MAMA SAY'S STUPID IS AS STUPID DOE'S

FOREST GUMP ! ! !
    You ever been on a shrimp boat?
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Gremlins are at it Again

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Says it all:

"It appeared that the homeowner and the man renting the house had been trying to fix the water heater, which may have contributed to the heater being launched across Thunderbird Road and landing near a bus stop, Phoenix Fire Captain Sam Richardson said. "
      Why the hell would the guy living in a rented house try to fix a water heater. That is the beauty of renting, if your heat, hot water, etc. don't work you call the land lord and if they don't get a plumber to fix it in a day or two; you are legally allowed to pay a plumber and deduct it from your rent (or alternatively not pay rent until it is fixed).

You occasionally get stupid landlords who make more work for themselves; but it really isn't your problem. In my apartment a few years ago, the dishwasher connection started leaking and it took them a week after I told them to fix it; after the walls and ceiling of the apartment below me turned black. Literally one minutes with a wrench would have probably saved them hundreds of dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
        Seemed like the homeowner was confident that his insurance was going to buy him new everything. Guess an autopsy of the water heater will be needed.
        I question that.

In my state it's illegal to do unlicensed plumbing, don't know about AZ.
        I don't see an insurance company paying out to someone who broke the law to cut corners...this could be interesting.

Comment

I keep thinking that if insurance companies didn't pay for damages when they did their own work and made sure the insurance customer knew it we'd have a lot more work. And there would be far fewer dangerous conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
            I keep thinking that if insurance companies didn't pay for damages when they did their own work and made sure the insurance customer knew it we'd have a lot more work. And there would be far fewer dangerous conditions.
            In North Carolina, the Department of Insurance and the Department of Building Codes are practically the same entity. Here it is CLEARLY a violation of state law to work on or install a water heater without a license. Insurance company WILL NOT cover any damages from a water heater that has been significantly tampered with by an unlicensed individual.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

My Father in law is in town from Tucson He told me that you need a permit prior to even Buying a water heater in Arizona. Makes a lot of sense to me. I wish that Ohio would adopt a policy like this to prevent the DIYers from installing something as dangerous as a water heater on thier own.

Comment

I guess I should add that that would help with any new or replacement instal but it still would not prevent any homeowner from trying to repair a tank that is allready there. Like in this example where they capped of a leakin T & P valve.

Comment

I AM CONTACTING THE PHOENIX
                  FIRE DEPT, TO GET A UPDATE ON EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED AND THE DOLLAR LOST VALUE

JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I see an irony.

Comment

I vote that we make this post a sticky so that the homeowners see the dangers in "do it yourself" water heater install

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                        My Father in law is in town from Tucson He told me that you need a permit prior to even Buying a water heater in Arizona. Makes a lot of sense to me. I wish that Ohio would adopt a policy like this to prevent the DIYers from installing something as dangerous as a water heater on thier own.
                        I love it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                          If I recall correct, OH is really lenient on licensing..I recalling correctly?

Comment

I worked on a WH today that was installed by the property owner. Usually, the property manager would send me to do it, but in this case the owner decided to do it himself. So it's been in for four years and there's water all over.

They thought it was the relief valve, but that wasn't leaking. Good thing - it had a twisted, ancient garden hose stuck into it. What was leaking was the flexes - the guy had put teflon past on the dielectric nipples and screwed the brass nuts of the flexes down until he had pushed right through the gaskets and had metal-to-metal contact. I had to use pipe wrenches to get them off.

I replaced the flexes after moving the heater close to the wall. He'd left it a foot away in a small furnace room. Then I ran copper down to the floor from the relief.

Guess what? He didn't save any money in the long run.

Comment

you need a license to buy a split ac unit, a water heater should be the same.
                              all ya gotta do is start lobby for it, start making phone calls and letters to your rep.
                              in congress, in mississippi the home onner has the right to do the work his self.
                              but the inspectors help us out, they will ask a couple of questions,, if he can't answer correctly. he dosen't get the permit. inspectors discreation we are backwards as hell down here, its the good ole boy system.
                              wink wink nod nod. i live in the poorest state in the union. i live in the poorest county in the state.
                              i live in the poorest town in the county. i am the poorest in my town. i must be the poorest sob in the country
                              Last edited by frodo; 08-19-2008, 08:03 AM.
                              I like it like that !
                              and, It's like that now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by frodo View Post
                                you need a license to buy a split ac unit, a water heater should be the same.
                                all ya gotta do is start lobby for it, start making phone calls and letters to your rep.
                                in congress, in mississippi the home onner has the right to do the work his self.
                                but the inspectors help us out, they will ask a couple of questions,, if he can't answer correctly. he dosen't get the permit. inspectors discreation we are backwards as hell down here, its the good ole boy system.
                                wink wink nod nod. i live in the poorest state in the union. i live in the poorest county in the state.
                                i live in the poorest town in the county. i am the poorest in my town. i must be the poorest sob in the country
                                What are you talking about.
                                You got the ring.

Comment

Working...
                                X