X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sold some copper fittings today

At the completion of a super Walmart, my scrap usually fetches on average about 700 bucks. The refrigeration contractor on the job whom I have done many of these stores with comes out with about 2500 dollars worth of scrap. He is robbin his company blind. I have seen him cut 18' joints of 1 1/2 down to take to the scrap yard.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      woooh plumber ,He's an Aussi. He doesn't know our tax laws! Here in the US, All licensed plumbers have been tax exemt since since 2003. All the Young kids are into computers.
      Our Govt. is begging for Plumbers

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        ouch, i have 5- 55 gallon drums overflowing with #1,#2 and brass/ faucets,tail pieces,regulators.

i even have a drum of everpure h300 filters, but i need to gut them to get any real scrap value on the aluminum.

i have a large collection of copper sweat fittings to 6'',

and a decent collection of propress to 4''.

i would love to shave down my copper sweat fitting inventory.

any takers on real clean fittings?

rick.

ok i will take them off your hands buddy just ship them to me for my birthday
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Had 121 pounds yesterday of #1, Paid $2.93 pound which netted almost $350.

Brought 107 pounds of #1 today, Paid $2.75 pound which netted almost $300.

Not too shabby when you think of getting paid to clean the shop.

Full drywall bucket of copper fittings ranging to 2", never used anything bigger than 1" in the past 6 years
          2000 3/4" copper 45's
          3500 1/2" copper 45's

Numerous rolls of soft copper going from 1/4" to 3/4". I just don't use the stuff anymore, for anything. I do flex stainless for my dishwashers and icemaker lines. And I don't do outside plumbing (Undergrounds)

No way would of someone paid me $650 for all that on ebay, no way. I could almost get rid of all my 45's in both sizes and hold back a bag's worth, it'd last me 10 years.

All the above I bought years ago for next to nothing, it had a value but in order for it be valued, somebody has to want it.

For everyone's information:

A good business friend of mine, one of my investors told me that the bottom is about to drop out of the high scrap metal fiasco.

No way to know if it is true or not.......but like anything, all good things must come to an end.

If I really wanted to, I probably have another 400 pounds of #1 copper I could cash out, but can't find it all. Scattered over numerous areas like brown sugah on crumb cake Haahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

we just had 15,000 dollars worth of copper dwv cut out of one of our projects last night

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              ouch, i have 5- 55 gallon drums overflowing with #1,#2 and brass/ faucets,tail pieces,regulators.

i even have a drum of everpure h300 filters, but i need to gut them to get any real scrap value on the aluminum.

i have a large collection of copper sweat fittings to 6'',

and a decent collection of propress to 4''.

i would love to shave down my copper sweat fitting inventory.

any takers on real clean fittings?

rick.
              Rick, rather than let it go for scrap why not sell them for what they are on eBay or Craigs List? If they are usable,clean fittings, there is bound to be someone out there who will want them of 50-60% of the price of a new 6" Ell which will still be much more than the scrap value.

Or sell an assortment of fittings by the pound. Example: 20 pounds of 2" fittings for double the scrap price + shipping.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

never seen 6 " copper sweat fitts---must take awhile to sweat!!!!! here, over 4" goes to ductile

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                  never seen 6 " copper sweat fitts---must take awhile to sweat!!!!! here, over 4" goes to ductile
                  OH YEAH.... you gotta be nuts to sweat 6" copper. Vic inside ductile outside!

Comment

Last time I was on a job and ran copper bigger than 4" was in 1979 working as an apprentice. We were installing a new boiler in a commercial laundry. Ya definitely got to keep the torch moving on 6" joints. I tried a turbo torch with a semi-circle tip made for big joints but didn't like it. A rose bud worked the best IIRC. Man you can go through some solder when you are running big inch copper all day. Probably ran 300 feet of 6 and 8 inch, plus another 200 ft of 4" and under. I remember unloading the truck and there being 15 lengths of 6 and 12 lengths of 8". We were putting in a heat recovery system as well as piping up the new boiler. This place never had a boiler before this, they picked up the waste steam from a coal-fired electric plant next door(for a price of course). When the utility decided to shut the unit down for good, they had no choice but to put in their own boiler. Was a nice job and lots of OT because they had only a few weeks until they lost their feed from the utility.

I remember I got some scrap from that job but it wasn't much, maybe $20 worth.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                      OH YEAH.... you gotta be nuts to sweat 6" copper. Vic inside ductile outside!
                      You can run copper with vic joints too.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

I know it. Id rather use vic that ductile inside hands down. A lot faster. Anything over 2" domestic we usually use vic.

Comment

used to do a lot of 4,5,6'' copper. we use to t-drill all the branches and these had to be brazed. so we would braze the couplings and 90's too.

on my large t-drill, i could pull a 2'' tee from a 6'' line. therefore saving the $120. fitting and the 2-6'' tee joints. just needed to add couplings every 20'.

i eventually bought a vic. roll groover and use it on 5''-6'' now.

propress to 4'' is the way to go.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X