X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Refused to sign invoice

Went out on Saturday to stop leaking toilet on floor. Found three toilets in reconditioning need. Found too much water pressure in house. Temporary fixed the leaks (3 leaks) and told customer the needed repairs - toilets reconditioning and valve on main line to reduce pressure. Went home/office and email the invoice ($215.00) and put in writing the work needed and the consequences for no fixing the problems ASAP. Customer didn't pay and didn't put attention to the warnings. After the 4th e-mail I notified the owner that I was filing a preliminary notice (lien) .. not answer. I filed for $363.50 and bingo! the customer suddenly appear and he had to pay the entire $363.50 or a final lien was ready to file.
    If a customer, without a reasonable excuse doesn't pay after the 18th day of the invoice I immediately file the preliminary. Surprisingly I never lose and invoice. Now this is Arizona where you have up to 20 days from the moment you start the work to file, but I am sure similar laws are in all the states. File them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Esthy View Post
      Went out on Saturday to stop leaking toilet on floor. Found three toilets in reconditioning need. Found too much water pressure in house. Temporary fixed the leaks (3 leaks) and told customer the needed repairs - toilets reconditioning and valve on main line to reduce pressure. Went home/office and email the invoice ($215.00) and put in writing the work needed and the consequences for no fixing the problems ASAP. Customer didn't pay and didn't put attention to the warnings. After the 4th e-mail I notified the owner that I was filing a preliminary notice (lien) .. not answer. I filed for $363.50 and bingo! the customer suddenly appear and he had to pay the entire $363.50 or a final lien was ready to file.
      If a customer, without a reasonable excuse doesn't pay after the 18th day of the invoice I immediately file the preliminary. Surprisingly I never lose and invoice. Now this is Arizona where you have up to 20 days from the moment you start the work to file, but I am sure similar laws are in all the states. File them!!!
      I have few who I have to go after, but for those who do I've found (and this has been comfirmed by my atty) that at least in this area and for the work I do a lien is ineffective; here a lien expires after six mo, and you can only enforce payment if they sell the property as it is caught by the title company at closing... it's mostly for subs who don't get paid by the gc. We use small claims court. Most pay up pretty quick when we send out the letter saying it's going to small claims and getting added charges if not paid by such and such a date.

Got burned on one I can remember; $50 to knock out the knockout on the disposal the father-in-law had installed. They sold the condo. Stiffed the hoa for something like $10k in unpaid dues I heard. I still have their cell numbers; I call them up and leave messages once in a while, tell them they are still deadbeats. Great fun for $50. John and Brigita Dimants, in Chicago (absentee owners of vaca condo here). Don't work for them.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        I call them up and leave messages once in a while, tell them they are still deadbeats. Great fun for $50. John and Brigita Dimants, in Chicago (absentee owners of vaca condo here). Don't work for them.
        I would put that as your message so it's shown every time you post.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          I still have their cell numbers; I call them up and leave messages once in a while, tell them they are still deadbeats. Great fun for $50. John and Brigita Dimants, in Chicago (absentee owners of vaca condo here). Don't work for them.

I`ve got one of those people I call every once in a while in fact it`s been a month or so I think I`ll give em a call tonight your post reminded me it was time for a little fun once again
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

In 20-years of business I had one guy who refused to pay me because I would not lie to his insurance company and one GC who owed me money because he was a flake (RIP) I was trying to help. I figure that is a pretty good record considering I never asked for any up front money on any of our jobs.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              In 20-years of business I had one guy who refused to pay me because I would not lie to his insurance company and one GC who owed me money because he was a flake (RIP) I was trying to help. I figure that is a pretty good record considering I never asked for any up front money on any of our jobs.

Mark
              I observe.

I think your track record has alot to do with your tagline.

You screen the work you take.

I been pretty lucky, but maybe luck isn't it.

If I hear someone asking questions that prioritize price above quality it's a red flag.
              If I'm immediately bombarded a list of expectations and can sense the potential complaints after the fact, another red flag.

It seems like the most demanding customers are frequently the same that want the lowest price.

For some reason the people who are more emotional seem to be the ones that want to haggle on price more, an angry person is a sure sign of someone to avoid...I've had first time customers act as though it's my fault the water heater went.

When a person is so caught up in melodrama that they can't see past their own emotional point of view, it's a good sign they may not be able to see any wrong in writing a bad check, or asking you to send a bill with the intention of not paying.

We all have varying degree's of righteous anger, but when it's evident on first contact, it's a possible sign of things to come.

Comment

You are right on Duck. I have NEVER not been paid so far. I communicate everything with my customers upfront. A few times I got that funny feeling about a job or a customer and I walked off, told them to call someone else. I think thats why I have always been paid. I know which jobs/people to avoid before I even get into a job.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

ditto everything sguy just said--except the popcorn thing

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    You are right on Duck. I have NEVER not been paid so far. I communicate everything with my customers upfront. A few times I got that funny feeling about a job or a customer and I walked off, told them to call someone else. I think thats why I have always been paid. I know which jobs/people to avoid before I even get into a job.
                    I upped you one by giving them my competitions phone number.

Mark

Comment

Lol....I just overbid a job because I know the homeowner will be a pain. All of my larger jobs require half down of course, this does cover material as well as some labor.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                        Lol....I just overbid a job because I know the homeowner will be a pain. All of my larger jobs require half down of course, this does cover material as well as some labor.
                        Exactly to both points.

I gave up on lowballing for customers who specifically asked for low price, except as a last resort when times are very slow.
                        Even in those times I've been burnt when the calls start coming in and I'm busy workin' fer beans.

Even if the job goes well and you manage to "escape" with a small profit, they call back with the same expectations later, not a good investment in your future.

I do 50% up front, though Cali doesn't allow them to do that (major bummer), that ensures I walk away with at least something to show for my time & effort in the event the customer gets "weird" on me...has yet to happen, knock on wood.

Comment

Duck,I'm in Ca. On the Up front $$$$$ , I always do one third down. Not legal,never had a problem. We do great work, and much repeat Buss. If We were hacks , that could come back on us !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            Duck,I'm in Ca. On the Up front $$$$$ , I always do one third down. Not legal,never had a problem. We do great work, and much repeat Buss. If We were hacks , that could come back on us !
                            It always amazes me when people admit to breaking the law and committing illegal acts on the WORLD WIDE WEB.

For those who do not know California limits you to 10% down not to exceed $1,000. This is part of the reason I never asked for upfront money. If I am doing a $5,000 job I am limited to a $500 down payment. When clients use to offer to pay me up front money I would tell them no I want you to want to pay me at the end of the job. This of course did not include large remodels or new construction when we took draws after phases.

Tool if you need earnest money for the job I would collect the legal amount and the balance the minute you drop materials on the site. For 20+ years I have been representing Contractors who say "never had a problem".

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              It always amazes me when people admit to breaking the law and committing illegal acts on the WORLD WIDE WEB.

For those who do not know California limits you to 10% down not to exceed $1,000. This is part of the reason I never asked for upfront money. If I am doing a $5,000 job I am limited to a $500 down payment. When clients use to offer to pay me up front money I would tell them no I want you to want to pay me at the end of the job. This of course did not include large remodels or new construction when we took draws after phases.

Tool if you need earnest money for the job I would collect the legal amount and the balance the minute you drop materials on the site. For 20+ years I have been representing Contractors who say "never had a problem".

Mark
                              Why wouldn't you take the $500 deposit (or did I misunderstand your statement)? Don't you think it's important for the client to financially commit to the project? Just curious.
                              spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                                Why wouldn't you take the $500 deposit (or did I misunderstand your statement)? Don't you think it's important for the client to financially commit to the project? Just curious.
                                No that's just how I rolled (now I feel hip). The truth is $500 was not going to make or break me and the client generally felt more confortable when I put trust in the fact I knew they would be happy with our work.

It's not something which would work for everyone but I was comfortable in the fact that I knew they would be happy with our work when we were done. These were smaller jobs like repipes and what not which were generally under $10,000. When we were doing larger projects we did 30% ground/30% top-out/30% finish/10% retention.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X