is not to keep knowledgable plumbers from posting on any site. Only to remind them of the consequences for some of the things they may inadvertently post. There are plenty of questions we can answer and lots of good advice also. Any doctor will give you good advice, but he's not going to tell you how to take your own appendix out.
        Believe me, I was not encouraging litigation, just saying that if what you did was rude in his estimation, what he did is worse IMO.

Eli
        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I hope you're not implying I was wrong to remove my appendix.

Comment

Well, he thinks bidet seats make the perfect gift I never got past that
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

There is another email address on there as well. Along with a phone number. Then a sladerous post regarding the person. Things people would say over the internet...but never to a persons face.

Comment

This is sort of an apology, Master. 4 years ago, I would never have considered using pex or plastic for water piping, and never thought I'ld see the day I'ld use an AAV. The company I'ld started working for a year earlier had been using this stuff, doing apartment buildings of all things with it. Had been for years. I started to realize times were changing, like they did when drain pipes went from CI to copper than PVC. I still do mostly copper, and will run a vent if the option is there without a pipe running on the outside of a wall. But the fact is, times are changing, and there's not much I'm in any position to do about it. The people who are
                in position are the people who have some influence with the people writing these codes. If they permit it, it will happen.
                That said, I guess my timing on the ask a plumber about the AAV's was pretty bad.
                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Thanks. I only have a problem with AAV's because too many plumbers are using them for an excuse to be lazy. It was not that long ago that there was no such thing and even when they became available it too an act of congress to get a plumbing inspector to let one go. New that the IPC has decided to allow them it seems like a lot of guys are more than willing to take the easy way out. As far as pex is concerned, I jumped on that wagon the second I saw it. My area is known for horrendous water conditions and it's not umcommon for L copper to pin hole in under ten years around here.
                  I am also fully aware that a lot of folks, particularly the Diy guys think I'm a crotchity old bastard but to defend myself, I spend a lot of time in the classroom, 5 to 6 days a week and two nights also. I teach kids from 16 to 18 and then the apprentice guys at night. I try to give them some plumbing knowledge. I tell them my experiances both good and bad. I hope that along the way they will turn into the kind of plumbers that I would have no problem in hiring at my own company. But sometimes I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle. New Hampshire has open book exams. We adopted the Idiots Plumbing Code. Our inspectors are more interested in politics than plumbing and the local chapter of the PHCC only want's to sell 150 dollar code books. It seems like those at the top are more interested in dumbing down the profession than building it up.
                  sigpic

Comment

nh as well you know some people start off this life as as#hol#es and just grow bigger, you do this forum justly and your opinions are always well received by those that not only possess but know how to use there brains for something other than an easy chair.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Thanks. I only have a problem with AAV's because too many plumbers are using them for an excuse to be lazy. It was not that long ago that there was no such thing and even when they became available it too an act of congress to get a plumbing inspector to let one go. New that the IPC has decided to allow them it seems like a lot of guys are more than willing to take the easy way out. As far as pex is concerned, I jumped on that wagon the second I saw it. My area is known for horrendous water conditions and it's not umcommon for L copper to pin hole in under ten years around here.
                      I am also fully aware that a lot of folks, particularly the Diy guys think I'm a crotchity old bastard but to defend myself, I spend a lot of time in the classroom, 5 to 6 days a week and two nights also. I teach kids from 16 to 18 and then the apprentice guys at night. I try to give them some plumbing knowledge. I tell them my experiances both good and bad. I hope that along the way they will turn into the kind of plumbers that I would have no problem in hiring at my own company. But sometimes I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle. New Hampshire has open book exams. We adopted the Idiots Plumbing Code. Our inspectors are more interested in politics than plumbing and the local chapter of the PHCC only want's to sell 150 dollar code books. It seems like those at the top are more interested in dumbing down the profession than building it up.
                      Quite frankly I think attitudes like yours are the only thing that are keeping this trade from becoming third world equivalent.
                      Screw indoor plumbing, just get a bucket and dig a hole!
                      The day you popped in and went off on the politics of big business influencing code approvals I knew you were gonna be great for the forum.
                      The dry, crotchety humor is just a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by PCPlumber
                        I hear you loud and clear. We complain and help the customer at the same time.

It would be really great if we had some statistics that show how many people get killed by work performed by unlicensed contractors and homeowners. Then, we could work toward reversing what the big chain home centers did to us poor plumbers. We used to have respect equal to the airline pilots back in the 50's......and even the stewardesses.

Jack
                        This might be a good place to start...looks like it'll take a little leg work...

III - Homeowners Insurance

Comment

Thanks Duck's, Geeze don't get me started on business influence. Some glossy ads for waterless urinals just came in the mail. Woooopeeeeee............
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X