polybutylene - what's the fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polybutylene - what's the fix

1987 track house. Broken 1 inch black polybut supply from street to house. Any known cures? Tips? Tricks? Can I couple it with an inline compression coupling and hope for anything positive? Will I did....but it's not buried yet, so I have time to turn back!!!
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-07-2008, 07:45 PM.

Re: polybutylene - what's the fix

You may try to slip PEX through it as a replacement line

I will say it in this situation but you could use a sharkbite fitting. (band-aid fix)

It will keep breaking so if you have the option replace this line completly

Comment

Are you talking about funny pipe(often used for sprinkler lines)? Many people bag on compression coupling but I've done lots of digging on government property and found them still working just fine. I know I installed at least 100 or so after katrina. If you have to use them, use the brass rather then the plastic type.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Rip it out and and have a new water service installed. PB is junk.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I've run lines inside of those before. Yuk but you can do it if it's not too badly damaged or kinked.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

How'bout this

Barbed PEX to pvc coupling. Using a clamp over the fitting. Then I could bridge the gap with PVC.

Comment

rip out the junk and install copper--its time tested and the toughest--most people want the cheap fix, but in my area you are not allowed to use plastic--has to be copper

Comment

Sounds like black Polyethylene-not PB-which can be fine. People have a tendency to use the thin stuff that can rub a rock or something causing a hole eventually. Seen the thick stuff work fine.

J.C.

Comment

HDPE (the high-density polyethylene, the thick stuff) is great for waterlines. Its heavy duty and rated for 200 psi. The thin stuff is not strong enough for high water pressures, and as JC said the rocks rub right through it.

The quickest way to tell the difference is that the thin stuff uses insert couplings while the HDPE uses heavy-duty brass and neoprene compression couplings.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's polyethelyne pipe also. Can't ever remember seeing black PB and 1" is pretty rare also.

I've seen 1hp deep well pumbs hung on the thin stuff before. Well, hung from the safety rope anyway after the pipe broke.
                    sigpic

Comment

If it's HDPE you can butt fusion a repair. Makes it good as new. Downside is the fusion machine requires quite a large hole to maneuver in.

Comment

A section of PB can easily be replaced with PEX with the adapter couplings.

I agree that it's probably not PB. Black PB was used by trailer companies but I've never seen it in a supply house. The carbon black was used to protect from sunlight.

But if it's thin polyethelyne, dig it up and replace it. I've never seen the water service 200 PSI stuff just fail or break. The lighter weight stuff should never be used for anything but sprinkler lines.

Comment

Working...
                        X