X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad product designs

serviceguy must not have moens high-end catalog--just as pricey and they even have some of the german looking stuff--ive done my time plumbing,and as stated earlier, its very hard to get kohler parts in this area--they do have nice designs, as all do--its just not worth the headache, knowing ill have to service it someday and parts aquisition is a nightmare--everyone has a choice and mine is not kohler-
    and i started working in the field at 15 years old installing all underground for new commercial and residential

Comment

also if u would pay 2 grand for that sink, you are crazy

Comment

Actually I have seen some 'high-end' Moen stuff. The customer remodeled her bathroom for a $20,000 or so. The plumber talked her into Moen fixtures. The stuff looked kind of fancy, but 'cheap' quality to me. She hated it, ripped it all out a few years later and chose Grohe fixtures instead.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I am not a big fan of Kohler. I think their stuff is just o.k. I have had way to many issues with their mixing valves especially the 3/4 valve which most supply houses here push on the homeowners. Right out of the box I've had leakers. Ever see the cost of a replacement 3/4 mixing valve cartridge. Way too expensive for a Kohler part. Speaking of Kohler parts they have way too many different cartridges.

Comment

I really don't care either way actually. As many of my friends here know....I LOVE playing devil's advocate. (especially in the political threads). I just thought I'd offer an alternative view to all the Kohler bashing, the other brands are really no different imo.
            Last edited by Service Guy; 08-05-2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Right Master! Where Delta and Moen seem to have built fixture around their internal design. Kohler seems to have designed fixtures then multiple cartridges to go in them.

But this is not just a bad plumbing design thread so......

I don't like the super sensitive EGR systems on almost all vehicles now that will activat the check engine light with the vehicle running fine.

J.C.

Comment

agree about cartridges

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                  also if u would pay 2 grand for that sink, you are crazy
                  Why is that? 2 grand is pocket change for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy
                    Why is that? 2 grand is pocket change for some people.
                    That doesn't make it sane.

I've had far too much trouble with Kohler products. Many years ago I worked plumbing a housing tract and the general was supplying all the materials. (He had a plumbing contractor's license from back in the days when you could just buy one.) He was supplying Kohler tub valves. These were the ones with the rubber sleeve and plastic finger - anybody remember those? I think the replacement parts are usually listed as Kohler/Bradley.

About one out of three of them leaked upon installation. Usually, it was a manufacturing defect involving a bit of SS mesh stuck through a rubber gasket. I switched him to the old Moen - the one before the Posi-Temp and balanced valves - and had no more problems.

I just think that Kohler is poorly designed. I could get more specific on any number of their stems and other parts. Seeing all those kitchen faucets with soap eating away at the plastic base should turn anyone off. Of course, Moen makes 'em like that, too.

Comment

You are such a good business person that you could fill that sink with popcorn! .

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        You are such a good business person that you could fill that sink with popcorn! .

J.C.

No, not really. Maybe someday.

Its like art. So people who like art and pay thousands for it are 'not sane'? I disagree. If I want that particular sink-art in my bathroom and I have the money to buy it....whats 'insane' about that?

Comment

True dat, Carl. There's a reason for the budget to custom line. Right?
                          They sell every Ferrari they build? Right?

Like plumbing of dreams, "If you buy it, I will come....and install it."

J.C.

Comment

Hell, if you want awkward, fancy and overpriced crap...cut out the small talk and get a Pegasus, it ensures future service work...in the almost immediate future.

I used to badmouth Price Pfister too.

I had a homeowner that was fussy about what they wanted a while back, finally after going back and forth with him over what faucets he liked, I simply gave up trying and told him to pick up his own.
                            I told him that no matter what, don't get a Glacier bay (he was fussy, so that wasn't likely), don't get a Pegasus, don't get a Price Pfister.

He forgot the last part and got Price Pfister.

I have to admit, I liked the faucet.
                            He got a higher end Pfister, I was more accustomed to their low end crap from doing new construction.

JCplumbing is correct, many of the assumptions made on names are often superstition.
                            Though I do like some Kohler products, I will say I agree that they definitely tend to overcomplicate things and make too many parts as well as skip on common sense when it comes to the installers perspective.
                            They seem to pick form over function, and I often wonder if the engineers think they fascinate plumbers by making them complicated.
                            Last edited by DuckButter; 08-05-2008, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I just realized why defending Kohler on this site feels like defending Obama in the political threads, they have something in common...

...sure, they look nice in the media photos and can be quite fancy sounding, but most people here feel that both Kohler and Obama are impractical and over-priced!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                                looks like fun for my k-6 auger---cant wait
                                We have a general drop head auger and couldn't get through, no matter how soft we turned the handle or how "precise" we were trying to get around the trap (probably something stuck in there, though). In my van, I have a K6, so maybe it's better
                                YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                                X