X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawlspace ventilation

Working under a government building replacing the cisp and replacing with pvc. Plenty of room under there being 18" and some places I have a little more. Our actual workspace opens up to about 3' which is huge. The crawlspace wasn't deemed a confined space so they say we can work under there but I feel like we need more ventilation. We're about 60+ yards away from the entrance and there's a screened grate about 20 yards in front of us. Getting high with pvc glue isn't my idea of fun. I was thinking about putting 2 fans at the opening to get some air movement. Any ideas?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Crawlspace ventilation

Some of the NiOsh filters & masks can filter PVC fumes. Plus, tell them to get there a** in gear and get out of there.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Working under a government building replacing the cisp and replacing with pvc. Plenty of room under there being 18" and some places I have a little more. Our actual workspace opens up to about 3' which is huge. The crawlspace wasn't deemed a confined space so they say we can work under there but I feel like we need more ventilation. We're about 60+ yards away from the entrance and there's a screened grate about 20 yards in front of us. Getting high with pvc glue isn't my idea of fun. I was thinking about putting 2 fans at the opening to get some air movement. Any ideas?
      Is there 2 means of egress? I believe if there is only one it would be considered a confined space? Also if you work for the government they should have some of those exhaust fans with hoses that pump the air out of the confined space.

Comment

1 means of egress. I've gone through the osha safety supervisor program and know technically this is a confined space. Technically, 99% of residential crawlspaces constitue as a confined space. The base safety office is who gives the blessing off as to where it stands. I feel comfortable working under there but the air doesn't move. One of the guys farted under there today and the smell stayed there for at least 15 minutes. If flacutence stays in the air that long, imagine that voc fumes will do.

Just because I work for the government doesn't mean I "work for the government". We just recently got cordless tools within the last 2 years. Way behind the times.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The fans are a good idea. If you're removing up through the floor, then there will be holes above you ventilating some. And if your working from low end of the DWV to high end you can put some sort of vacuum fan at the high end up until you make the final connections.

J.C.

Comment

Gotcha. I would press the issue about the air though.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
              Gotcha. I would press the issue about the air though.
              You can quit your job, I get told to suck it up buttercup. I try to pick and choose my battles so this one may lay down.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

They also make low VOC PVC glues. I've never used so I can't comment on if they're good/bad. Plus your local Ferg. will probably look at you and say "They make different glues???"

J.C.

Comment

You can quit your job, I get told to suck it up buttercup. I try to pick and choose my battles so this one may lay down.
                  If I quit my job, who will work for me

Comment

touche'
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

1 means of egress. I've gone through the osha safety supervisor program and know technically this is a confined space. Technically, 99% of residential crawlspaces constitue as a confined space. The base safety office is who gives the blessing off as to where it stands. I feel comfortable working under there but the air doesn't move. One of the guys farted under there today and the smell stayed there for at least 15 minutes. If flacutence stays in the air that long, imagine that voc fumes will do.

Just because I work for the government doesn't mean I "work for the government". We just recently got cordless tools within the last 2 years. Way behind the times.
                      ANSI (and OSHA) define a confined space as an area that is large enough to physically get into, one that has restricted entry or exit, and that is not designed for continuous occupancy. In order to be a confined space all three of those criteria must be met.

Your crawlspace meets all three criteria so it IS a confined space.

Now, there is no hazard present in the space UNTIL you go to work and change the conditions in the space by performing your task (in this case using PVC glue). Now the conditions have changed and the space needs to be re-evaluated for the new hazard. NavOSH regs may be a little different than OSHA but in this area they are pretty much the same.

Remember that as a employee of Uncle Sam you are not subject to OSHA, you're "protected" by NavOSH regs. If you were a contractor performing maintenance or new construction for the Navy then your work would fall under OSHA.

Engineering controls (forced ventilation) is preferred to PPE (respirators) but your case may require a mix of both. A JHA needs to be done taking into consideration the glue and primer and any other chemicals in use.

The last two stats below might be of interest to you.

CONFINED SPACE FATAL ACCIDENTS -
                      35% Supervisor or Higher were killed entering the space
                      64% Did not need to enter the space
                      66% of Fatalities occurred on Water/Wastewater/Sewer/Construction jobs
                      78% of the spaces were Oxygen deficient or IDLH toxic
                      95% of those who died had no confined space training
                      100% of those who died had no (or inadequate) powered ventilation
                      100% of those who died had no monitoring instrumentation at the site (to measure hazardous atmosphere)

Click image for larger version

Name:	cbdfb6e9e030d47e3e33fb29b9d8d02d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	4025
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Ben, You're not rennoing the enlisted barracks just N of the mess hall are you (sorry don't remember any of the street names at LC)? I worked on them about 15 years ago. We demo'd back to the bare walls, all new fixtures, carpet, furniture, etc. Sheet rocked those bare block walls and rocked over the crappy ceiling which was the precast painted white with conduit run on the surface and looked like crap.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I've used cheap bath ceiling fans with dryer hose to pump air into enclosed spaces. Good for manholes if you aren't certain about the air quality. Use with a GFI on the cord! They already have a plug installed on them. Spend a bit more and you can get a high-volume model.

Comment

gear its the fart factor that bothers me can your engineers install a diaper with a filter on it to keep you safe from toxic @ss fumes, @hitilation in a tight space is no laughing matter

Comment

Gear Junkie, Please take a prowl on these pages of the WW Grainger catalog. This should give you some ideas on what you need. Don't take crazy chances with your health.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X