Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pricing scenario

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
    you know what irks the h#ll outta of me is the fact that not only did you go above and beyond but your imagination as well as your skill as well as your ingenuity i could go on all day was met with a grimace, i say [this goes out to your customer and the last half is to you] stick the cleat were the sun dont shine and what ever you charged was not enough.
    This is the very nature of my disposition when it comes to this topic...people just don't have a concept of what work is involved as well as what overhead costs.

Sometimes after quoting a flat rate and hearing they couldn't beleive how much work it took, I seriously consider doing T&M when I think of the jobs that don't go so smoothly.

Hour per hour I'd average the same, I do it for the assurance most customers want before I go there.

AS for the o/p...BRILLIANT solution.

The one thing I might have done different (and it's always easy to be a back seat driver) is to have given him the option of bracing it outside the bowl for a lower price and anchor it that way if he felt it not worth the effort to pay for all the trouble the other way.
    For what it's worth...I'm stealing your idea...EXCELLENT fix, great job!

Comment

no-no-no----i said i do not like and wont use flat rate pricing---to me its a large gamble-- i dont like the idea of u win some, u lose some---i said id rather stick to t&m and know positively that im making money on all work done
      also, also at the top right corner of this post is my job title--i run the service dept-- we also have an install dept--install does large projects and any project that would consume more than 1 -1/2 days---i have a very swamped service dept--right now and usually all year im booked for about the next 10 days--now i do leave 1 slot open in each servicemans schedule for emergencies--i cant be tied down for that long--id rather bill 7 jobs in a day at 96.50 an hour than be on a quoted project at 75 an hour-----see my point??? call me greedy, but i run a service dept with heavy traffic--my guys are always on the move--we make a real good living

for a plumber that works by himself and does everything himself,i understand that you dont have a choice , but to do it all--our system works well and we do have over 20,000 customers--we must be doin it right

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
        Thats funny I didn't notice a price?!

Ben, how many jobs have you come across that are similar to this?

You've 'been around awhile' and I'm curious.

There's always something new to learn, and some will take you by surprise.
        Good point you make. Never made a toilet tiedown so I might of passed on this job or done it a different way. However, if you're familar with the basic steps then any job can be figured out within reason.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

$96.50 an hour! You are way low!

Leonard Jack has proof that you should be charging $250.00-$300.00 to be operating a business correctly.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
            Ever give a price for a bathroom renovation? I guess you give a t & m price for that? I would have given an upfront price too, it's not rocket science. You dont need a price book to give a flat rate price, the book is just part of an image. I would have seen what type of toilet it was, how much room there was to work in the bathroom, and would have taken all the particulars in my head and give a price in a matter of minutes. Again, not rocket science.
            You'll find a post from me in the archives worded almost identical to that.

Comment

come out here and try charging that an hour--youd move back in a month, as youd never get a call

Comment

please post this proof------------please

Comment

Originally posted by boillerman View Post
                  We do T&M not to exceed $whatever. That way they know up front what it could be, but if all goes good it could be less. Giving a price up front on something that goes over a certain number of hours usually has a lower hourly anyway, you have to price service hourly higher.

Just curious, did anyone try caulking the toilet base and puttying the inside of the rim?
                  Similar, "existing piping & conditions" clause.
                  If the drainage in the wall is galvy and it starts falling apart, they were told in advance that it would be exrta.

Comment

Leonard Jack can prove it. He teaches us.

J.C.

Comment

who is l.j?????????

Comment

if you dont mind, whats ur hourly rate for service

Comment

No disrespect to you at all. I do not discuss prices on the forum.

J.C.

Comment

fair enough, but who in the h3ll is L.J

Comment

Look for pcpplumber or something like that. He came to us as leonard than changed it to jack, nobody can figure the guy out. I have my opinion about him, I'll let you make up your own.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Check your PM in the right corner.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X