Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY call

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    For GOOD reason, we have to sleeve our gas underground.
    I'm so glad they approved PE for gas out here.No more screwing around.

How do you like my Rick impersonation Ben

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I'm so glad they approved PE for gas out here.No more screwing around.

How do you like my Rick impersonation Ben
      HDPE is on its way here...good word from an inspector I know.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        If the secondary pan was sized properly this may have been avoided...

The smaller pan increases efficiency. Energy efficiency is always a trade off.
        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

I've seen them put the backup float switch in the pan, but why don't they go ahead and increase the size of these drains to 1.5" minimum DWV pipe?

I do NOT do HVAC but see or hear about friends that have this setup with the small pan line clogging all the time.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I've seen them put the backup float switch in the pan, but why don't they go ahead and increase the size of these drains to 1.5" minimum DWV pipe?

I do NOT do HVAC but see or hear about friends that have this setup with the small pan line clogging all the time.

J.C.
            You are right but a 1.5" DMV fitting would cost 10 cents more and we can't have that can we? This is one of those areas where capitalism kind of works against us.

I have to say, the quality of a/c units are pretty disappointing these days... basically 11-13 year disposable units. Crap, crap, crappity, crap.
            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

J.C.
              Let me add to that rant, why use a backup crappy mechanical device on a many thousand dollar install when for $40 more you can get a solid state electronic sensor (like Little Giant Condalert).

That would be the kind of thing that I think you could easily sell to anyone who has ever had the pan leak and mess up a ceiling, insulation hardwoods, etc.

Edit: When blowing out the line yesterday, the tech who did my AC tune-up said he thought that blowing out the trap was the most important part of the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Let me add to that rant, why use a backup crappy mechanical device on a many thousand dollar install when for $40 more you can get a solid state electronic sensor (like Little Giant Condalert).

That would be the kind of thing that I think you could easily sell to anyone who has ever had the pan leak and mess up a ceiling, insulation hardwoods, etc.

Edit: When blowing out the line yesterday, the tech who did my AC tune-up said he thought that blowing out the trap was the most important part of the whole thing.
                That would mean you were less than impressed?
                spodelee

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                  That would mean you were less than impressed?
                  The company actually gave me the tune-up for free because of a complaint I had with their plumbing service a few months ago; so I can't complain about the tuneup.

I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't unhappy with it either. He did check the refrigerant pressure and Delta T, which I can't do, and he also leveled out the compressor (it was actually about 2" low on one side). He said an unlevel compressor will burn out faster because the oil is all on one side.

The "clean external surfaces" checkbox was silly, he basically cleaned the top of the compressor and not the coils. I did ask him about that, and he said there was no pollen nearby and it was clean so there was no need; but that you can occasionally have at it with a garden hose.

I do understand why he says the blow out is important though, because it is a 2 second thing that can prevent someone from having big problems. I did think his little paintball CO2 blowgun was pretty cool.

Comment

CPW, what was your plumbing complaint with the company?

J.C.

Comment

The company actually gave me the tune-up for free because of a complaint I had with their plumbing service a few months ago; so I can't complain about the tuneup.

I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't unhappy with it either. He did check the refrigerant pressure and Delta T, which I can't do, and he also leveled out the compressor (it was actually about 2" low on one side). He said an unlevel compressor will burn out faster because the oil is all on one side.

The "clean external surfaces" checkbox was silly, he basically cleaned the top of the compressor and not the coils. I did ask him about that, and he said there was no pollen nearby and it was clean so there was no need; but that you can occasionally have at it with a garden hose.

I do understand why he says the blow out is important though, because it is a 2 second thing that can prevent someone from having big problems. I did think his little paintball CO2 blowgun was pretty cool.
                      Sounds typical of the HVAC industry - no standards - no education - sorry, it should have been more.
                      spodelee

Comment

CPW, what was your plumbing complaint with the company?

J.C.
                        My toilet was stopped up, so I pulled it and it was obviously the line between the toilet in the powder room and the main drain. I knew I was out of my league, so I called them up and asked how much it would cost to cable the drain. They told me a tech would come out for $59 and then tell me how much it was. I said well you're a flat rate shop, can you look in your book before hand and tell me how much the common things the guy would in this situation are. They said no, we don't give phone quotes. I said let me talk to your supervisor, they said no we don't give phone quotes. I said thank you and called someone else, but emailed them through their web site saying that if you aren't willing to communicate with me about price there is no way I am going to have you come out. I know this place does good work, but they aren't cheap and if I can't even ball park, then it it isn't worth the $59 to find out how much it would cost when other plumbers aren't afraid to talk price over the phone.

I was very surprised when I asked about their HVAC inspection that he looked up my previous email and said that they would do it for free.

Comment

My toilet was stopped up, so I pulled it and it was obviously the line between the toilet in the powder room and the main drain. I knew I was out of my league, so I called them up and asked how much it would cost to cable the drain. They told me a tech would come out for $59 and then tell me how much it was. I said well you're a flat rate shop, can you look in your book before hand and tell me how much the common things the guy would in this situation are. They said no, we don't give phone quotes. I said let me talk to your supervisor, they said no we don't give phone quotes. I said thank you and called someone else, but emailed them through their web site saying that if you aren't willing to communicate with me about price there is no way I am going to have you come out. I know this place does good work, but they aren't cheap and if I can't even ball park, then it it isn't worth the $59 to find out how much it would cost when other plumbers aren't afraid to talk price over the phone.

I was very surprised when I asked about their HVAC inspection that he looked up my previous email and said that they would do it for free.
                          Looks like they want to keep your business. And I think you should give them a second chance on the plumbing side.

Like you said, some plumbers in your area will talk price over the phone, but alot of us plumbers have been burned doing that. Flat Rate or T&M. Maybe that's why they were so reluctant to do so.

Glad you got a free HVAC checkup.

J.C.

Comment

Looks like they want to keep your business. And I think you should give them a second chance on the plumbing side.

Like you said, some plumbers in your area will talk price over the phone, but alot of us plumbers have been burned doing that. Flat Rate or T&M. Maybe that's why they were so reluctant to do so.

Glad you got a free HVAC checkup.

J.C.
                            I agree - just to risky to quote over the phone. People only hear what they want to hear. Find yourself in an arguement every time.
                            spodelee

Comment

Charles, I do up front prices over the phone, but others don't.

When I give a price, I stipulate that it's not a guarantee...there's no way to tell what more may be involved without seeing it.
                              Ironically, I know of at least one member here right now who does charge $59 to go out, he won't quote over the phone either...thats not something to expect as a rule of thumb.
                              I have also given consideration to a service charge to go out.

For what it's worth, I'd suggest reciprocating by using them in the future, that was a VERY nice thing they did.

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                                I agree - just to risky to quote over the phone. People only hear what they want to hear. Find yourself in an arguement every time.
                                Pro's and cons to both sides.
                                I will readily agree with you about being painted into a corner with customer expectations, they ALWAYS expect the more convenient answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X