X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing scenario

Original call was for toilet leaking around base....This is the 3rd call for the same problem (first time for me).

While talking to the Customer he stated that his daughter, who is disabled must be lefted on/off the toilet and often kicks the front of the toilet in the process. Because of this the front of the toilet slides up to 3 inches in either direction. He asked me if I could stop that from happening.

I told him I could devise a stop (cleat) that would be fastened to the floor, that would fit in under the front of the toilet (cavity). He thought that was a great idea & gave me the okay.

After removing the toilet, I took a piece of cardboard and made a template of the exact shape of the inside cavity. Went home machined a cleat that would fit perfectly. I used an old self healing cutting board.

I then marked my holes by duck taping the cleat to the floor and setting the toilet on top to verify position. When satisfied, I drilled into his tile floor/cement slab, used plastic mollys, SS screws and fastened the cleat to the floor.

The toilet fit perfectly and you could kick the front of the toilet without it budging.

Approx 2.5 hours work time (including driving home and the machining the cleat)

My Customer stated that I did a great job with a great idea for a "permanent" solution to the problem. He paid me with only a slight grimace and stated that he hoped it would be a little less.

My question is what would you have generally charged for this work?

Re: Pricing scenario

300 to 400 or so if i had to go make custom parts

Comment

Start to finish was around 2-1/2 hours?

$325
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

My Customer stated that I did a great job with a great idea for a "permanent" solution to the problem. He paid me with only a slight grimace and stated that he hoped it would be a little less.
        The scenario you just decribed is why I don't charge T&M. With T&M pricing the customer isn't given a fixed price before works starts, and often is surprised by the cost once the work is done.
        I price every job upfront. I would have given the customer a total price before I even opened my toolbox. That way both parties have a legally binding contract on this specific repair. Also if the customer doesn't like the price, they are free to call someone else.
        Last edited by Service Guy; 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Sounds like you came up with an ingenious solution to this customer's problem.
          Good job.

Comment

Carl, please look up this scenario in your price book and post what it is.

O wait, it won't be in there.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I can still give an upfront price on jobs that aren't listed.

Its actually quite easy. Just figure the T&M BEFORE you do the work. Plus, the OP hasn't even told us what he charged nor how he came up with it

Comment

A T&M Plumber could give an upfront price too, but who's to tell how accurate it'd be?

For you to just jump out and bring out the one liner flat rate thing is frustrating. This topic has been discussed a million times over.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                  A T&M Plumber could give an upfront price too, but who's to tell how accurate it'd be?

For you to just jump out and bring out the one liner flat rate thing is frustrating. This topic has been discussed a million times over.
                  Well, he asked how I would charge and I answered.
                  I would have given the customer a total price before I even opened my toolbox.

Comment

The plumber doing the work decides how accurate he is. After you've been plumbing awhile(not taking a cheap shot), you'll get a feel for how long a job should take. Nice to know you're still around.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thats funny I didn't notice a price?!

Ben, how many jobs have you come across that are similar to this?

You've 'been around awhile' and I'm curious.

There's always something new to learn, and some will take you by surprise.
                      Last edited by Aaron91; 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

so how much was it

Comment

Thats funny I didn't notice a price?!
                          The OP didn't tell us his price either.

Comment

It never matters what another person charges.
                            It only matters what you yourself want to charge.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              It never matters what another person charges.
                              It only matters what you yourself want to charge.
                              J.C.
                              I agree. Add to that: the price I would charge is completely irrelevant since I am not doing the work. HOW the price is figured and presented to the customer is what matters.

Comment

Working...
                              X