X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Moen pressure balance cartridge

do they make a tool for the pressure balance moen cartridges when they are stuck in a valve body?

Re: Stuck Moen pressure balance cartridge

Do they make a tool for pulling the Moen pressure balanced cartridge?

Comment

Yes, it's the same tool you use for the smaller cartridge. At least, the newer styles work. I don't remember the older ones working for them. It looks about the same, except I think there's a slight difference where the center of the tool hits the cartridge body. The nut may be larger, too.

Without the tool, you're likely to bend the stem. It's not unusual for the big O-ring on the bottom of the cartridge to tear off, and sometimes even the big rubber seal can catch on the side of the barrel and tear. Good idea to have parts with you so you don't have to leave the water off.

Comment

Thanks Herk, I must have the old tool because it was no help and I broke the stem off. It was a lot of swearing and chipping and drilling to get it out after that. I'm making my own wheel puller kind of tool next time.

Comment

New one looks like the old one just a little bigger. On the old one I found a 3/8 tap, 3/8 threaded rod worked good for when the inner part of the cartridge popped out on me and left outer part there. Haven't had that yet w/ pressure balance.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilerman
            On the old one I found a 3/8 tap, 3/8 threaded rod worked good for when the inner part of the cartridge popped out on me and left outer part there. Haven't had that yet w/ pressure balance.
            That's great if you can keep it from spinning. I can imagine that if you get a 3/8" rod threaded into it, you can use a large old socket and a washer and nut to extract it.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
              That's great if you can keep it from spinning. I can imagine that if you get a 3/8" rod threaded into it, you can use a large old socket and a washer and nut to extract it.
              Sorry, thought that was understood. The little ears get broke off, then big washer and nut on the rod, it pulls the cartridge loose. If you have to, you can shim between the big washer and faucet to pull it further. Like I
              said, though, I haven't had to do this with the pressure balance yet, don't know what size rod you'ld use or even if.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                Thanks Herk, I must have the old tool because it was no help and I broke the stem off. It was a lot of swearing and chipping and drilling to get it out after that. I'm making my own wheel puller kind of tool next time.
                Hey, thats the exact same method I use!
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

On the old brass 1200 cartridges, Moen used to include instructions for getting them out. (They came in a box then.) It involved pulling out the core, using a small pipe tap and then sticking a hardwood peg in the hole, winding the pipe tap down to force the bulk of the cartridge out of the hole. I think that method could be improved upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
                    Yep Herk and boiler man Thats what I was thinking about. I think what ever size screw holds the handle on is what I would use.

I'm just glad the landlord left and did not see the trouble I had or mess I made

Comment

Hope I word this right and it's the right cartridge. (original or Moentrol ) Been awhile since I worked on Moen. Anyway, I've had luck with Moen cartridges by giving the exterior of the cartridge a little push to the left and right breaking the seal it's been in before I give it a yank. Pull the clip, push the cylinder of the cartridge at the top tab a little both ways and it usually helps. Then, yank'em with the channellocks. Broke the handle puller a long time ago.

J.C.

Comment

I do what want say that Moen does have great customer service. They 2nd day air'd me a cartridge, no questions asked. I am still partial to delta for reliabilty and looks.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Hope I word this right and it's the right cartridge. (original or Moentrol ) Been awhile since I worked on Moen. Anyway, I've had luck with Moen cartridges by giving the exterior of the cartridge a little push to the left and right breaking the seal it's been in before I give it a yank. Pull the clip, push the cylinder of the cartridge at the top tab a little both ways and it usually helps. Then, yank'em with the channellocks. Broke the handle puller a long time ago.

J.C.
                          Twisting is the best trick for the regular 1200 cartridges, but It doesn't work on the positemp pressure-balance cartridges. Those are the ones that always get stuck really bad too.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

OK, it's obviously been awhile since I've had to use that tool, though it still has a prominent place in toolbox #2. The tap and 3/8 threaded rod would be for the 1200 brass cartridge, after the middle stem breaks loose and the first #%$*^ words come from your mouth. I had a friend teach me to do that in Latvian so it wouldn't sound so bad, but you can still tell.

I have never not been able to get the 1225 out with the tool. The Moentrol, on the other hand, I've been lucky maybe but even though some other people may have learned Latvian they have come out.

Comment

Could someone post a pic of this difficult to remove cartridge? I poked around on the Moen site and their schematics but didn't see anything that I couldn't move or "twist" to help remove.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X