X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: At least they used a pan

The boiler drain on the safety pan is classic!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      The boiler drain on the safety pan is classic!
      Anything less would appear "unfinished" like some hack had done it.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Every single one of you guys totally missed the point here. "At least it works" and really, isn't that all that matters? Yes it's ugly hack work probably done by a cheapskate. And yes all of the crap fixtures are Glacier Bay but again IT WORKS, so get off my back you guys, all you want to do is rip me off and overcharge me for something I can do myself with nothing more than a shiney orange hard cover book. I can do it HD can help.

I particualry like the ss tubes on the water heater. HO's by them cause they cost a couple bucks more and have the "professional" look. Right up untill they split and flood the house. Why haven't these sub standard things b been pulled from the market?
        sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about the connectors splitting. That won't happen until long after the PVC is destroyed by the hot water. CPVC will handle hot water; PVC won't. "Gee, we had to move the water heater over and we used PVC. I didn't know it could explode like that," is what I usually hear.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            How does shopping in a supply house which has higher prices than HD preserve the trade?
            Because you are not paying to support your competition.

Whether service shops want to admit it or not HD is your competitor.

Comment

Whatever works, eh?
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

That is one of the funniest things that I have EVER seen!!!

Ill bet you he was soooo proud of his inginuity... he even had an extra hole for the soap dispenser!!! That is ok no one ever uses the pop-up assembly anyway.

Glacier bay pedestal basin 8" centerset $65
                4" centerset glacier bay faucet $15
                doing it yourself........priceless!!

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                  Because you are not paying to support your competition.

Whether service shops want to admit it or not HD is your competitor.
                  Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  How does shopping in a supply house which has higher prices than HD preserve the trade?
                  Killer covered the first point - thanks KillerSpider

Somewhere tomorrow at a Home Depot, say about 2:00, you can sit-in on any number free DIY seminars - plumbing, hvac, tile, electrical, you name it, they'll teach it. For every seminar taught, another skilled trades person will work a little less the following week.

Meanwhile, buildings across America slowly cheapen, become less safe and just get uglier. So, the professional tradesman is finally called-in to "clean-up the mess", only to find his first obsticle to be completely unrelated to his craft....

"$422!!! I happen to know that I can get one at Home Depot for $39, how can you possibly charge that much?"

Home Depot is not only your competitor but also your enemy. IMHO.
                  spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                    Killer covered the first point - thanks KillerSpider

Somewhere tomorrow at a Home Depot, say about 2:00, you can sit-in on any number free DIY seminars - plumbing, hvac, tile, electrical, you name it, they'll teach it. For every seminar taught, another skilled trades person will work a little less the following week.

Meanwhile, buildings across America slowly cheapen, become less safe and just get uglier. So, the professional tradesman is finally called-in to "clean-up the mess", only to find his first obsticle to be completely unrelated to his craft....

"$422!!! I happen to know that I can get one at Home Depot for $39, how can you possibly charge that much?"

Home Depot is not only your competitor but also your enemy. IMHO.
                    There is also the fact that they offer installation on just about everything they sell, at least outside of Chicago. So now they are not only taking away the markup on the fixture you should be making, but they are also installing it instead of you.

Comment

I had to resurrect this old thread.

I got called out to this house again a few weeks ago. It turns out that the cold and hot water lines were run in the concrete slab in PVC and had finally burst.

I ended up getting a very nice paying job running new PEX water lines in the attic and replacing the water heater.

While I was working on the house, I found s-traps on the bathtubs, and a scary kitchen sink waste line that I forgot to take pictures of. They didn't want to fix those problems now. Oh well, I know I have another large job in the future with this house.

Comment

I have been writing flat rate plumbing part numbers for months now and it has been three times harder than HVAC thanks to HD & Lowes.

I keep hoping that the financial crisis will take Home Depot down like so many retailers have done; it sure would be sweet to see them fall. Unfortunately, the business model has already been revealed and another would quickly fill their spot in the food chain.
                        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                          And here are the pictures of the pedestal sink from the same house.
                          This has got to be a hoax!

Comment

So, how did they get the pop up to work? (assuming it was working since I see the stopper in the sink)
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                              I had to resurrect this old thread.

I got called out to this house again a few weeks ago. It turns out that the cold and hot water lines were run in the concrete slab in PVC and had finally burst.

I ended up getting a very nice paying job running new PEX water lines in the attic and replacing the water heater.

While I was working on the house, I found s-traps on the bathtubs, and a scary kitchen sink waste line that I forgot to take pictures of. They didn't want to fix those problems now. Oh well, I know I have another large job in the future with this house.
                              So a plumber got a well paying job due to the hackery potentially caused by HD? Hmmmm....another plumbing niche created. You break it, we fix it.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I know this section of the forum is for people who work in the plumbing field on a daily basis, but I have been reading some of the threads in here lately to try and learn a thing or two. I am a contractor and I do mostly maintenance work for a rental management company. I got lucky and got a contract with a company that allows me to make more doing maintenance work then I could make in any one particular field. I do a fair amount of plumbing repairs and most are simiple enough that a monkey could do them. I do not consider myself in any way a professional plumber. I never knew how many people had a deep hatred for HD. I am in home depot on average 8-10 times a week and for me it works out better because Im not just buying plumbing parts or electrical parts, or hardware, im usually buying some of everything. Also, I dont agree that HD is really going to cause the downfall of your career. If you are good at what you do there will always be a need for you. Sadly, most of what I buy is the cheap crap (glacier bay) because its what the owners of the houses want.

Enough rambling and on to the point. While I see much room for improvement on the way that water heater was installed and while I see a few things that are dead wrong (PVC for example) that actually looks better then most of the installs I see on new construction houses. On a side note, I saw a water heater at an old house I was working on today that had PVC for both hot and cold lines, but there were no flexible lines, the PVC was just screwed directly onto the water heater.... Kinda scary.

Comment

Working...
                                X