X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Price of solder? W.T.F.

LOL...even the non union plumbers are making about union scale. They just dont get the benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      There is no difference between roll grooving 3", 4" or 8". Roll grooving is not rocket science.
      Having worked on it in commercial plumbing, I agree.

I think he's looking to defend union, I have no problem with union, but in my area they just don't do much residential construction or service, if any.

A union plumber can actually be cited for grabbing a broom for taking work from a laborer.
      The experience gained is refined to specific branches of plumbing, hence the comment on residential boilers by Cj earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        I'm sure you know how unusual that is.
        Here, most homeowners couldn't begin to afford union rates.

The union generally does large commercial projects here, very political.

There are certain buildings in the Boston area that are "owned" by the union, non union shops are not allowed to work on them.
        Yes, it can be unusual. Many guys I know only worked in the housing market, or high rises. Clean plumbing they call it. Never saw a rodder or used one before. Although sometimes I wish I never saw a rodder either!

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
          It is not uncommon to see union service shops here in the northern part of IL, about 80% of plumbing work done in Cook county is done by union plumbers, and that includes single family homes. It is hard for non union shops to find qualified help and man jobs, it is much easier for them to go union and take advantage of the labor pool.
          Yeah, I dont think that is the case here

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Having worked on it in commercial plumbing, I agree.

I think he's looking to defend union, I have no problem with union, but in my area they just don't do much residential construction or service, if any.

A union plumber can actually be cited for grabbing a broom for taking work from a laborer.
            The experience gained is refined to specific branches of plumbing, hence the comment on residential boilers by Cj earlier.
            Well bragging about rolling 8" isn't the best argument then.

Comment

Back to the title of the thread. My local HD had Taramet Sterling on clearance for around $11.80 lb. Be sure to check clearance and not just the plumbing section. Hope this helps others.

J.C.

Comment

Edit- Nevermind
                Last edited by Aaron91; 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM. Reason: Rethought my comment.
                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                  Ha. Go buy a stick at $4500 for 20' of 8" type L and give it a shot. 8" is a completely different animal.

I'm glad I'm learning more than cpvc and pvc like I was as a rat.
                  Now that you are in the union you probably have insurance.
                  I know that it probably doesn't cover plastic surgery and you probably aren't going for breast enhancement cause we've already seen you as a male.

BUT;
                  Due to the fact that you are in construction and have to walk in between 2x4's with a 14-1/2" space between.
                  You may want to research applying for a cranium deflator.

If you use the proper terminology you may be able to get one before next years roundup.If not,even if you can fit through the doors
                  we're going to have to ask you to sit in the back of the bus...If you wouldn't mind.

On the other hand,I'm glad you're having a good time where you're at Aaron.
                  ADAM

Comment

LOL he quoted you before you deleted Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      LOL he quoted you before you deleted Aaron
                      BADDA-BING!!!

Comment

Adam, that was too funny.

I can only wish you were in my state, it'd be a laugh a minute.

Hope Aaron can take a few jabs, if not he's in trouble in the union as an apprentice.

I WILL agree with what Aaron said about PVC & CPVC, smart move to take in some new stuff, as long as he knows he isn't an impromptu master plumber all of a sudden.
                        Last edited by DuckButter; 08-18-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Yes Mark I do realize that, and thanks for understanding where I was coming from.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron does have a great opportunity especially at his age. As long as he keeps his nose clean and ears open he can go far in this trade. I personally have some of my own views with some unions......such as ELECTRICIANS.... but Aaron stands to learn and see a lot more than he could in a small shop!

Comment

I am glad to say that I know Aaron.He is one of a very extreme few willing to sacrifice and earn in a day when so many of his peers are going waayyy off into left field with self serving,something for nothing but talk attitudes.

God's Speed Aaron.
                              Adam

Comment

Thanks guys.

I worked residential, light commerical and figured it was time to step it up, so I did.

All the rumors I've heard about unions have been proven wrong so far. Only time will truly tell.
                                Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Working...
                                X