X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad product designs

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    American Standard Vent-Away
    All time winner of retarded plumbing design.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Kohler widespreads.
      trying to tighten the spout tee assmebly as well as the comp. hoses under a pedastil when a basin wrench is too big to grab them and your fingers ain't gonna fit without twisting the spouts position above, then hoping they're tight enough as you open the stops.
      Don't you assemble the faucet before you set the bowl on the wall, Duck? I even put the j-bend on the tailpiece before I set the bowl. That way I don't have to fight the pedestal trying to tighten the j-bend top nut. A friend of mine uses a pair of channellocks with the handles cut off to reach into such tight places. I prefer preassembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        Don't you assemble the faucet before you set the bowl on the wall, Duck? I even put the j-bend on the tailpiece before I set the bowl. That way I don't have to fight the pedestal trying to tighten the j-bend top nut. A friend of mine uses a pair of channellocks with the handles cut off to reach into such tight places. I prefer preassembly.
        I'm referring to replacements.
        And the thought has crossed my mind to just disemble the whole pedastil, it probably takes the same amount of time but caulked lines can rip paint & drywall on a pedastil.

Comment

I predict at least 300 posts for this thread. Could probably come up with half of them myself but I'm busy.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

i hate pullout kitchen faucets and kohler shower valves
            i also hate kohler customer service
            and kohlers unhelpful website
            and kohler replacement parts

HERES AN IDEA TO MAKE KOHLER RICH----WHEN SOMEONE CALLS FOR REPLACEMENT PARTS, SEND A NEW MOEN FIXTURE--IF THEY FAUCET PARTS, SEND A NEW MOEN FAUCET--SHOW VALVE PARTS, SEND A MOENTROL---TOILET PARTS, SEND A GERBER TOILET

I HATE KOHLER

Comment

I'd hate Kohler, too. But, the parts distributor for my neck of the woods is in my town and he's a friend, in fact, our companies have been friends for over 50 years.

Comment

I love Kohler.
                All the fixtures in my house are Kohler. They are easy to get parts for around here. Beautifully designed American fixtures, the best. Moen, delta, price pfister, etc. all look like cheap junk compared to designer Kohler fixtures.

Comment

This is my all-time favorite pedestal. Memoirs.

I also have the Memoirs toilets...I love the square tank-lid and square base. I picked these fixtures out long before I ever owned my first house...and of course bought an installed them immediately.

Comment

if u like kohler, you must not have much of it in ur area--here its junk depot's biggest seller(cheap $ and cheap quality)--but thats my opinion--if u have good luck getting parts, please pm me ur dealer for them-- the supplier out here carries kohler, but knows nothing about it--thats the #1 problem

and for moen---the factory is right down the street and the rep is excellent--also moen has some very nice designer products too--much higher quality than kohler--oh-and it lasts a lot longer and moen has better warranty
                    ---moen=------kohler=

atleast someone has luck with it

Comment

also i think its a sin for a plumber to say price pfister or glacier bay

Comment

I have been installing Kohler since I think before the big box stores... I have yet to see any american company that makes anything at their quality.

Moen, really? Never seen anything very 'upscale' by Moen. Most of their stuff is joe average in quality. Though you are right, Moen (and delta) are really service-friendly easy to get parts, etc. They don't have nearly as many upscale design choices though.

Comment

if u like kohler, you must not have much of it in ur area--here its junk depot's biggest seller(cheap $ and cheap quality)
                          No offense, but it seems you don't know very much about plumbing fixtures. How long have you been plumbing?

Kohler cheap? Not for an american company.

This simple sink by Kohler retails for $2,130.50

Comment

Of course, if you really want upscale, then you have to go to Germany (kind of like cars).

Dornbracht. Insane stuff.
                            Last edited by Service Guy; 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I'm not completely anti Kohler or anybody....yet. I do run into the same problems as plumberjr. with Kohler. (See Thread-Kohler Sucks).

This is what I've seen:

In some areas good plumbers hate Moen-Love Kohler.
                              In some areas good plumbers hate Delta-Love Price Pfister.
                              In some areas good plumbers hate Kohler-Love Moen.
                              On and on and on.

I like the Kohler designs but I don't like having to repair something older where parts aren't available locally.

If you ever do a new bathroom with Kohler specd. special orders get ready for some frustration in my multiple experiences.

I've had the best experiences with Moens' customer service and parts. But it's not promoted or installed much here. They offer a full range from budget to custom like almost all brands now.

Delta and Kohler dominate my area. Their equal in my opinion with neither really overwhelming me.

I've done Grohe and Hansgrohe that worked well when installed/adjusted correctly. But they also have some things I don't like either.

Guess there's no perfect fixture.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                I like the Kohler designs but I don't like having to repair something older where parts aren't available locally.
                                True, Kohler parts aren't near as common and easy to get as Delta for example. I think every hardware store in the country carries delta springs and washers.

Comment

Working...
                                X