X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Refused to sign invoice

Mark ,Does this make You feel big ,playing cop ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      No not at all tool as we all have little things which we do. I am merely suggesting you do not broadcast it on the Web. I have had things which I posted on this site pointed out to me by guys I was working against on cases. We all get a warm and fuzzy feeling when we are on a site which feels like home to us. However, we need to remember there are no doors on this site.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Tool, for what it's worth, I'd just take the advice.

Dunno what penalties could be imposed, but he see's the end results for a living.

Comment

I understand. When I'm ordering $40"000 worth of custom Pella windows and doors ,
          10% doesn't cut it ! I have to cut a $20,000 check to Pella ! It's also against Ca. Consumer Affairs Law to ever charge time and Material. This from our friend SAM U KNOW WHO at a Con't lunch. How many do this on a daily basis? I do, Oh there I go again !I'm a big boy
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Cali baffles me, rather than make legitimate contractors lives miserable, why not go after illegals?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              Cali baffles me, rather than make legitimate contractors lives miserable, why not go after illegals?
              They do a little of that as well. They recently sent a guy to prison for just under three years for using his fathers license and pretending to be the dad. That said I don't believe enough enforcement is done. Until recently the CSLB could only go after licensed contractors as unlicensed fell into law enforcement and they saw it as a minor crime. Now the CSLB can go after anyone making Home Improvements.

Mark

Comment

Are you kidding me? You can't legally get more then 10% down on a contract job?

For boilers, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. I get 50% upon signing and break up the last 50% in 2 payments.

Comment

CSLB Does VERY little to assist Licensed Cont. They make a big show busting a small #of unlicensed Contrs. It's like They look down on the folks paying there way.I have no respect for any of them!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    They do a little of that as well. They recently sent a guy to prison for just under three years for using his fathers license and pretending to be the dad. That said I don't believe enough enforcement is done. Until recently the CSLB could only go after licensed contractors as unlicensed fell into law enforcement and they saw it as a minor crime. Now the CSLB can go after anyone making Home Improvements.

Mark
                    I hope the recent CSLB changes work because my greatest competitive threat is without a doubt licensed contractors that break the rules which they promised to follow; especially in regard to permits!

I fear however that the CSLB will continue to be drawn to the higher profile "unlicensed case" because that is where the press and an elevated public profile lies (more budget money).

It will not surprise me if it takes additional pressure from the California Energy Commission before the CSLB truly enforces Contractor license law. I would have never imagined that the Cal Energy Code might turn out to be the mechanism that finally causes California contractors to play by the same set of rules.

BTW, IMHO, non-California contractors might want to watch this energy standards thing real close. You're probably next... one state at a time.
                    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

CSLB is there to protect the consumer not the contractor. That is why they are a division of Consumer Affairs rather than their own entity. Contractors need to join private groups if they want any pull with the CSLB.

Mark

Comment

Mark
                        CSLB is there to protect the consumer not the contractor. That is why they are a division of Consumer Affairs rather than their own entity. Contractors need to join private groups if they want any pull with the CSLB.

Mark
                        This is the disconnect that I have never understood. Enforcement of CSLB law protects the consumer, yes? If it was enforced, it seems to me that many (not all) of the competitive issues that contractors face would be resolved... well, let's just say improved; a coincidental side effect.

As for contractors lobbying, doesn't seem we will ever get there. Not enough higher education in the trades and consequently, we spend too much time fighting among each other. As a group, I'm not sure we will ever be as smart as, for instance, the pharmaceutical industry. Maybe as buildings go high tech a new breed will evolve that will recognize the value in a cooperative effort.
                        Last edited by spodelee; 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM.
                        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
                          This is the disconnect that I have never understood. Enforcement of CSLB law protects the consumer, yes? If it was enforced, it seems to me that many (not all) of the competitive issues that contractors face would be resolved... well, let's just say improved; a coincidental side effect.

As for contractors lobbying, doesn't seem we will ever get there. Not enough higher education in the trades and consequently, we spend too much time fighting among each other. As a group, I'm not sure we will ever be as smart as, for instance, the pharmaceutical industry. Maybe as buildings go high tech a new breed will evolve that will recognize the value in a cooperative effort.
                          As an example of Trade Organizations lobbying Sacramento, I have belonged to PHCC forever and $25 per month of my membership dues go directly to lobbying efforts. A close friend of mine was just elected President of the California Chapter and I think you see more of an emphasis on new construction type issues.

Mark

Comment

I also contribute $$ through My builders ASSOC. I feel My hard earned $$ is paying for
                            expensive lunches, making the fat People I don't respect, FATTER! Checks stop NOW!

Comment

Working...
                            X