X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this true in N.Y. City??

Only lead pans,accepted for showers? No hot mop or 40 mil PVC ? I have 2 tar kettles but have great success with PVC. Been around 30 years now.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Is this true in N.Y. City??

Yes

Comment

Recalling the great pride of the old timer that showed me how to make/modify a copper pan, saddens me to have to use 40 mil PVC when price demands it.

Comment

i remember 20yrs ago when i worked in NY i did shower pans in lead with no seams we took the sheet and bent the corners and used a big wood hammer to flatten them out .it was hard work and leak proof
        the good old days

if a NY plumber has a picture of a lead pan they did can you post it
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have seen lead pans leak when I worked in long island, new york. A lot of guys laid the lead right over the plywood...the nailheads in the plywood caused electrolysis and ate holes in the lead...leaks. Of course the correct way is to lay some felt or something under the pan so there is no contact with the nails, then they'll last virtually forever.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Correct Me if I'm wrong. Today we use slope kits and sub drain holes. Any water under tile has a way to drain out. I remember lead and copper flat. No sub weep holes to run off trapped water. Not healthy!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              i remember 20yrs ago when i worked in NY i did shower pans in lead with no seams we took the sheet and bent the corners and used a big wood hammer to flatten them out .it was hard work and leak proof
              the good old days

if a NY plumber has a picture of a lead pan they did can you post it
              Last one I did was 2 years ago and I dont have any pics. I have always built my pans without seams. We used to use 2x4 to fold the pan and bend the corners. The only place we seamed was when we wiped the old urinal strainers. We still have 1 municipality here that requires lead for pans. Next one I do, I will post a pic.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Correct Me if I'm wrong. Today we use slope kits and sub drain holes. Any water under tile has a way to drain out. I remember lead and copper flat. No sub weep holes to run off trapped water. Not healthy!

You are supposed to cut "slices" into the strainer and it would supposedly drain out there. We also lay sand under the pan to pich it toward the "weep holes" that are sliced into the strainer. Stick around pops, you may learn something.

Comment

Thanks' SON, It's a sad day POPS doesn't learn. We all learn until that dirt nap we take

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Thanks' SON, It's a sad day POPS doesn't learn. We all learn until that dirt nap we take
                    Ok, so true pops, so tell me what "hot mopping" is? Hopefully we all dont take dirt naps for a long time.

Comment

Re: dirt nap

"dirt nap" I have only heard that used once in my life. My 5 year old cousin used it when I asked him what happened to his pet rabbit.

"He is taking a dirt nap."

I thought it was embarassing that his own parents couldn't tell him the truth about death. Now the kid thinks his rabbit is just sleeping in the dirt...forever. Sorry your parents lied, but it ain't sleeping kid!

Comment

YAAAWWWN! Its been a long day guys, I think I'll go take a little dirt nap. See ya later!

Comment

I can appreciate the skill in forming a lead pan or copper pan and soldering joints/drains etc. But I wonder if this is living in the past. Is there proof that the vinyl membrane is inferior? Any tests or experiences? Wondering.

J.C.

Comment

Hot tar is mopped into a shower with layers of felt [ tar paper] to form a water tite pan.
                            Have a 40 and 140 gal kettle for roof work. Never did a pan. When a house settles they may leak. Code has us do a 24 hr. water test on pans.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              I can appreciate the skill in forming a lead pan or copper pan and soldering joints/drains etc. But I wonder if this is living in the past. Is there proof that the vinyl membrane is inferior? Any tests or experiences? Wondering.

J.C.
                              I have seen lead pans last 60-80 years. Only time will tell if vinyl will hold up. Is there any proof that vinyl is better then lead? Lead has proved itself...has vinyl?

Comment

Working...
                              X