Price of solder? W.T.F.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price of solder? W.T.F.

It's the exact same stuff at a supply house. I found the flux is more important than the solder. I do like the sliverbrite you mentioned and use this with oatey #95. Works great.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Menards was at $14. Better go back...what gives with the price hike?

Comment

For anyone with a Lowes who likes Sterling.

http://www.lowesforpros.com/pdfs/spe...Plumbing-1.pdf

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          I found the flux is more important than the solder.
          While I can't say about lead free, for electrical-electronics it sure is more about using the correct flux than the exactness of the solder. Manufacturers are trying to go totally lead free but some wild problems come from trying it. Try copper gutter soldering. The right flux (alley made stuff) really works and most ready made paste flux leaves one wanting for better.

While this doesn't pertain to plumbing for electrical/electronics work, I use 60%tin/40% lead and also 63 tin/37 lead allow solder with activated rosin core. Example: Kester 44 ... The price of it is through the roof anymore. I keep looking for deals on eBay and snatch them up when I can. If you can use 40/60 50/50 solid wire (no flux) for some of your work, do prowl eBay as now and then a retired plumber or sheet metal worker has it for sale when he/she has to move.

Comment

I bought 100 rolls of solder in 2002 for $4 a roll off ebay.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I'll weather this storm as I have about half of that left. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

But, instead of charging 5.38 for FSG, now I'm charging $8.50 to follow the current times.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              I bought 100 rolls of solder in 2002 for $4 a roll off ebay.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

I'll weather this storm as I have about half of that left. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

But, instead of charging 5.38 for FSG, now I'm charging $8.50 to follow the current times.

DUNBAR - Doesn't this make you wish you had invested in a TON of solder back then? Think of what it would be like selling it today for $15 per pound.

Comment

Hey Guys, what's HEATING
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Shark bites? Ha, just kidding. But its almost worth while to drag the propress out for as little as 1 fitting.

Comment

I bought 2 from menards. $13.50 a lb. Hodes Co has it for $13.50 a roll. Anyone ever order from them?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      DUNBAR - Doesn't this make you wish you had invested in a TON of solder back then? Think of what it would be like selling it today for $15 per pound.

Well, at the time, I did.

I have no clue how the guy obtained all those rolls but there were numerous brands involved. I've got a bunch of rolls hidden as well so if I do some digging there will be some to use, at least for the next 10 years.

I'm a service plumber so a roll lasts a long time with me.

I'm more of a buyer than a seller because I make myself the #1 beneficiary of my purchases, with dust on the product as no sweat off my brow.

I've never made a killing so to speak off ebay on selling......just buying.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by RIDGID Dave View Post
                        I know a certain company that sells a tool allowing a user to join pipe without using solder!
                        interesting that i met a guy at the roundup with the same name, who is the propress guru

i always charged a solder/ gas fee. typically 5-$10 for the job.

now i charge a propress fee.

a $3000.00 tool is a whole lot more money than a $50.00 torch.

plus i finish in less than 1/2 the time.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

i go to the supply house and just give them a PO# and have no idea how much it is

did some one say Pro Press
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Just got a quote for $16.72 (100#). 6 months ago it was less then $11.00/lb.
                            Thanks for the heads up Masterplumb.

Comment

I like the Taramet solder because it melts at a lower temp than Silvabrite and is supposed to be structurally stronger.

Comment

stopped at home depot tonight lead free soder is going for
                                15.99 a lb the interesting thing is the half lb is 14.85 a roll
                                only a buck difference. and i would think that that's what
                                the home owner buys the most.

Comment

Working...
                                X