Originally posted by where am i View Post
    stopped at home depot tonight lead free soder is going for
    15.99 a lb the interesting thing is the half lb is 14.85 a roll
    only a buck difference. and i would think that that's what
    the home owner buys the most.

Then add the 10% tax....ouch!

Comment

Re: Price of solder? W.T.F.

I just bought 30 rolls of silverbrite for $200 off craigslist.The kids father is a union plumber.

Comment

Originally posted by cjmacph View Post
        i just bought 30 rolls of silverbrite for $200 off craigslist.the kids father is a union plumber.
        score!!!

Comment

I just bought 30 rolls of silverbrite for $200 off craigslist.The kids father is a union plumber.
          You wont need a torch for that solder, I bet its so hot it will melt itself! LOL...

Comment

My wife, before we had children, was a union laborer and would often have to clean up after plumbers and she would bring home almost new rolls of solder all the time, she said the plumbers would use it put it down than move somewhere else to work and start a new roll instead of going back to get the one they started already.They don't pay for it so who cares right?

Comment

My wife, before we had children, was a union laborer and would often have to clean up after plumbers and she would bring home almost new rolls of solder all the time, she said the plumbers would use it put it down than move somewhere else to work and start a new roll instead of going back to get the one they started already.They don't pay for it so who cares right?
              I had referrals to local 12.
              Did the interview, got the nod..after weighing it out I decided against it.

In the end I felt I might stagnate with the work ethic & type of work.

Comment

The guy I used to work for had a friend that was in local 12 for 20 years and all he did was hang pipe.when his boiler went he needed my boss to come change it out for him because he didn't no how to do it.

Comment

The guy I used to work for had a friend that was in local 12 for 20 years and all he did was hang pipe.when his boiler went he needed my boss to come change it out for him because he didn't no how to do it.
                  Exactly, I knew in the short-term I'd make out, but in the long haul I was better off in the "real" world.

Comment

Haha.

So I guess everyone here has worked with 8" Victaulic pipe and fittings?

I guess everyone here has worked with fiberglass pipe?

So as cjmacph points out, there's gonna be stuff you may be fimilar with that I'm not, and vise versa.

Throwing in he is/was union has nothing to do with the situation.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

When I joined the Union, I was lucky. The shop I was in did commercial, service, residential and remodel. Now, on my own, I can be very flexable.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                        When I joined the Union, I was lucky. The shop I was in did commercial, service, residential and remodel. Now, on my own, I can be very flexable.
                        I'm sure you know how unusual that is.
                        Here, most homeowners couldn't begin to afford union rates.

The union generally does large commercial projects here, very political.

There are certain buildings in the Boston area that are "owned" by the union, non union shops are not allowed to work on them.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          I'm sure you know how unusual that is.
                          Here, most homeowners couldn't begin to afford union rates.

The union generally does large commercial projects here, very political.

There are certain buildings in the Boston area that are "owned" by the union, non union shops are not allowed to work on them.
                          It is not uncommon to see union service shops here in the northern part of IL, about 80% of plumbing work done in Cook county is done by union plumbers, and that includes single family homes. It is hard for non union shops to find qualified help and man jobs, it is much easier for them to go union and take advantage of the labor pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                            It is not uncommon to see union service shops here in the northern part of IL, about 80% of plumbing work done in Cook county is done by union plumbers, and that includes single family homes. It is hard for non union shops to find qualified help and man jobs, it is much easier for them to go union and take advantage of the labor pool.
                            GOOD!
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                              Haha.

So I guess everyone here has worked with 8" Victaulic pipe and fittings?

I guess everyone here has worked with fiberglass pipe?

So as cjmacph points out, there's gonna be stuff you may be fimilar with that I'm not, and vise versa.

Throwing in he is/was union has nothing to do with the situation.
                              There is no difference between roll grooving 3", 4" or 8". Roll grooving is not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                                Thats it, I movin' to the windy city.

In a market like that, any plumber's gonna do well.

Comment

Working...
                                X