Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duck butter is busted

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I wear glasses and type bold font, I see it fine.
    Duck, nice work. Funny how I can see where the inny and outy hits are. I guess inhaling lead vapor for all those years has some people losing their eye sight. BTW if the lead sinks too far, you do need to use more oakum, the 70's was a long time ago.

Comment

GAwd, how did I miss the fun on this one.

I can see the marks, though the pic is a bit unfocused. I'm probably up on all of you guys cep't Jonsey cause we do a unit on lead joints.
      sigpic

Comment

Well I'm up early today, It's a big one. My 1st Home Depot class , I'm so excited ! We're
        All going to learn how to pour and pack lead joints. We'll even do an upside down one
        at the end ! A nice Man from New Hampshire has flown all this way, in a great little blue plane, to teach this class ! Hope the toddlers don't get burned ! I do see the caulking marks
        on My Mac, Duck, You've been had
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Well I'm up early today, It's a big one. My 1st Home Depot class , I'm so excited ! We're
          All going to learn how to pour and pack lead joints. We'll even do an upside down one
          at the end ! A nice Man from New Hampshire has flown all this way, in a great little blue plane, to teach this class ! Hope the toddlers don't get burned ! I do see the caulking marks
          on My Mac, Duck, You've been had
          I don't know how to explain this to you Tool.But waste doesn't drain upside down.

Comment

I didn't say It does ! Last night I found a great article by an older plumber about lead pouring. As an apprentice His first job was melting down the old lead shower pans and lead
            closet lead to re-use. He also describes, pouring an upside down joint. It's a great read.
            I'll try you find it for You , SMART A$$ http:/contractormag.com/columns/yates/cm-column-379-
            Last edited by toolaholic; 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM. Reason: found it
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              I didn't say It does ! Last night I found a great article by an older plumber about lead pouring. As an apprentice His first job was melting down the old lead shower pans and lead
              closet lead to re-use. He also describes, pouring an upside down joint. It's a great read.
              I'll try you find it for You , SMART A$$
              Thanks
              Have a Great Day Tool

Comment

They get splatter burns all the time. It's half the fun isn't it?

And you are correct. There are numerous occasions when an upside down joint comes into play, especially on the venting end. More difficult but not impossible.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

I can see the marks, though the pic is a bit unfocused. I'm probably up on all of you guys cep't Jonsey cause we do a unit on lead joints.
                  Ok Duck, I just don't see it, but I will admit defeat on this one since so many others can see it.

I do have a roaming black spot in one eye left over from my detached retina so maybe it is hindering my focus on a blurry photo.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

They get splatter burns all the time. It's half the fun isn't it?

And you are correct. There are numerous occasions when an upside down joint comes into play, especially on the venting end. More difficult but not impossible.
                    AHHH,the mistakes of my youth and experience.The only oldschool venting I've seen out here has been Durham and Gal.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      either 20/20 is not good enough

i need a new computer

or you need a better camera

ben, you have the newest computer here

please post your findings

maybe i'm used to hitting the irons

rick.
                      The resolution of one's computor doesn't matter if you don't know what you're talking about. I've poured 1 lead joint and that ago and that was in navy apprenticeship school so I'm unsure of how good the info was.I'm the last person that needs to critique a poured joint. Maybe we could do a demo at the next round up or make it one of the contests? I'm sure Mark did a fine job or at least good enough for government work.

I do know that lead explodes if any water gets in it; do you preheat your hub or spigot to make no water remains?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

10 more years and pouring lead will just be something the old timers tell tales about. Long live the no hub clamp.

Any one remember how to fabricate a lead drum trap from sheet stock?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

I do know that lead explodes if any water gets in it; do you preheat your hub or spigot to make no water remains?

no, you make sure you don't pour lead into wet joints.

we've all tried to solder with water dripping into the joint. the solder pops and spits at you.

now try this with a pound of lead over 500 degrees and see what happens

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

First thing my dad taught me was Never lean over the lead pot when the swetts running off your forehead.
                            sigpic

Comment

Rick, Joey....
                              I literally thought you two lugnuts were yanking my chain...the lines are openly visible.

Did my time doing commercial, CI undergrounds use ALOT of lead/oakum joints in my state.

I figure you two were sitting at home laughing, thinking I thought I was nuts.
                              Mark pulled a stunt like that a while ago with another pic I took of a drum trap.

The packing lines are there, I can even make out the ripples where the caulking tool hit.
                              Aside from the lines, you can also see the bulge in the lead at least from the outside line.

Tool, in all your time as a tradesman, I am very surprised you don't do these...especially having been from MA.

NH...an upside down joint, NOT something I've done.
                              To be honest this is a situation where I'd pull out the wool, to heck with burning myself....I can easily see the splattering.

The only reason I can imagine having to do an upside down joint is if either you backed yourself into a corner with bad planning, or something was added to the plans after the fact.

I WOULD be VERY interested in seeing one done.

Comment

First thing my dad taught me was Never lean over the lead pot when the swetts running off your forehead.
                                Unfortunately, I found that out the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                                X